Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Skid upgrade: simple linkage protection

Tenerider

About a year ago, I installed an SW-Motech skid, which I do like quite much. It's sturdy, can be quickly removed/reinstalled for maintenance (no alignment issues!), and it offers very good header protection, since it extends up to the radiator.

Its only downpoint: It lacks linkage protection.

Several months ago I've bought a sheet of 2mm HDPE, thought about it way too long, until I started working on it today.

I cut the sheet to 105 mm width, folded it in the middle (using a heat gun) to get a whopping 4 mm total thickness and bolted it to the skid's rear mounting bar:

20231027_123601.jpg.4baa90600b1b0898c78f778ed5b1bba2.jpg

This bar sits at the rear mounting points for the lower engine bars:

20231027_124111.jpg.71b87a058b45b005f6ffcf603419506d.jpg

20231027_124117.jpg.3ae1c55a825e7ac496922d3cf8d8ebaa.jpg

And with the skid installed it looks like this:

20231027_125209.jpg.54af035130c6fed5d98ee91a8ad96659.jpg

I don't think it will last very long under aggressive riding (which is beyond my capabilities anyway), but might protect linkage and shock from damage when sliding over trees. At least it will keep some dirt off 😁

I might trim the corners later for a smoother look.

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 8

• Tenerider changed the title to Skid upgrade: simple linkage protection

I did something similar, but UHMW and used it under the whole skid plate. UHMW forms well with a heat gun and is very slippery. I'd recommend 1/4" though 3/16" is what I used as I had it laying around.

image.png.bfa9c8d4acc0dc9593c31152120aa771.png

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, RiderEh said:

I did something similar, but UHMW and used it under the whole skid plate. UHMW forms well with a heat gun and is very slippery. I'd recommend 1/4" though 3/16" is what I used as I had it laying around.

Awesome!

50 minutes ago, qInvention said:

Looks like a very good idea to steal from you as a winter project 😆

I'd be honored 😂

I just went with the Camel ADV Gut Guard, and it's awesome. It's definitely absorbed some serious abuse, hahaha

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cougar Bait said:

I just went with the Camel ADV Gut Guard, and it's awesome. It's definitely absorbed some serious abuse, hahaha

amen, brother

9 hours ago, Cougar Bait said:

It's definitely one of the best skidplates around, period. But including shipping and taxes, it was too pricey for me back then. Not an issue any more, since there are now a lot of distributors around in the EU.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 9:19 AM, RiderEh said:

Ah, I see this is the OEM plate.  Very nice.  Are the screw heads sticking out a bit? (to possibly catch?)

34 minutes ago, DT675 said:

Ah, I see this is the OEM plate.  Very nice.  Are the screw heads sticking out a bit? (to possibly catch?)

No I used button head screws, they should be fine. The best is to use flange button head socket caps, but I ran out. I run these on my KTM enduro bike and am using the skid plate to go over logs and rocks frequently, I've never had one come out.

image.png.c9f3627b5f2dda7f3cd1727a0e4d12c7.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1