Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

DIY Auxiliary Fuel Tank

DVVVDM

Question

After seeing the rather steep price of the Camel ADV auxiliary fuel tank (£402.68 ), I figured that I'd personally be better off taking an additional canister with me. Especially considering the limited amount of times I would actually need the additional fuel. However, I started thinking, would it be possible to DIY an auxiliary fuel tank similar to Camel ADV's system?

I tried searching on the internet, but struggled to find good examples. I saw one guy who bolted a fuel tank to his rear seat. Another who ran a hose from a 2 litre can on his pannier to their main tank. And another who made a very square tank out of steel and bolted that to his pannier. All of these seemed to work ok, but also seemed rather improvised in their final looks and rather limited in capacity.

And then there's the Dakar bikes, which are supposed to have additional fuel tanks fitted all over. Problem is, I couldn't find any detailed pictures of their fuel tanks. Nor could I find out how they produce these special fuel tanks.

Would it be possible to make something shaped to the Tenere's rear, thereby getting better looks while also maximising capacity?

Could this be done with DIY plastic molding?

Could this be done with sheet metal and welding?

Could the rear fairings be removed to make space for fuel storage?

Basically at this stage I am trying to find out whether or not this would be a possible hobby project. I'd appreciate any advice and experience people can share.

Millions unreached, none unreachable.

19 answers to this question

@prowlnS10 Thank you for mentioning the GYTR version. It provided additional examples. Moreover, the mentioning of "resin" led me to some additional google searches. Turns out building your own fuel tanks out of various types of resins is quite popular in the boating hobby. Although I will need to do a little more research to find out which exact material would work for a motorcycle DIY project.

@qInvention After waiting to be allowed to the facebook group, I can tell you that there was not that much more information available. Mostly people asking when the GYTR upgrades would become available to the public. The FB post was from 2 July, so it could be a while before more news comes. I did, however, find a comment from someone who made their own rear tank out of metal. I will definitely look further into that, although my welding friend said it would be a really difficult build. I also found out that Safari is developing tanks that go around the front base of the T7.

@Canzvt Thank you for offering help, I will DM you.

With that, I would consider my initial question answered.

To summarise what I've learned over these last few days: Yes, one can replace the rear fairings with a fuel tank. Yes, it would be difficult to build for someone without experience. Yes, it could be done out of plastics, though it has its disadvantages. Yes it could be done out of metal, though it has its disadvantages. It will (likely) not save costs. Be careful, as a DIY fuel storage will likely not pass an inspection. I could certainly try doing it, and it might be a fun hobby project - but I should carefully consider whether our workshop has the required tools and be prepared for a steep learning curve.

(Edit: just wanted to clarify that I only marked this as the best answer because it summarises the contributions from others.)

Edited by DVVVDM
Mentioned in post.
  • Like 2

Anything is possible if you're talented enough. 

I can make a lot of stuff but I wouldnt tackle an oddly shaped fuel tank. 

Have you seen rotopax? 

Various bladders are available too.

If you don't need it often that's where I would go.

Outbackmototek do pannier racks that will hold rotopax cans 

• Like 2

• Moderators

As noted above,  it's possible,  but talent and funding will be required.  If I needed extended range on a regular basis, I'd lean toward the Camel -ADV solution as it carries the weight lower than the Acerbis 6 gal replacement tank. For occasional use, you really can't beat a Rotopax, mount it low and leave it and the extra weight behind when not needed.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

5 hours ago, DVVVDM said:

After seeing the rather steep price of the Camel ADV auxiliary fuel tank (£402.68 ), I figured that I'd personally be better off taking an additional canister with me. Especially considering the limited amount of times I would actually need the additional fuel. However, I started thinking, would it be possible to DIY an auxiliary fuel tank similar to Camel ADV's system?

I tried searching on the internet, but struggled to find good examples. I saw one guy who bolted a fuel tank to his rear seat. Another who ran a hose from a 2 litre can on his pannier to their main tank. And another who made a very square tank out of steel and bolted that to his pannier. All of these seemed to work ok, but also seemed rather improvised in their final looks and rather limited in capacity.

And then there's the Dakar bikes, which are supposed to have additional fuel tanks fitted all over. Problem is, I couldn't find any detailed pictures of their fuel tanks. Nor could I find out how they produce these special fuel tanks.

Would it be possible to make something shaped to the Tenere's rear, thereby getting better looks while also maximising capacity?

Basically at this stage I am trying to find out whether or not this would be a possible hobby project. I'd appreciate any advice and experience people can share.

Yamaha is developing Acerbis made resin rear tanks to be sold thru their GYTR division that are street legal versions of the metal tanks used on the Dakar race bikes  

380939240_6828733537146820_5622807815682813271_n.jpg

381460610_2630550620417018_1820388763794925722_n.jpg

381512785_2630550673750346_622794268426695933_n.jpg

• Like 6

Those look pretty amazing! Any idea what the cost would be?

