Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Side Stand Safety Switch Bypass

tenerecanada

a simple 2 wire switch.this will be my next job. my last bike had 3 wires .had to find the correct two to short.

has any one bypassed the clutch switch? ive had one go on me before.

Edited by bth2
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thanks!

Does it make a difference what wire or seal size?

1 hour ago, kainic said:

Thanks!

Does it make a difference what wire or seal size?

Just bridging the contacts for the ecu to see a closed circuit so it should not matter. I used a piece of 20 guage wire that I had the green seals have a bit of  give on wire size I could have went up a size without much worry.

If one didn't want to bypass the kickstand, its still not a bad idea to make a jumper and put it in your tool kit in case its needed, the connector is behind the lower left hand corner of the radiator and could be plugged in on the trail if needed.

• Thanks 3

Here's a link to the connector mentioned above:

LogoAtrans.png

Motorsport electrical products: OEM and hard to find terminals and connector kits, wiring, harness supplies, tooling, and sensors for modern and vintage motorcycle, automotive applications. Easy online shopping, low cost...

• Thanks 3

• 1 year later...

If you do damage the switch on the trail, you won't be stranded! Just cut the wires near the sensor and twist them together.

PXL_20221226_220941102.jpg.3d378c24d3dcd609d952e88e1a1bf380.jpg

Looks like this would be the perfect time to run a cable to from the point near the radiator to a push button on the handlebar for a secondary kill switch to use trailside in order to retain the ABS setting.

• Like 1

advgoats.com

I cut the wire, twisted them together with a waterproof connector. Its been that way for 13k miles now. Super simple.

• 3 months later...
On 12/27/2022 at 10:48 PM, random1781 said:

If you do damage the switch on the trail, you won't be stranded! Just cut the wires near the sensor and twist them together.

PXL_20221226_220941102.jpg.3d378c24d3dcd609d952e88e1a1bf380.jpg

Looks like this would be the perfect time to run a cable to from the point near the radiator to a push button on the handlebar for a secondary kill switch to use trailside in order to retain the ABS setting.

There is only two wires in total in that sensor cable?

28 minutes ago, Oxxa said:

There is only two wires in total in that sensor cable?

Yes. With the kickstand up the circuit is closed.

• Thanks 1

advgoats.com

On 2/28/2020 at 6:05 AM, bth2 said:

has any one bypassed the clutch switch? ive had one go on me before.

It’s just a rumour I’ve heard and I don’t know much about electrical Shet, BUT I think the clutch switch does something with the mapping on these bikes and removing the switch makes the engine think the clutch is always in.

On 7/16/2021 at 11:22 PM, ClutchXT said:

Here is the connectors for making your own jumper plug

20210716_151930.jpg

20210716_152005.jpg

20210716_152053.jpg

This is making me so confused right now I have a feeling im about to become an electrician 😆

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DanDoesStunts said:

It’s just a rumour I’ve heard and I don’t know much about electrical Shet, BUT I think the clutch switch does something with the mapping on these bikes and removing the switch makes the engine think the clutch is always in.

The clutch switch is coupled to the ECU, so this is possible.

advgoats.com

11 hours ago, random1781 said:

The clutch switch is coupled to the ECU, so this is possible.

It's not only possible but eve proven by several people here on the forum who had a sudden bad gas mileage which was solved by fixing a bad clutch switch, i was one of them.
You apparently can recognize that problem because the ECO light wont light up any more.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

It's not only possible but eve proven by several people here on the forum who had a sudden bad gas mileage which was solved by fixing a bad clutch switch, i was one of them.
You apparently can recognize that problem because the ECO light wont light up any more.

Good to know for future encounters

Edited by Oxxa

Good explanation here:

I can also recommend Off The Road. I've purchased kit from them and had it delivered to Australia cheaper than I can buy it here.

In this video Bret Tkacs suggests disconnecting the side stand switch as a safety measure. What am I missing here? How does that make a bike safer? 

2 minutes ago, DaveT7 said:

In this video Bret Tkacs suggests disconnecting the side stand switch as a safety measure. What am I missing here? How does that make a bike safer? 

You hit pot hole, or jump = kickstand down = bike shutdown mid air

• Like 2

Or when you hit a rock, and destroy the sensor, you will not be able to start the bike. The SS switch is installed on nearly all road going bikes made so it prevents accidents from having the SS down and driving away. It creates way more problems in the bush/rocks as it prevents you from riding away when it fails, because if you ride offroad, it WILL fail. There's a small 2 pin plug on the left down tube that connects to the switch. Un-plug it and jumper it across. Problem solved.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

4 hours ago, Oxxa said:

You hit pot hole, or jump = kickstand down = bike shutdown mid air

The T7 did fail gracefully for me when I destroyed the switch on a rock: the bike operated normally until I stopped the engine, at which point the bike wouldn't start in gear and would die when putting it in gear.

Maybe the ECU disregards the side stand switch state if it changes while you're at speed?

In either case, better to just disable it.

• Like 1

advgoats.com