Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Chain Guide Support, what is it for?

Tazmool

• Premium Member

Greetings Everyone, 

I know silly question, 
What is the chain guide support for? 
spacer.png

I have never seen one of these on a motorcycle on the street, not any ADV bike or otherwise.

It seems to be a pretty expensive piece of plastic,  $121cnd in Canada....  

Tazmool

Serve a non far uscire la catena in fuoristrada  se trovi canali o legna  tutte le moto da fuoristrada lo montano di serie

• Thanks 1

These are on all dirt bikes and are there to stop the chain from being run off the rear sprocket buy stuff, eg rut's ,rock,s and sticks  encounter off road.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Ahh, gotcha, 

Thanks everyon for the info!

So I'm guessing, the T7 does not need this part, unless you are really doing some heavy off-roading? 
Also, I would imagine this is a wear part?  so installing it on your bike, and not doing any heavy off-roading would just wear it out for no good reason?    or does the chain not touch the guild under normal adv conditions? 

Tazmool

41 minutes ago, Tazmool said:

I would imagine this is a wear part?  so installing it on your bike, and not doing any heavy off-roading would just wear it out for no good reason?    or does the chain not touch the guild under normal adv conditions? 

Kinda, based on my experience with MX/Enduro bikes, if you keep you chain tension in check, there should be very little contact with the chain (if any).

In my experience, the chain slipper around the front of the swingarm wears much quicker than any chain guide has. When the chain starts to eat through the swingarm things can get expensive! I don't recall ever having to replace a chain-guide due to wear, but I've replaced a few chain slippers! 

You can also put a chain oiler hose to a chain guide.

EDIT: New hose location, works better.

14856172.jpg

14738718.jpg

Edited by Murska
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Now that is an interesting idea!
I was actually planning on installing a scottoiler on my T7, and was wondering if the chain guard would be in the way of the regular setup.

Tazmool

3 hours ago, Murska said:

You can also put a chain oiler hose to a chain guide.

14738716.jpg

14738718.jpg

Keep in mind that chain bumping up and down in this area while driving. 
Fitted Scottoiler with chain guide too.

The tube is fixed only with zip ties because I don’t thrust these self adhesive pads. The only one I used is that one for the nozzle. 

F3FE02FC-4877-4D71-B207-7536583D7C94.jpeg.80c9021956db0a7bfc20e8af7c1232d4.jpeg

1E674F42-9F5F-4135-8717-52FCF99A09FB.jpeg.089c7ec145e23944923c35a660c38b9f.jpeg

6FE8C538-501E-4F40-A354-5720102CDE2E.jpeg.fc5baae8b00b348e479b7876f13b56cb.jpeg

03B58445-EDAF-43B4-B860-63F780708585.jpeg.fb202908551a94243416f6ec53384181.jpeg

B4514A81-6D40-4DA0-A538-2D09DBEBA5AA.jpeg.45fc45bf568ad0e45817d907a6dd3f1d.jpeg

• Like 1

I've had that way oiler hose on many bikes, no problem even though the chain is moving up and down.

The swing inside has a rubber cover, makes a hole in the rubber and puts a hose swing inside. Sorry for the poor quality image.

14738717.jpg

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, Tazmool said:

Now that is an interesting idea!
I was actually planning on installing a scottoiler on my T7, and was wondering if the chain guard would be in the way of the regular setup.

Tazmool

A Tutoro chain oiler is much superior to a Scottoiler.  Easier too install to.

I used the holes that the chain guide would use. See : 

• 2 years later...

@Glen Yes

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

5 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

@Glen Yes

How? I need to remove the Acerbis to get it out but i can do it bij taking out both bolts and hang it from the rear hole of the guide with a bolt in the front hole of the swingarm.

17 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

How? I need to remove the Acerbis to get it out but i can do it bij taking out both bolts and hang it from the rear hole of the guide with a bolt in the front hole of the swingarm.

Ray, I am at a bit of a loss on your procedure.

