Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rectifier/Regulator Guard

Bruincounselor

I've decided to go without engine/crash guards and will likely be going to the Camel plastics in the future. I sold my guards (Hi Larry!). The major area of concern is where the Rectifier/Regulator connects to the wiring - those plugs are potentially vulnerable. Carboard Aided Design (CAD) to the rescue:

20231203_113658.jpg.3f1ecb91debe42382e4bb8c09154933f.jpg

Made with simple hand tools: 4" cutoff wheel on a grinder and a vise to make the bends. It looks like this installed:

20231203_162355.jpg.5b2b27e5cc8ed004075c998b6287671d.jpg

Weighs 2oz; so it's not adding much weight. There is plenty of clearance for airflow and plastics. The Acerbis tank helps protect the R/R itself.

20231203_162547.jpg.d0148d93e215fab46f67d8a72431bc47.jpg

I think the overflow tank is protected enough between the tank and AXP bash plate (not really system critical either). It's probably overkill. Better safe than stranded.

• Like 7

Love your CAD skills - and in fact a good idea to protect the rectifier when not running crash bars. A lot of us seem to be going down that route, since Camel introduced their PO fairings.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, john_aero said:

I would also do similar to the rear to protect the ECU. its on my to do list 

I have the Adv Spec side racks on to protect the ECU and high mount muffler. It's nice, lightweight stuff.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, john_aero said:

I would also do similar to the rear to protect the ECU. its on my to do list 

I've seen a YT vid about this, but to me the ECU doesn't seem to be "endangered" as much. My rear plastics haven't touched the ground yet, despite numerous drops. And then, the ECU is suspended in a soft rubber mount and doesn't really protrude from the rear frame. But YMMV.

2 hours ago, Tenerider said:

I've seen a YT vid about this, but to me the ECU doesn't seem to be "endangered" as much. My rear plastics haven't touched the ground yet, despite numerous drops. And then, the ECU is suspended in a soft rubber mount and doesn't really protrude from the rear frame. But YMMV.

Its same as the Reg Req, highly unlikely ut if want make a cover then id add ECO too. A sharp rock or tree stump could do the damage.

However for most luggage will add as protection

not sure if was member here who had a fall and damaged th ECU. Unfortunate but would leave you stranded

• Like 1