Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rim size sweet spot

random1781

I wound up switching to an Excel 4.25 rim a while back, but I'm starting to rethink this decision and am considering going narrower. I've always had big bikes, so little experience with smaller tires and rims. Tire application charts are all over the place. For example, Motoz recommends a 2.5 rim for their 140, which is what I've been using forever on my massive rims, so I'm trying to get a practical sense of what's what.

Most of the discussion regarding rim width revolves around on/off road performance and how a narrower and rounder tire is better for dirt. I get that narrower and rounder is generally better for dirt and flat and wide is better for pavement with more tread and traction.

I'm more concerned with wear and availability. 140-150s are harder to find in many countries and fairly expensive. It might actually make sense to relace to a smaller rim just for the sake of commodity.

My questions are what size tires are y'all running with a smaller rim, and what's the life that you're getting out of them? Have I gotten anything wrong here?

advgoats.com

• Premium Member

1.85" front and 2.5" in the rear. Running 140/80-18 in the rear, which is a quite common size for offroad oriented tires. 

IMG_1325 2 (1) – middels.jpeg

You can run a 150 and a 140 on a 3.5" wheel.  That's what is on my bike.  I'm on my last Rallz 150 now, going to a 140 next time.   Tractionator Adventure 140 rear tires run on a 3.5" wheel.  

• Like 1

Yeah, I've been using a 140 on my 4.25 rim.

@Fabros and @Redneckj any significant difference in tire life with a 140 and a narrower rim? And have either of you run narrower tires (110-130)?

advgoats.com

When I purchased the Woody's wheels, they came with Moto's Rallz tires already installed (150 rear).  When I bought the wheels, I had just installed a 150 Rallz rear tire on my stock rear wheel.  I have finally moved the Rallz rear from my stock wheel to my Woodys rear wheel.  I'll be ready for a 140 rear tire in about 4000 miles or so.  Ill update you then.  😜

• Premium Member
On 11/13/2023 at 5:50 PM, random1781 said:

Yeah, I've been using a 140 on my 4.25 rim.

@Fabros and @Redneckj any significant difference in tire life with a 140 and a narrower rim? And have either of you run narrower tires (110-130)?

The 140 tires I use - Michelin Anakee Wild - has better reinforcement in the 150 size, so the 140 actually lasts 2/3 of the mileage. 

But they are far lighter - and has a better traction in the 140 size.