Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

This will be unpopular

Cruizin

Im done with heavy Dual sports. I always dreamed of a unicorn bike. I bike that I can ride all over the Northwest and hit trails along the way and also carve corners with. But man, Im sick of the weight. Yes, I know there are guys on youtube doing all kinds of single track hill climbing jumps and stuff an the Tenere 700, but that just isn't me.  The trails I like to ride, I like light 220lb Two strokes that I can easily lift by myself on a steep mountain side. I like bikes that are made to be wrecked without having to replace fairings or even the damn frame. And I like comfortable plush seats when riding for hours on end on the road. I just can't get T 700 to fit what I like to do off road or on road. 

So, Im gonna sell my 2800 mile T7 this spring. Don't worry, Ill keep the forum going! 

But damn, I am gonna miss this engine. And thats really why I bought the bike, I freaking love this amazing engine. It just puts the torque exactly where I want it and it sips fuel .

I have a 2007 FJ-1300 for long road trips that I absolutely love. I am gonna get a KTM 200 Two Stroke light weight for the Idaho Single Track.  2 bikes, two different purposes. 

Never thought I would do this.  Look for my bike to go up for sale in March, would love to see a fellow forum member buy it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

what are you thinking ? KTM 450 or 500 

I had a WR 450 it was awesome for what you describe but not fast enough, well too high RPM for long trip but the KTM with their 6th gear is a different game 

I think lots of people are going this way. I feel the same, though I've poured to much $$$ into the T7 to sell it and take such a big loss. So for a few years have been saving up for a KTM 500 EXC-F to add to the stable one day, still love the T7. It's just too heavy for long days on the trail or full confidence without breaking things. 

Edited by ScorpionT16
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, maddog123 said:

what are you thinking ? KTM 450 or 500 

I had a WR 450 it was awesome for what you describe but not fast enough, well too high RPM for long trip but the KTM with their 6th gear is a different game 

No, as stated above Im keeping my FJR-1300 for road trips and canyon fun, getting a KTM Two Stroke 200 for single trac trails in the mountains. Light and nimble is the way to go in the mountains. 

• Like 2

I am truly surprised that any one that bought a 450+ pound T7 or another multi cylinder adventure bike would actually think they would be able to ride it like a 300 pound dirt bike.

Edited by Simmons1
  • Like 1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

13 minutes ago, Simmons1 said:

I am truly surprised that any one that bought a 450+ pound T7 or another multi cylinder adventure bike would actually think they would be to ride it like a 300 pound dirt bike.

Never once thought I would ride it like I ride traditional dirt bikes. But the difference is much greater than I anticipated it would be. I'd keep it if I had a bigger garage, for simple dirt road days. But I found that when riding dirt roads, I still can't resist turning down each trail that I find to see where it goes. Pretty easy to flip a 220 lb two stroke around on a blocked steep hillside. Not as fun on a Dual Sport.  I thought that I would change my riding habits to accomodate a heavy bike that can go anywhere. 

Plus, on the road I don't like sitting up so high as much as other people do. My FJ-1300 has spoiled me on highways. I raise that large windscreen on the highway and ride all day. 

So in essence, yeah it's not the bike, it's me. I expected to change to accomodate, and didn't. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

I'd keep it if I had a bigger garage, for simple dirt road days

I 100% agree with you... 

A T7 (can be, or is) a "do everything" bike, but not a "do everything really good" bike.

Back in the day I road a KDX200... primitive/cheap/bulletproof. Small 2-stroke's are awesome fun.

Best wishes to you... send pictures!

• Like 3

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Moderators

Understandable as expectations are always high with a new bike, some work,  some don't.  Good you are keeping that FJR, I still miss mine for those long road trip days, but I just curtailed my mileage and the T7 fills the bill.  Still, the 140+hp is intoxicating! 

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Ktm 500 is the answer to all motorcycle questions involving off road and the ability to slab it. 

After 30ish bikes it’s the one I’ll never sell unless I replace it with a new one. 

