Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

ABS question

onekickkawi

I was thinking about the ABS on the bike and how many want to get rid of the rear ABS. I am bypassing the ABS pump to achieve this but it got me thinking. If I made a bracket and routed the rear abs to pickup at the front wheel. Would the system still function? I am not sure if the ABS activates by comparing from and rear wheel speeds?

• Moderators

Welcome to the forum. Searching ABS delete brought up this thread that should help answer your questions. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• AZJW locked this topic
  • AZJW unlocked this topic

My thought process was relocating the sensor (if possible) when the rear wheel is locked up (insert reason) the rear abs sensor will see the rear wheel not moving and activate the ABS pump. This will do nothing as I have bypassed the pump in the rear. However, it's the same pump for the front so if I were to apply brakes at the front wheel it would pulse since the ABS pump is already active and sees the discrepancy. 

• Moderators

@onekickkawi Curious as to why you're wanting to retain the front wheel ABS. Have you had good results in the dirt with the ABS engaged? My experience with the 2021 T7 ABS activated while off road hasn't been a pleasant one as the front wheel tends to give up braking power at the most critical times.  The only times I've almost gone down due to braking was because of the unpredictability of the ABS.

I really like the all off option of the Off-Road mode, but I come from a dirt bike background and never have had a bike with ABS before.

As I understand it, the 2023 Euro model ( 2024 US?) offers 3 modes of ABS, with front on only as one of the options.  What I can't find is if the sensitivity of the ABS unit has been changed or has it simply been given a rear off only mode?  Have you found anything addressing that?

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I love the front  ABS  while riding off-road, I wish I could turn the rear off while off road.   I’m never riding muddy and steep single track on the T7 so I don’t need the front ABS turned off.   That’s just me.  Sounds like the new T7’s ABS options are just what the doctor ordered.  👍👍

2 hours ago, AZJW said:

@onekickkawi Curious as to why you're wanting to retain the front wheel ABS. Have you had good results in the dirt with the ABS engaged? My experience with the 2021 T7 ABS activated while off road hasn't been a pleasant one as the front wheel tends to give up braking power at the most critical times.  The only times I've almost gone down due to braking was because of the unpredictability of the ABS.

I really like the all off option of the Off-Road mode, but I come from a dirt bike background and never have had a bike with ABS before.

As I understand it, the 2023 Euro model ( 2024 US?) offers 3 modes of ABS, with front on only as one of the options.  What I can't find is if the sensitivity of the ABS unit has been changed or has it simply been given a rear off only mode?  Have you found anything addressing that?

I agree the ABS unit is not the best however it is far better than nothing. If this idea worked you would have front ABS only at all times, if you toggled the dash switch all ABS would be off. I want to know if the ABS system compares front and rear wheel speed to trigger or wheel speed to vehicle speed to trigger. I would love to have the rear off, with the option to all off. I like to retain the option to put it all back to stock (even if that takes a few hours).

Just a thought.

If you have an accident and it is determined that your ABS is not factory spec your insurance company will NOT pay out to you or any others involved. Can you afford getting sued by a victim in an accident?

Just a thought.

• Like 1

That would be the most thorough insurance company ever! Also, they would need to prove that altering the ABS but still having a working braking system is the root cause of the accident. Furthermore, since you can disable all ABS and ride around, fully legal, they would have an extremely hard time. 

Good thought for those that are on the fence.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, onekickkawi said:

That would be the most thorough insurance company ever! Also, they would need to prove that altering the ABS but still having a working braking system is the root cause of the accident. Furthermore, since you can disable all ABS and ride around, fully legal, they would have an extremely hard time. 

Good thought for those that are on the fence.

That was my thought as well. With the oem built in option of turning it completely off, it'd take a lot of effort to prove you had it turned off. 

My biggest issues with the ABS system have been when I failed to turn it off on loose gravel and dirt downhills. There have been a few really scary moments when I had almost no brakes and ended up in a corner with huge exposure going more than a bit too fast. I'm a lot more careful about turning it off now. 

• Like 3

I rode most of my life on bikes without ABS.  I simply turn it off in the driveway before I leave now, unless it's raining.  Having it off, knowing you have it off, makes you slow down a bit, be a bit more aware, keep your distance from cars a bit more.  Just my experience.

11 hours ago, TangoSixZero said:

Just a thought.

If you have an accident and it is determined that your ABS is not factory spec your insurance company will NOT pay out to you or any others involved. Can you afford getting sued by a victim in an accident?

Just a thought.

Your going to get sued no matter what you did or didn't do to your bike.  

• Like 1

Back on topic. Does anyone know how the pickups for ABS work? How does it determine slippage? 

• Moderators
On 10/12/2023 at 8:47 AM, onekickkawi said:

Back on topic. Does anyone know how the pickups for ABS work? How does it determine slippage? 

These posts might help.

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/2676-disabling-abs/?do=findComment&comment=32177