Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Lowering footpegs with a center stand

PNW T7

Hey Gang 

New to the T7 community - picked up a 21 T7 last week. Trying to work out the best way to lower the footpegs, most lowering brackets I've researched say "not compatible with center stand" which my bike has. 

Trying to get my geometry right mainly for when I'm standing on the pegs although seated I do feel a little scrunched up with current peg height.

Thanks in advance !

Ty

do you like that center stand ? are you using it ? I would personally ditch it, it’s not something i would used and it would be in the way (for me)   … especially if you are planning on going off road a bunch … 

• Like 1

I have the sw-motech centerstand and the sw-motech evo footpegs(-15mm).no issues. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oxxa said:

Get rid of the center stand, its useless everywhere except in the garage where you can get alternatives

Agree completely. I have ditched mine about 6 months ago and don't miss it.

Apart from lowering brackets, you could also mount lowered pegs (SW-Motech are adjustable, Pivot Pegz can be mounted in a lowered position, and last but not least Bosley Pegs come in several lowered options).

• Like 1

Bosley -30mm pegs and Hepco-Becker centerstand are on my T7.

If you lower the pegs that much, you need to modify the brake and shift levers.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

Especially the shifter (at least for me) - I'm running the pedals quite high. The OEM brake can be lowered enough for my taste, but not the shifter. This little nubbin on the peg mounting bracket needs to be removed.

1 hour ago, Tenerider said:

Especially the shifter (at least for me) - I'm running the pedals quite high. The OEM brake can be lowered enough for my taste, but not the shifter. This little nubbin on the peg mounting bracket needs to be removed.

Even with the nubbin removed, I still cannot get the shifter low enough, especially with motocross boots. I bought an extra shift lever and will be welding up something this winter. 

I was OK with the stock brake lever, but the "Fix" will not allow me to put the brake lever where I want it. I made an adapter that lowers it 30mm:

image.png.2411a2847bde3ed77086e7de54c9a35e.png

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

What I did was:

rotate the footpeg bracket 180 degrees, this lowers it and gets it forward a bit. This would require a different footpeg, but I just got one from a friend from Hardline-X which fits fine (without the height setting screw)

image.png.58452f05072184324f92003cde3ca164.png

As I have quite long legs, this helps me with the sitting longer periods.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/23/2023 at 9:55 AM, Hollybrook said:

What needs to be done to modify? A complete break apart and weld job?

24 minutes ago, TC50 said:

What needs to be done to modify? A complete break apart and weld job?

Not at all. There's a little nubbin on the inside of the bracket where the left peg and shift lever are located. Grind it off and you'll be able to lower the shift lever more. Might also move it down one spline on the shift axle.

The brake pedal can be lowered quite a bit without any modifications.

• Thanks 1

On 10/23/2023 at 10:51 AM, Hollybrook said:

I made an adapter that lowers it 30mm:

image.png.2411a2847bde3ed77086e7de54c9a35e.png

What a great idea!   Is that just aluminium stock?  What thickness?  I have the Camel "fix" in, plus footpeg lowering brackets (I measured 40 mm from before and after although they are not advertised as such) and can only drop the lever so far before it bottoms out on some part of the carrier), so much so that I have to lift my foot more than I care to to brake.  I ordered my brake "fix" kit with the street tip which I feel is a little too big.  If I did your mod, I'd think about attaching the adapter/tip to the inside of the lever to reduce how much the tip sticks out to the right.   Or, I could just order the dirt tip and do it exactly as you have, but then where's the fun in doing mods and being creative!

Edited by SXXP

@TC50, I started this reply before you posted the photo of my bike.  😀

@Tenerider is correct, up to a point.  You can get some additional shifter travel by removing the nubbin, but you will soon be limited by the ball end of the linkage hitting the foot peg bracket at a point that I am not willing to modify due to it being in plain sight.  For now, I have used cable ties to add a piece of rubber tubing to the bottom of the shifter (an idea I got from someone else on this forum).  One day when I have some more time, I will weld up a lowered shift lever, but the temporary mod has been working fine for over a year.

On the brake side, you are OK unless you have the CamelADV "The Fix" pedal (which I highly recommend).  If so, you probably need to lower the part that contacts your boot by about the same amount that your pegs are lowered.  I used a spare piece of 1/4" aluminum plate that I had in the shop to make the extension.  The design of the Bosley pegs that I am using pushes my feet out from the bike about an inch further than stock.  With the standard CamelADV tip, I felt like it was difficult to reach the pedal when I first installed the lever, even with the extension plate pushing the tip out 25% of that distance.  I am now used to it and quite happy with the position.  I tapped the holes in the plate so that the screws would not protrude and get in the way of my boots.  If you put the plate behind the lever, you will need to have nuts next to the tip or use large diameter bolts and tap out the holes in the lever.  You will also have to be careful that the bolts do not hang up on your skid plate or frame down tubes.

It was a quick and easy fix to implement, though I have a lot of good tools and have worked as a fabricator in a machine shop.  If you have any questions, I will be happy to try and answer them.

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is my setup.

IMG_20240321_164614854_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

1 hour ago, Simmons1 said:

Here is my setup.

IMG_20240321_164614854_HDR.jpg

About 20 mm drop?

Just now, SXXP said:

About 20 mm drop?

1 inch.

• Like 1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

1 minute ago, Simmons1 said:

1 inch.

I've got to do it.  Don't like lifting my foot too much to brake.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, on the topic of moving this stuff. Anyone else have the kickstand lever post hitting their heel from lowered pegs? Thinking of grinding that off. I'm a 12.5 foot can't imagine nobody else is hitting that post after a 20mm+ lower.

3 hours ago, TC50 said:

Also, on the topic of moving this stuff. Anyone else have the kickstand lever post hitting their heel from lowered pegs? Thinking of grinding that off. I'm a 12.5 foot can't imagine nobody else is hitting that post after a 20mm+ lower.

Indeed it did on mine, even before I've had installed lowering brackets. Solution: Grind it off, a lot of us have done it, nobody seems to miss it.