Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Chain oiler installation on front sprocket

Tenerider

Hey all,

for some time I have been thinking of installing a chain oiler, since I truly hate messing around (literally) with spray chain lube. Plus, since I've ditched my center stand, I always had to use my scissor jack in the garage.

I finally chose a Cobrra Nemo 2 manual oiler, but the following should really work with all chain oilers I know of - Scottoiler, OSCO, ...

I didn't want to route the oil hose to the rear swingarm for several reasons. First, it might get damaged easily in offroad scenarios. Second, the hose will usually be visible or even needs to be fixed with zip ties to the swingarm, which looks...er...sh1tty.

Third, being a severe overthinker, German Angst came into play: What if the hose gets knocked over and rather lubes the tires than the chain?

So I followed Ray Ride4life's idea of lubing the chain not at the rear sprocket, but instead on the front sprocket. He had done so successfully with his OSCO, see here:

I thought of a slightly different setup, and decided to drill a hole for the oil hose into the front chain glider. This way, the hose has only a very small chance of being ripped apart by the chain, I think:

20231105_163235.jpg.434376f5840da123e4084d4967057eef.jpg

Chain glider installed (sorry for rotated pic):

20231105_203510.jpg.6478f6d8be280f837d2e0ed9d0b0b210.jpg

Hose routing (along/under the tank plastic cover):

20231105_164819.jpg.737d474d00190e0e22375df297c58dc9.jpg

20231105_164837.jpg.ba4367374bd0524e70e5c556a3768e06.jpg

Oiler/reservoir mounted to the bars using an exhaust clamp:

20231105_203542.jpg.f12f744c0046044455ddf007b109700e.jpg

Oil outlet visible with installed sprocket cover (rotated again):

20231105_204221.jpg.129d72adfcd753023538a312ebe1f307.jpg

I hope the hose won't take too much beating when the rear suspension is being compressed (the chain moves up then, closer to the hose).

I just filled up the reservoir with biodegradable chainsaw oil, and so far the system doesn't leak 😅

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 2

Super clean install. The only problem I can see with the design is that you are dropping oil onto the outside of the countershaft sprocket. The angular momentum at that location is HUGE, meaning the oil might hit the chain, but it will be very quickly flung off the chain into the glider/slider you drilled through instead of into the chain. One of the reasons for putting the lube line at the bottom side of the rear sprocket is that the angular momentum of the chain at that location forces the lube into the chain as it travels around the rear sprocket.

That all being said, if it works satisfactorily enough, good job!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

16 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

Super clean install. The only problem I can see with the design is that you are dropping oil onto the outside of the countershaft sprocket. The angular momentum at that location is HUGE, meaning the oil might hit the chain, but it will be very quickly flung off the chain into the glider/slider you drilled through instead of into the chain. One of the reasons for putting the lube line at the bottom side of the rear sprocket is that the angular momentum of the chain at that location forces the lube into the chain as it travels around the rear sprocket.

Very good point - and a strong argument against the standard installation position for OSCO's oil nozzle as well (they suggest drilling a hole into the chain guard, oil will drop down onto the rollers).

I've only run the oiler once today, using quite a high viscosity oil. Will have a look at the front sprocket guard and see if it has got a significant coating. For sure it had collected a lot of grime during the last 1.5 years (when I applied chain lube from a spray can - stuff with very low viscosity, which can be flung off quite easily.

Update: Just checked it, only minor amounts of oil on the chain glider yet - chain has only been lubed very slightly to be honest. I'll check it over the next weeks and report here.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Tenerider said:

Update: Just checked it, only minor amounts of oil on the chain glider yet - chain has only been lubed very slightly to be honest. I'll check it over the next weeks and report here.

The one I installed there did an adequate job, but then there was.... the mess.  My OCD just couldn't allow the constant little puddle under the bike, even though it did a good job. As I noted, it's easy enough to throw back on for a multi day trip, but I've pulled it off until that occurs.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

16 minutes ago, AZJW said:

The one I installed there did an adequate job, but then there was.... the mess.  My OCD just couldn't allow the constant little puddle under the bike, even though it did a good job. As I noted, it's easy enough to throw back on for a multi day trip, but I've pulled it off until that occurs.

Looks like I copied your setup 😂

I hope my oiler won't leak as much as yours did - they look identical, but mine was quite pricey at around 90€. Thanks for linking to your thread, contains a lot of interesting ideas.

• Like 1

I use another system. Berotec's "Mofessor" but I also placed the end of the oil tube near the sprocket. Works like a charm. The chain is always oily but around the chain drive there's only some oil spots on it. Because the system is electronic there's no problem with dripping oil while the bike is turned off.

Abtropfdüse-1.jpg

Abtropfdüse-2.jpg

Abtropfdüse-3.jpg

Kette.jpg

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ede-DE said:

I use another system. Berotec's "Mofessor" but I also placed the end of the oil tube near the sprocket. Works like a charm. The chain is always oily but around the chain drive there's only some oil spots on it. Because the system is electronic there's no problem with dripping oil while the bike is turned off.

Abtropfdüse-1.jpg

Abtropfdüse-2.jpg

Abtropfdüse-3.jpg

Kette.jpg

Nice setup! That way oil is being applied to the inner side of the chain rollers (see comments on centrifugal effects above).

