Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

DIY stand extender/bigfoot

Hammerhead

Since the front suspension work eliminated some excessive static sag, the already questionable length  side stand has been exacerbated to intolerable levels of lean. Was already in the habit of using a 3/4” plywood scrap in the shop even before that, but it doesn’t help away from home. Add some uneven or soft terrain & i was constantly in search of rocks or other helpers anywhere off pavement. Enter this prototype idea

What you’ll need:

- A small scrap of 3/4” rubber matting (or something durably similar)

- A few suitable course thread wood screws (preferably stainless) i used #12 by 1 &1/4”

- Suitable drill bits to  perforate your side stand foot & countersink the screw heads

- Tools to run such bits, cut said rubber & drive said screws

- A wee bit of strong double sided tape (i used 1” wide foam glazing tape cause it sticks well to many things & i happen to have a roll)

- The willingness to f*#@k up your existing side stand if something goes, well…sideways. (I make no promises, this is a prototype after all)

Just place the rubber scrap under the foot, trace out the shape, add any desired extra size margins & cut the to piece to size (i probably wouldn’t use a mitre saw again, but that’s another stinky story) the beveled top edges were just razor knifed. 

Carefully size up the location of your desired holes & drill  through accordingly into a plywood backer  (the one you’re already using to hold the bike up properly)

A little isopropyl alcohol cleans both surfaces in prep for the two sided tape that nicely holds everything in position. Stick tape to upgrade part, position carefully under stand foot & weigh it down with a motorcycle. 

Don’t pilot drill the rubber,  just run those course threads right into it. 

This hasn’t yet been rough ride tested, but given 3 screws grab the  full depth of rubber & the glazing tape between, I don’t see it letting go unless it gets snagged on something. The rubber adds some nice grip, a little extra surface area & most importantly stops that excessive lean, not only in the shop at home but anywhere i now park where the terrain isn’t entirely favourable. Worst case i might be digging the odd hole now when it gets positioned on an uphill side. 

Cost - $0, a few bits i already had & about 15 min of my day. Calling it a win. 

IMG_4956.jpeg

IMG_4954.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Right, stall mats, that what those are. Never used them

for their intended purpose, but I’ve found many others over the years.

always a couple off cuts handy.

They are brilliant things. 

I use them to work out,  in front of my bench for warmth in winter and protect stuff WHEN I drop it lol even to cover extension cords to stop folk tripping over

Odd I don't have any issue with the length of the sidestand.

I feel it is a little long and have hesitated in adding a larger foot.

I must check my sag but I don't feel it excessive.

Having said that full marks for you mod.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

36 minutes ago, Rider 101 said:

Odd I don't have any issue with the length of the sidestand.

I feel it is a little long and have hesitated in adding a larger foot.

I must check my sag but I don't feel it excessive.

Having said that full marks for you mod.

That’s the lean now, WITH the mod. Goldilocks.

Stock suspension static sag was excessive @ 25% + before I ventured into near over sprung & much stiffer territory. Far better for my preferences. The bike is too heavy for its stock  equipment, let alone the aggressive rider. 
  That aluminum stand has always been a bit minimally dubious to me & mine has splayed open at the pivot before  even without doing any kick stand turns. It eventually just wound up splayed sloppy again even after I mashed it shut once. 

IMG_4958.jpeg

Wow, that looks like mine without any mod.

Nice workshop. Wish mine was that clean and bright!

Currently 38°c or the old ton outside so my unlined and uninsulated shed will be substantially hotter.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

38!!  Bugger me, this Canuck near melts at those temps. Rarely feel that here. TropiCanada doesn’t have any snow yet & it wouldn’t bother me if we managed to avoid it altogether this winter. Rare but it does happen. 

Looks good! won't it tear off if it gets caught on a branch?
I would screw it to the base from the reverse side.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Static said:

Looks good! won't it tear off if it gets caught on a branch?
I would screw it to the base from the reverse side.

Ya, can see it tearing of if it gets properly snagged on something. A couple screws the up from the bottom treaded into the aluminum might be an upgrade for sure.

• Like 1