Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Chain Guide Support, what is it for?

Tazmool

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I think this video shows exactly what a chain guard does.

That sums it up for sure.   I installed a guide right after getting the bike. Not sure why Yamaha didn't include one on this bike, especially since they have mounts for one.  Guessing it was all part of keeping the price tag at their target.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Windblown said:

That sums it up for sure.   I installed a guide right after getting the bike. Not sure why Yamaha didn't include one on this bike, especially since they have mounts for one.  Guessing it was all part of keeping the price tag at their target.

It makes sense for Yamaha - this way, they can sell pricey upgrades to us part-time offroaders.

A lot of T7's in Europe will never see even a gravel road. For them, a chain guide is really not needed.

• Like 1

I installed the factory Yamaha chain quite some time ago.  With the tire at full droop, the chain becomes quite loose.  The chain guide gives the T7 a little extra insurance on keeping the chain on the rear sprocket.  However, It never crossed my mind about the chain coming off creating a busted case.  Thank goodness he had some puddy with him.   

This the part that I went with.  

Shop for Drive, like Yamaha Chain Guide at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. We have the best prices on dirt bike, atv and motorcycle parts, apparel and accessories and offer excellent customer service.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I am looking at a chain guide.  Is the chain guide from BRP (at $118) worth almost $40 more than the OEM chain guide at ($81) ?

No

• Like 4

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

On 1/29/2023 at 3:55 PM, Ray Ride4life said:

I think this video shows exactly what a chain guard does.

I wonder if that chain is stock size.  Doesn't look like it.