Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Acerbis Fuel Tank installed

Boondocker

Acerbis Fuel Tank (23 liters / 6.07 gallons) – My vendor, RMATVMC has a decent installation video <How To Install an Acerbis 6.1 Gallon Fuel Tank on a Yamaha Ténéré 700 - YouTube>, and installation is covered elsewhere in this forum so no need to cover the gory details here. In general, I had no problems with the install and no leaks or issues. Accepting manufacturing variations on both sides (Yamaha and Acerbis) will make all the fiddling to get the panels back on more tolerable. You may even come to appreciate the vast array of fastener types and sizes Yamaha employs for even a single panel…or maybe not. At a glance, you don’t notice the tank (black tank on black bike).

Acerbistankrightprofile.jpg.3e3d78034a440563b5f12e8414c2fa84.jpg

If the center of gravity was raised, I can’t tell. I’m going for increased fuel capacity without having the fuel be carried as auxiliary or cargo. Ergonomically, there is no difference from stock.

Fine print details - I used a new fuel pump O-ring (gasket) as recommended, though the used one (10,000-miles) looked just fine.  The inside of my stock tank was clean. I typically use top tier fuel. I also used the Acerbis locking filler cap because it’s self-ventilating – e.g. no hose coming out of the top of the tank.

Acerbistanklockingcap.jpg.a261d9227fa3bba4afcf27f8b04fdf89.jpg

Bonus, my Wolfman Explorer tank bag that used to sit on top of the filler cap now sits just below so I no longer have to unclip it to fill up. The cap is lockable but locking is optional – that’s a bonus too!

Acerbistankcloseleft.jpg.3b2ab403940b6a4071ace63e12cd1eed.jpg

While I was at it, decided to do the charcoal canister-ectomy as well. I have had the hard-start after sitting in the hot sun problem and hope that is cured now.

charcoalcanisterectomylabeled.jpg.9be1413a98166ad9c5f7621d0fff2da7.jpg

In summary, it just works and helps ease my persistent range anxiety. I’m good with that.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Bruincounselor said:

The bitching about raising the CofG of the bike with this tank is ridiculous. Looks like a solid install!

+1

@Boondocker do this. That gas cap has a tendency to leak precisely onto your switch clusters when you drop it and if the tank is under any kind of pressure...and if you're in NV, it will be during the summer.

• Like 1

advgoats.com

6 hours ago, Boondocker said:

I also used the Acerbis locking filler cap because it’s self-ventilating – e.g. no hose coming out of the top of the tank.

While I was at it, decided to do the charcoal canister-ectomy as well. I have had the hard-start after sitting in the hot sun problem and hope that is cured now.

If you drop your bike gas will be leaking from that cap...

I use the aluminium filler cap from KEDO that fits the acerbis tank. I Modified it that the ventilation hose is fixed (rotable 360°) in a 90° angle and with that glued in bracket for compressed air fixing the tank bag is no problem at all.

The problem with the hard-start might be the temperature sensor sitting between the windshield and instrument. The engine is hot and you parked your bike in the shadow. The sensor is colder than the engine (or vice versa) and then the air/fuel mixture is incorrect for a smooth start.

Tankentlüftung-1.jpg

Tankentlüftung-2.jpg

Tankentlüftung-3.jpg

Thank for this, this is something I haven't consider but I am interested now, it would be beneficial for me to get in the 400km + reach.  

10 hours ago, Boondocker said:

Acerbis Fuel Tank (23 liters / 6.07 gallons) – My vendor, RMATVMC has a decent installation video <How To Install an Acerbis 6.1 Gallon Fuel Tank on a Yamaha Ténéré 700 - YouTube>, and installation is covered elsewhere in this forum so no need to cover the gory details here. In general, I had no problems with the install and no leaks or issues. Accepting manufacturing variations on both sides (Yamaha and Acerbis) will make all the fiddling to get the panels back on more tolerable. You may even come to appreciate the vast array of fastener types and sizes Yamaha employs for even a single panel…or maybe not. At a glance, you don’t notice the tank (black tank on black bike).

yes the deferent bolt size for sure but myself what crack me up the most is their allen keys bolt everywhere... feels like meccano toys     

10 hours ago, random1781 said:

+1

@Boondocker do this. That gas cap has a tendency to leak precisely onto your switch clusters when you drop it and if the tank is under any kind of pressure...and if you're in NV, it will be during the summer.

@Random1781 Thanks for the fuel cap mod tip.