Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rear Brake Failure

JAFAR

53 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

What explanation did the dealer give for this horrible failure?

Was it the same dealer who had performed the 600mi service on your bike?

Have you ever removed the rear wheel (and told them)?

I never removed the wheel during this period, Yeah its the same dealer , they are close to my house. Bought the bike from them and also the service are done from them, I did notice the rear disc brake heating up more than the front one , we had a discussion on the first service about it and I told them clearly I don't rest my foot on the brake at that time and I am still telling the same thing. The dealer is saying you have been resting your foot on the brake thats why it happend which I donot agree with, have been riding for 18 years never happened to me before, I have a 1250 GSA too never happened on it, had a F800 Gs in the past never happend on that bike either. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JAFAR said:

I never removed the wheel during this period, Yeah its the same dealer , they are close to my house. Bought the bike from them and also the service are done from them, I did notice the rear disc brake heating up more than the front one , we had a discussion on the first service about it and I told them clearly I don't rest my foot on the brake at that time and I am still telling the same thing. The dealer is saying you have been resting your foot on the brake thats why it happend which I donot agree with, have been riding for 18 years never happened to me before, I have a 1250 GSA too never happened on it, had a F800 Gs in the past never happend on that bike either. 

Thanks mate - it's a shame how your dealer reacts on this.

From my point of view, you have done everything right: Informed them timely, nevee touched the affected components by yourself and last but not least given them the chance to look after it.

They should not only repair your bike under warranty, but also compensate for your financial loss (not being able to use your bike). Finally, I'd expect them to get down on their knees while expressing their deepest apologies to you. You could have died due to their attempts in neglecting that anything was wrong with the brakes.

I'd contact Yamaha UK ASAP!

• Like 2

Are you handy? If so, take the free parts and fix it yourself. Then at least you know the job is done and done right. Then start looking around for a dealer/mechanic you can trust for future issues. Clearly your current dealer doesn’t give a $&@t about you. The longer you drag out this process, the more frustrated you’ll be. Easing your frustration is worth more than the lost $$$ in my opinion. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Samm said:

Are you handy? If so, take the free parts and fix it yourself. Then at least you know the job is done and done right. Then start looking around for a dealer/mechanic you can trust for future issues. Clearly your current dealer doesn’t give a $&@t about you. The longer you drag out this process, the more frustrated you’ll be. Easing your frustration is worth more than the lost $$$ in my opinion. 

Yes, I can do all these things by myself, its just that I bought this bike brand new thats why never touched it to keep my warranty in place, but after this I think m gonna stick to doing things my self. Totally agree with you. 

• Like 1

You got a good deal at Yamaha covering 50%. the dealer should cover the other 50%. I think this was all the dealers fault personally and nothing to do with Yamaha, so I wouldn't let that change your mind on an R1. Seems poorly installed when the wheel was removed, that inside caliper does have to seat in well and be checked

Edited by ScorpionT16
  • Like 2

I have mentioned before on similar threads that the bike comes from the factory with the rear brake reservoir over filled.

This leaves no room for expansion as the brake is used.  

Hot brake fluid expands and because the reservoir is filled to the top it has no room for expansion. The expanding fluid begins to exert pressure on the pads and it quickly starts to compound the issue.  

So much so that not even if you are not using the brake the heat caused by the pads wiping over the disc will cause the brake to be applied and very shortly you will have no pads left.

I think I looked at 3-4 bikes that came through my local dealer and every one had a full reservoir that I guarantee caused accelerated brake pad wear.  Can't say for sure this was your issue, but I would not be at all surprised.  

Also the rear brake pedal return spring is not very strong and it only takes a small amount of grit or dirt to start affecting the return of the lever.  Several of us have added an additional return spring to the stock lever to make sure it retracts fully.  

So my suggestion when rebuilding your would be to make sure the reservoir is no more than half full.  (do not fill to the full line). And add a second helper spring to the stock brake lever.

23E342B8-9E49-4D04-A4DC-F93B8D993380.jpeg

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, williestreet said:

I have mentioned before on similar threads that the bike comes from the factory with the rear brake reservoir over filled.

This leaves no room for expansion as the brake is used.  

Hot brake fluid expands and because the reservoir is filled to the top it has no room for expansion. The expanding fluid begins to exert pressure on the pads and it quickly starts to compound the issue.  

So much so that not even if you are not using the brake the heat caused by the pads wiping over the disc will cause the brake to be applied and very shortly you will have no pads left.

I think I looked at 3-4 bikes that came through my local dealer and every one had a full reservoir that I guarantee caused accelerated brake pad wear.  Can't say for sure this was your issue, but I would not be at all surprised.  

Also the rear brake pedal return spring is not very strong and it only takes a small amount of grit or dirt to start affecting the return of the lever.  Several of us have added an additional return spring to the stock lever to make sure it retracts fully.  

So my suggestion when rebuilding your would be to make sure the reservoir is no more than half full.  (do not fill to the full line). And add a second helper spring to the stock brake lever.

23E342B8-9E49-4D04-A4DC-F93B8D993380.jpeg

That actually make sense. Duly noted thanks for the info. Will certainly do this mod. Don’t wanna take any chances anymore. 

Keep a check on rear brake disc after repairs .  If I'm right it will do it again. If it starts getting hot

get dealer to ride it and prove it can be ridden without heating up.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

An even better, though more expensive, way to improve the brake lever return is CamelADV's the Fix brake lever. It addresses multiple issues with the stock rear brake. 

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/5621-the-fix-t7-rear-brake-pedal/

I guess that would be my next upgrade not sure it will void the warranty or not. Will discuss with the dealer. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

A quick update. The bike has been fixed by the dealer after going back and forth they waived off all the labour charges but I ended up paying for some parts. In short they charged me 154 GBP (190 USD) in total 50% cost of the calliper only.  They changed the disc, the calipar and brake pads. 

Have done some green lane enduro riding a couple of times the bike is working just fine.

Thanks everyone for your valuable feedback and have a great Christmas holidays. 👍👍

NOTE: The bike was fixed on 2nd Dec, 2023 apologies for the late update. 

• Like 7