Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

MotoNap's T7 - barebones

motonap

One never finishes building ones motorcycle, its an ongoing process from the time you get the bike to the time you sell it. Or so it seems as ones tastes and requirements evolve through ownership.

The Tenere is one of those motorcycles that just seems to fit that bill so very very very well, because it is so versatile and there are sooooo many parts available out there for one to choose from.

In contradicting my own opening statement above, I think I have reached a kind of equilibrium on mods to my T7 build. The only additions I can think off that I will need in the future are

- luggage options

- suspension upgrades (only if I get better skilled and start doing technical riding)

A quick visual overview of my UniCross build (with the most recent addition being the graphic kit from Upshift online) and then details to follow

IMG_5746.JPG.ba5e76f3dd67e2cf3df1cc2468cebbc5.JPG

1) Handlebar - the T7s were built for riders with longs arms and legs, I don't fit that cross-section so upgraded to the ProTaper Evo Adventure Low bar along with Barkbuster handguards

IMG_5766.JPG.2492e1a7129cc3047c71f72eb205b974.JPG

2) Seat - In my experience with Yamaha adventure motorcycles, they make seats out of wood that hurt. So strapped on a Coleman Maddog ATV seat cover, which has made the T7 butt friendly and super economical seat mod as well

IMG_5763.JPG.04f9b7412afdcbd8f24d260e52adba29.JPG

3) Frame Protection - Luckily for me the motorcycle came with the Yamaha OEM crashbars which I am very pleased with in terms of crash protection. The frame however needed protection from scuffing of the boots, I tend to wear paint down pretty quick on my bikes, so got these Acerbis X-Grip protectors

IMG_5761.JPG.a3364af535ad03f42ffff3588c831f4c.JPG

4) Dual Control like brake system - The OEM brake pedal sits so low and it was a pain to use when you are up on the pegs and even when you are bum of seat. Now this is not the Altrider system, but an AliExpress version that has served me very well for the year that I have had it

IMG_5759.JPG.d8aaa7eb252b97a0d91740e4823fc855.JPG

5) Clear headlight protection - I just know why some components are not easily and economically replaceable, the last thing I want is to have to shell out quite some coin for a new headlight unit. So this clear headlight protector should do some justice.

IMG_5756.JPG.2ad593de7f3eff3115fda2013040f404.JPG

6) Black Widow Exhaust - Not a fan of quiet motorcycles, especially ones like the T7 that sound so great and need that after market exhaust to do full justice to the eargasms its produces. Eargasm aside, the 300mm Hexagonal exhaust without the DB killer has refined the overall feel of the motorcycle. Power delivery is smoother thanks to the reduces back pressure from the system

7) Givi rear luggage rack - 70% of the time this has a top box mounted on it

IMG_5747.JPG.452c03fbb3d237c734632297d064f5d5.JPG

😎 Tank Grip pads

IMG_5764.JPG.ba00c56219dee7375aa52dcdf9f93bf9.JPG

9) Windscreen riser kit - like a lot of T7 owners, the wind noise & poor buffeting generated by the OEM windscreen was an issue for me, these risers have made a difference alright, however a poorly designed system due to the gap it generates between the windscreen and the wind deflectors which does end up creating turbulence around the chest and arms

IMG_5755.JPG.97e826037fb26c668ae3500ce5087035.JPG

10) High fender - this one is purely cosmetic for my requirement. In the past I have had the front cake up, but never enough to lock the wheel or cause locking due to the OEM mudguard. While this install is not the Camel or Altrider kits, it takes inspiration from the T7 Extreme way of installation, no need to alter brake lines or install any additional hardware, just some cutting down of the Acerbis Supermoto fender & cutting down of the OEM mudguard + some nylon spacers to make the OEM brake line mount work

IMG_5751.JPG.2e54687fc8781d7a0ed4b995972f516e.JPG

IMG_5752.JPG.eafc775062e50089fb09a4fadd82af05.JPG

11) A bunch of dashboard stuff - Radar mount on the cross bar + radar visual & auditory alert stuck to the console + quadlock wireless charger mounted on a ram short arm mount

IMG_5750.JPG.f1947a569d2892502e44e721e38018ae.JPG

12) Flow LED indicators - because the OEM units are just too big and ugly. Had to swap the indicator relay with one for LEDs

IMG_5758.JPG.3134aa358c098d403da172699feabe7f.JPG

13) Mitas EO7+ rear tyre - the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR's are great on the tarmac and pretty decent on gravel. Needed something that could handle mud & sand better

IMG_5748.JPG.086474505594519c5200540695ee100f.JPG

14) Front suspension - has just been serviced after 17000kms, had gotten terribly saggy, and with an almost rebuild-like service, it feels fantastic again. I will however be getting better springs rated for my weight when I get the fork serviced again in about 12000kms

So there you go, about all that I think my needs on the UniCross build are. One more picture of this stunning creature below for your viewing pleasure

IMG_5745.JPG.344d823ee7f421397a09eac1b3c331a4.JPG

Edited by motonap
Formatting
  • Like 1

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

• motonap changed the title to MotoNap's T7 - barebones

You get to use a radar detector legally?

How do you like the E07?

I have just ordered one as I want a bit more versatility ie a bit more tar.

I have the luxury of a second set of rims complete.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

17 minutes ago, Rider 101 said:

You get to use a radar detector legally?

How do you like the E07?

I have just ordered one as I want a bit more versatility ie a bit more tar.

I have the luxury of a second set of rims complete.

Here in NZ, radar detectors are legal. Saved my bacon on quite a few occasions. 

The E07+ have been brilliant on tarmac, even in the wet under normal road conditions. We have wonderful road construction techniques here, so summers cause the tar to melt and aggregate to sink to the bottom and as a result the tar on top creates smooth slippery patches that are virtually invisible in the wet and the tyres do slip on them. But nothing life-threatening so far.

They are pretty awesome on gravel as well, other than the occasional slide when you go too happy on the throttle.

The E07 will be equally good, but the reduced groove spacing might make them a little less happy off-road when the camber is steep.

2nd set of rims, a total luxury mate! 😀

Edited by motonap

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

🥳

The rims were picked up 2nd hand but like new.

Excel rims, Haan billet hubs complete with spacers and ABS rings.

I just had to buy the 3 discs.

They are spooled up with a Pirelli Scorpion front and a Motoz Rallz rear.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Our Friends

Tenere across the USA

Tenere 700 Forum. We are just Tenere 700 owners and fans

Tenere700.net is not affiliated with Yamaha Motor Co and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of ea individual author and do not represent Yamaha Motor Co or Tenere700.net .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.