For you guys who use these automatic oil systems for longer time. Does it extend the chain lifetime? I clean my chain, not so regulary, with an old t-shirt and wd40. Then spray chaingrease from a can on it. I dont mind to get dirty fingers. This way i get 30.000-35.000 km on a chain set.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2023 at 6:33 AM, Canzvt said:

It is my understanding that the OSCO is to be used at 5-10 km/hr (or as some suggest - walking speed) for 50-100 meters.  Would not think you would have too much "fling" at those slow speeds?  It only pushes out 1 - 2 cc of oil so again, it should not be "too much".  I have been applying with an old toothbrush and definitely have had a bit of a heavy hand occasionally.  Plus, I always forget to start off slow and really throw the oil all over the place (lands primarily on the rear rim).  Although my bash plate has come oil on it as well, so there is that LOL.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roygilbo said:

It is my understanding that the OSCO is to be used at 5-10 km/hr (or as some suggest - walking speed) for 50-100 meters.  Would not think you would have too much "fling" at those slow speeds?  It only pushes out 1 - 2 cc of oil so again, it should not be "too much".  I have been applying with an old toothbrush and definitely have had a bit of a heavy hand occasionally.  Plus, I always forget to start off slow and really throw the oil all over the place (lands primarily on the rear rim).  Although my bash plate has come oil on it as well, so there is that LOL.  

Indeed, OSCO shall be used at walking pace. At this slow speed, oil should not immediately be flung off the chain. And it might have enough time to creep around the rollers and cover them evenly.

To be honest, I do not really believe that the oil stays on the outside of the chain only, unless its viscosity is similar to honey. But if it's being flung off too quickly, of course there will be less oil on the chain to cover all areas sufficiently.

So, there's a couple of schools of thought on this. With a good quality O/X ring chain, the internal chain components do not require lubing as they are lubed from the factory, and unless directly pressure washed, should be good for life ~ 15-20,000 kms. Another school of thought is that lubing the chain lubes the contact point between the chain and the sprocket, ensuring they last longer. Unless you ride in dirt/sand, this also might be true. Lastly lubing the chain does both - lubing the chain/sprocket interface, and lubing the chain internals by forcing lube oil by CENTRIFUGAL force past the seals. This action can't happen when the lube is on the outside of the chain.

I personally subscribe to the last idea, as lube oil is cheap, and allows your chain/sprockets to last longer, regardless of how it gets there. Simple physics dictate that the oil should be in the inside of the chain loop for both scenarios above so it can position the oil where it needs to be. Each to their own though...Good luck!

On 11/7/2023 at 10:18 AM, BikeBrother said:

For you guys who use these automatic oil systems for longer time. Does it extend the chain lifetime? I clean my chain, not so regulary, with an old t-shirt and wd40. Then spray chaingrease from a can on it. I dont mind to get dirty fingers. This way i get 30.000-35.000 km on a chain set.

No they don't. (I had a Pro-Oiler in my KTM 950, a Scott-Oiler in my KTM 990 and now a OSCO in my T7). 

With these automatic oilers you don't have to carry a chain lube in your luggage on longer travels. And you can attach one more sponsor sticker on your bike.

• Thanks 1

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

• 3 weeks later...

I moved my oiler pipe to the front sprocket.  Drilled the right size hole through the chain guide and called it good.  I now have a shiny oil wet engine and a dry chain.  I think the chain rotation speed around the front sprocket causes the oil to get flung straight on the chain guide.  

Anyone had better success? 

p.s.  I am giving up on oiling chains.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, katana said:

I moved my oiler pipe to the front sprocket.  Drilled the right size hole through the chain guide and called it good.  I now have a shiny oil wet engine and a dry chain.  I think the chain rotation speed around the front sprocket causes the oil to get flung straight on the chain guide.  

I've had some dripping oil at first (leaking at standstill), but the chain got oiled properly, as far as I can tell. No leaking any more. I'm using chainsaw oil, it's not getting flung off too easily I guess. Rear wheel got some drops though.

In total, I don't think yet it was worth the time and money spent. But too early to tell.

9 hours ago, katana said:

So I did a post on this back in late '20. Fitted mine as tight as I could get it onto the rear sprocket. 30,000kms of 60/40 dirt/road, and its still there and still works...Same chain too, although I might get a new one this spring as its getting on in its useful life.

IMG_20200608_203242 small.jpg

IMG_20200608_203334 small.jpg

IMG_20200608_203358 small.jpg

IMG_20200717_082615.jpg

• Thanks 1

Will post my setup once it is finished.  Bought the OSCO oiler as I really like having the control of when the oil goes on.  And according to instructions, you ride for 50-100m at 5-10 km/hr so I don't think there will be much flinging.

It dispenses 2cc of oil per plunge, so if spread over a 122L chain, it should be perfect (fingers crossed).  I have placed the reservoir where RayRide4Life did, but am putting the hose where the manufacturer suggests. 

• Like 1

I pretty much copied @Canzvt setup.  It worked well, but I kept on chewing up the pipe end at the sprocket.  That is why I moved the pipe.