Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Long Haul Paul is at 170,000 miles

Hibobb

Pretty cool... I had to laugh, fork oil at 100,000 and no fork seals yet.

I wonder what he would think about some of our advice on maintenance....

Yes, he is not pounding off road, but still

• Like 4

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

@mpatch I would be surprised if more than 0.5% of us ride anything like Random1781 or Cory at Camel ATV.

Of course, the same could be said for Long Haul Paul's riding.

Myself... I got 10,000 miles on this year and I live on a gravel road, so I am somewhere between the extremes....

• Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

6 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

@mpatch I would be surprised if more than 0.5% of us ride anything like Random1781 or Cory at Camel ATV.

Of course, the same could be said for Long Haul Paul's riding.

Myself... I got 10,000 miles on this year and I live on a gravel road, so I am somewhere between the extremes....

I think the difference between Corey and random is random lives off his bike with a dog and spends most of his time riding off road. Where Cory on the other hand I’m guessing trailers his bike and then beats it up never too far from a safety net. 

spacer.png

Edited by mpatch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd love to know if long haul Paul has done any gearing changes.  I would also like to know, how many times he has actually had to adjust his valves.  I watched that video last night and was shocked.    The mileage he has accumulated is amazing in a short amount of time.  

I just saw that video the other night as well!  Amazing!  That beats any car's mileage I currently own!

I just saw this on Facebook

Longhaulpaul

Thursday morning, Yamaha led a group of journalists, a few celebrity racers and myself through the Cleveland National Forest on brand new Tenere 700’s. Off-road not being my greatest skill, I did my best to keep up the professionals on the trails that winded around the mountain tops. About 1/2 way through the morning I dropped the bike coming to a stop behind the rider in front of me. I had trouble catching my breath but continued on the ride. I ended up dropping the bike a couple more times, in deep sand or rocky ruts I couldn’t plow out of. My legs seemed weak and I felt some discomfort in my chest which I thought was anxiety for my poor riding skills. Each time I was also out of breath and by lunch time, I just wanted off the mountain and to rest.
I scooted ahead of the other 10 riders who were taking part in a photo shoot and went directly to the lunch location where a taco truck, a couple photographers and two hired police officers were waiting to close a section of road for the after lunch photos.
I parked the bike and took off my gear. I was soaked in sweat and laid on a cold rock to catch my breath and cool down. By now the pain in my chest seemed tighter and I had a strange pain running up the left side of my neck. I knew it wasn’t heartburn and started walking towards the policemen. About 1/2 way there the chest pain intensified and I collapsed to the pavement. “NO”, was my answer to if I was ok. The local fire department was there in a couple minutes, the ambulance took a bit more time, but the efforts by the cops and EMT’s surely saved my life. I don’t believe I ever lost consciousness, so as you can imagine, a scared comedian on the edge of death will say some pretty stupid Shet! It was a fairly long ride with sirens blaring to a cardiac hospital where I was rushed directly to the Operating room. They kept repeating I was having a STEMI, which seemed to clear the path through the corridors rather quickly.
8 years ago I had mild chest pain that resulted in having two stents inserted into my Right Coronary Artery. One of those stents had collapsed 100%, and caused me to have what is referred to as the widowmaker, or most serious of all heart attacks.
I never got to eat lunch.
A new stent was inserted over the previous one and after 10 hours in the ER, a bed finally open up in the cardiac ward. On Friday, I felt so good , I walked for three hours lapping the hospital floor begging to be released. By yesterday morning, they had had enough of Forrest Gump wizzing by with a smile and discharged me. My friends at yamaha had secured my bike and gear and a hotel room for me when I got paroled. They offered to fly Elin to California to be with me as well.
After a few hours rest in a real bed and a shower, I pulled on some new underwear and slowly got on the bike and rode around the block to see if I had any pain. It felt so good, I knew I’d be fine riding and I headed east. Stayed in Tucson last night and I’m headed to Marietta GA.
Slowly, cautiously and grateful to ride another day.
Yamaha truly Revs My Heart.
  • Like 4