Yes, the rear tire/rim can be removed with the chain guide still in place, I have done it.

Pull the axle out, shove the tire forward until it hits something, then lift the chain off the sprocket and voila (the extent of my french), it is done.

Maybe I had my foot lifting the wheel a bit when I shoved it forward, and/or tipped the wheel a bit. I didn't document the procedure, but it was no big deal....

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Moderators

I agree with @Hibobb, pull the axle, slide the rear wheel forward, pull the chain off the drive sprocket and remove the rear wheel. 

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I will try it again next time and that will be probably next weekend if the Single rotor kit will be in on time (should be on the plane now).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I will try it again next time and that will be probably next weekend if the Single rotor kit will be in on time (should be on the plane now).

You'll get it. It. Once the axle is out you can still slide the wheel forward to get enough play in the chain to get it off the rear sprocket.  It's sort of like pulling the front wheel off with the stock low fender and both brake calipers in place. Looks like it wouldn't work at first glance, then it becomes pretty easy.    

Edit: I will say that Acerbis mounted the guide back further than necessary. Probably in order to maintain the universal nature of the guide block rather than make a dedicated one. It's possible eliminating the large rearward metal bushing mount would let the sprocket slide a bit further forward and not sure it really adds much to the strength of the unit. I might pop it out and see how much further forward I can slide the sprocket one day. 

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I just made some rides with the chain guard (Acerbis) installed.

I noticed some minor rattling from the drivetrain especially when hitting some bumps and/or when the chain is not under heavy load (like slow acceleration in traffic). I'm not totally sure if it's the chain guard though, since I also mounted a new rear shock at the time.

Checked all parts and bolts in my garage, nothing seems to be loose.

Might seem silly, but can you guys confirm some additional noise since you've mounted it?

Chain tension is within specs.

If I adjust chain tension to factory spec with the Acerbis guide installed, the chain seems too tight. I ended up removing the shock linkage and adjusting the chain with the countershaft, swingarm pivot, and rear axle in line with each other.

I have to really watch the chain tension because there is little tolerance between correct and rubbing on the H-B centerstand. 

37 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

If I adjust chain tension to factory spec with the Acerbis guide installed, the chain seems too tight. I ended up removing the shock linkage and adjusting the chain with the countershaft, swingarm pivot, and rear axle in line with each other.

I have to really watch the chain tension because there is little tolerance between correct and rubbing on the H-B centerstand. 

Good to know, thanks!

I also had rubbing issues with my H&B centerstand, just mounted a thicker bumper which solves it.

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2020 at 6:15 PM, Tazmool said:

Greetings Everyone, 

I know silly question, 
What is the chain guide support for? 
spacer.png

I have never seen one of these on a motorcycle on the street, not any ADV bike or otherwise.

It seems to be a pretty expensive piece of plastic,  $121cnd in Canada....  

Tazmool

Hey Tazmool, there are very common on true enduro bikes, and on my 2018 Suzuki DRz400s, even my KLR's had one (granted only a one sided guard). Surprising, really, that Yamaha didn't just include theirs with the machine. Along with the rear rack too.

On 1/23/2023 at 9:37 AM, Tenerider said:

Guys, I just made some rides with the chain guard (Acerbis) installed.

I noticed some minor rattling from the drivetrain especially when hitting some bumps and/or when the chain is not under heavy load (like slow acceleration in traffic). I'm not totally sure if it's the chain guard though, since I also mounted a new rear shock at the time.

Checked all parts and bolts in my garage, nothing seems to be loose.

Might seem silly, but can you guys confirm some additional noise since you've mounted it?

Chain tension is within specs.

Just an FYI, the Yamaha OEM chain guide is super noisy.  It sounds like the chain is knocking around in a box of loose Lego's.

594291031_Screenshot_20230129_092839_SamsungInternet.jpg.a21f4402a19e6da4264cbce4059d8e94.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I think this video shows exactly what a chain guard does.

This is even worse than I expected!

Thanks Ray, I don't regret buying the chain guide.

• Like 1