14 hours ago, DVVVDM said:

Those look pretty amazing! Any idea what the cost would be?

Cost will be approximately way more than we think 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You can buy one of these to take fuel with you.  Super durable and easy to use.  

Armadillo Bag expedition-ready liquid power reservoir: flexible, collapsible, lightweight, expedition-ready utility bladders for the safe transport and...

• Like 3

On 10/12/2023 at 2:48 PM, DVVVDM said:

It’s funny how people know the price of everything but the value of nothing.

Why even mention the cost of the Camel product, it’s irrelevant.

Just make your own solution, post some pictures and share your design process if you want.

Maybe once you’ve answered all your ‘Could this…’ questions you might understand £400 isn’t so bad.

Sorry if I’m being a little harsh.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alan M said:

It’s funny how people know the price of everything but the value of nothing.

Why even mention the cost of the Camel product, it’s irrelevant.

Just make your own solution, post some pictures and share your design process if you want.

Maybe once you’ve answered all your ‘Could this…’ questions you might understand £400 isn’t so bad.

Sorry if I’m being a little harsh.

I'll allude to one of my favourite authors:

How can one take pictures without creating first?

How can one create without designing first?

How can one design without understanding first?

How can one understand without learning first?

How can one learn without a source?

How good it is to learn from those more experienced than you!

I would like to create something, but do not have the knowledge yet. I would like to learn, but couldn't find any good sources. My question then, is if anyone out there might have knowledge that they're willing to share.

The pricing is not the main issue - but I am sorry that mentioning it seems to have offended you. Yes, it is possible that a DIY solution would have the same costs or even higher costs. But in return for that one would gain the experience, which has value in its own right.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Costing, I'm sure is a moving target when it comes to what's acceptable for developing a new product.   I can't imagine what hoops manufacturers have to jump through when it comes to DOT, Ministry of Transport,  etc.. rules and regs for use on a road licensed vehicle. That doesn't include field testing for off road use to assure our hard earned dollars aren't spent on an inferior product.  I don't want to come across as a fan boy ( although I am) 😉 , the stuff Cory at Camel-ADV puts out is well thought out and tested, well beyond what I think the average user will put their products through. 

Innovation is always good and better mousetraps are out there so if one is so inclined,  go for it.  I'll wager that once deep into the development process,  many will revisit the " overpriced" product they're trying to duplicate and decide the cost isn't so overpriced. 

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

So I've spent 30 years now in product development. Pretty much anything metallic or plastics/composite based (with a bit of automation). Automotive, motorcycle, snowmobile, medical equipment, consumer products, agricultural equipment, custom manufacturing equipment, various machined components for just about anything, and lots of oil/gas down hole tools. Send me a DM and I'll happily tell you what I know, where to start, and generally what your problems will be.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

In general though, you have but 2 resources to work with - time and money. Their relationship is locked together and inversely related. More time = less money. Less time = more money. And it ALWAYS costs what it costs as a combination of the 2. You can always do something on the cheap ($), but it will cost you time, sometimes significant aggravation, beer for your buddies, a pissed off spouse, etc, but the cost will ALWAYS be what it is. Many times it is MUCH cheaper to pay the price for a commercial product, as most people don't adequately value their time.

However, I'm always happy to pass on what I know to help people learn something new.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

I looked at the Acerbis replacement tank but it adds weight high up on an already top heavy bike plus you have swap the fuel pump out of the OEM tank.

I fitted the Camel ADV tank well engineered no electrical connections it works on vacuum by connecting the tank via the breather pipe and you can use the main tank on it's own, easy to install and remove.

I get 250-270 miles range although the upper figure left me with 1 litre in the tank.  

On 10/13/2023 at 11:57 PM, Mapbook said:

I looked at the Acerbis replacement tank but it adds weight high up on an already top heavy bike plus you have swap the fuel pump out of the OEM tank.

I fitted the Camel ADV tank well engineered no electrical connections it works on vacuum by connecting the tank via the breather pipe and you can use the main tank on it's own, easy to install and remove.

I get 250-270 miles range although the upper figure left me with 1 litre in the tank.  

I put the Acerbis tank on my bike. It's 4 pounds lighter empty compared to the stock tank and shrouds.  The swap was easy and I get to choose if I need a full tank and the weight that goes with it. The math for me:

16l vs 23l @ 1.64  pounds/liter yields 11.48 extra pounds of fuel; but remove the 4 pound savings for the larger tank and total weight difference is seven and a half pounds. This is for a full tank.

Note that this extra weight is going down from the moment you leave the station. By the time I'm 50-60 miles away I actually have less weight, and the weight is lower due to the volume of that fuel being lower. The argument I hear is that the weight is up high. True, but only for the first miles on a fully fueled bike.  How much weight do folks have in a tank bag (I hate them and don't run one)?

I love Corey's solution, but I appreciate the simplicity of one tank. I also get a lighter bike, unless I choose to fill the tank to the brim. I chose a clear tank so I know exactly how much I have at a glace too.  YMMV.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1