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

2 hours ago, Hibobb said:

Longhaulpaul

Thursday morning, Yamaha led a group of journalists, a few celebrity racers and myself through the Cleveland National Forest on brand new Tenere 700’s. Off-road not being my greatest skill, I did my best to keep up the professionals on the trails that winded around the mountain tops. About 1/2 way through the morning I dropped the bike coming to a stop behind the rider in front of me. I had trouble catching my breath but continued on the ride. I ended up dropping the bike a couple more times, in deep sand or rocky ruts I couldn’t plow out of. My legs seemed weak and I felt some discomfort in my chest which I thought was anxiety for my poor riding skills. Each time I was also out of breath and by lunch time, I just wanted off the mountain and to rest.
I scooted ahead of the other 10 riders who were taking part in a photo shoot and went directly to the lunch location where a taco truck, a couple photographers and two hired police officers were waiting to close a section of road for the after lunch photos.
I parked the bike and took off my gear. I was soaked in sweat and laid on a cold rock to catch my breath and cool down. By now the pain in my chest seemed tighter and I had a strange pain running up the left side of my neck. I knew it wasn’t heartburn and started walking towards the policemen. About 1/2 way there the chest pain intensified and I collapsed to the pavement. “NO”, was my answer to if I was ok. The local fire department was there in a couple minutes, the ambulance took a bit more time, but the efforts by the cops and EMT’s surely saved my life. I don’t believe I ever lost consciousness, so as you can imagine, a scared comedian on the edge of death will say some pretty stupid Shet! It was a fairly long ride with sirens blaring to a cardiac hospital where I was rushed directly to the Operating room. They kept repeating I was having a STEMI, which seemed to clear the path through the corridors rather quickly.
8 years ago I had mild chest pain that resulted in having two stents inserted into my Right Coronary Artery. One of those stents had collapsed 100%, and caused me to have what is referred to as the widowmaker, or most serious of all heart attacks.
A new stent was inserted over the previous one and after 10 hours in the ER, a bed finally open up in the cardiac ward. On Friday, I felt so good , I walked for three hours lapping the hospital floor begging to be released. By yesterday morning, they had had enough of Forrest Gump wizzing by with a smile and discharged me. My friends at yamaha had secured my bike and gear and a hotel room for me when I got paroled. They offered to fly Elin to California to be with me as well.
After a few hours rest in a real bed and a shower, I pulled on some new underwear and slowly got on the bike and rode around the block to see if I had any pain. It felt so good, I knew I’d be fine riding and I headed east. Stayed in Tucson last night and I’m headed to Marietta GA.

Wishing Paul all the best. Am an emergency medicine doctor and i truly sympathise with him. Glad he got it sorted in time, and back on the bike. 

• Moderators

One tough Hombre right there.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

8 hours ago, Hibobb said:

Longhaulpaul

thanks for sharing this 

Hard to fathom how he could be in the hospital on Saturday morning after heart surgery, yet be able to ride from California to Georgia by way of the Tail of the Dragon in NC by Tuesday evening.  He's certainly tougher than I am! 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 8:39 PM, mpatch said:

I think the difference between Corey and random is random lives off his bike with a dog and spends most of his time riding off road. Where Cory on the other hand I’m guessing trailers his bike and then beats it up never too far from a safety net. 

spacer.png

Yeah that basically sums it up! It's really hard to shake the thought of something going wrong when you're staring down some interesting terrain and making the call. It's probably been my biggest block in getting better.

The first year or so after getting the bike was a long shakedown process since we were still in the US and at least had that safety net. Broke a few things, figured out what the limits were, and now have a pretty good sense of the bike. I've dialed things back a bit now that we're out of the country, but I'm really itching for some more technical stuff.

I'd add that Corey breaks a peg while launching his bike upwards. I smoked my clutch at one point because I didn't let my bike warm up before trying a hill climb.

• Like 1

advgoats.com