The smiles per mile are unbeatable. 

Edited by mpatch

@Cruizin I don't see KTM having a 200cc 2-stroke anymore. What one are you looking at?

I kind'a like Yamaha's YZ250X. Basic old-school bike, simple/cheap. No electric start... we never needed them on a 2-stroke! Now that Pandora's box is open, riders have become a bunch of soft donuts eaters...

• Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I bought the T7 thinking I would be able to ride it like a true dirt bike. Boy was I wrong about that! Even with suspension mods, it still weighs 2.5X what my 125cc Penton did when I was in my 20's.  And 40 years later, I'm not the same rider I was back then. 

After riding the 1st 500 miles on the street, I realized just what a fun bike this is on the street, especially with the stock tires.  I have also learned how to ride a heavy bike offroad and am really enjoying adventure riding. 

I will be keeping the T7 forever.  It's just too much fun to ride and mine is set up very well to my likings. 

My 24 year old daughter has a Yamaha TTR125 dirt bike, and I quickly realized that I shouldn't ride the T7 with her or I would end up getting hurt. So, I bought a 20 year old YZ250F, fixed it up, and am having a great time riding single track and MX courses with her.  What a pleasure to ride a 215 lb dirt bike again! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I owned my 2021 T7 for 2 1/2 years and 21000 miles………loved the engine but disliked the bike overall.  It was definitely one of the most top heavy awkward bikes I’ve owned.

Good luck to the OP with the next bike.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hibobb said:

@Cruizin I don't see KTM having a 200cc 2-stroke anymore. What one are you looking at?

I kind'a like Yamaha's YZ250X. Basic old-school bike, simple/cheap. No electric start... we never needed them on a 2-stroke! Now that Pandora's box is open, riders have become a bunch of soft donuts eaters...

I rarely buy new and have a friend who is gonna sell me his 200 XC with a fresh top end and new tires. Even has the Pirelli Trials tire in the rear that I like. Only 40 HP or so, it is in my opinion the perfect Singletrack bike. I do also like the YZ 250, but its too much bike for many of the trails that I ride. I used to race on a YZ 250 back in the day.  

• Like 1

Enjoy your light weight bike. I wish I knew then what I know now when I rode 125cc bikes in my younger days! At least you can say you rode a T7 on and off road. There are a lot of wishful riders out there. I was one until 3 months ago. I thot my WR250R was top heavy until getting the Tenere. I plan to keep the WRR for now to use as a lighter alternative for more challenging rides.

Have you considered a YZ250FX? I rode one this summer at a Yamaha demo day and it felt very snappy, thin and light.

I am really enjoying the T7 and got some good forest road riding in last weekend. For me, it is a blast on the asphalt, twisties and all. I am starting to understand everyones comments about the engine torque. And standing feels very natural on it. I think I made a mistake in filling the tank just before starting the dirt sections. I figure that's close to 25lbs of fuel on top and almost went down in a short muddy section early on. It felt like the front end just slid sideways on me, which could be the stock tires, but I also wondered if the top weight moved around, it may have had an effect on my forward momentum. Of course it could just be me and my skills that caused it!

Dave.

I was really hoping the new CRF450RL was going to be the do all.

Nice motor, not too heavy; easy 110 - 120km/h cruising etc etc

But alas, Honda's maintenance schedule is a bit on the sniffy side.

1000km oil and filter change. Maybe stretch to 1500 - 2000km but still nowhere near a reasonable 5000km.

I may take a CRF 300 Rally for a test run in the new year.

Down a bit on power ( but the 310 big bore kit seems ok ) but I never do freeway riding anyway.

The T7 will be a keeper until I can't throw a leg over the seat.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

2 hours ago, Dualsport Dave said:

Enjoy your light weight bike. I wish I knew then what I know now when I rode 125cc bikes in my younger days! At least you can say you rode a T7 on and off road. There are a lot of wishful riders out there. I was one until 3 months ago. I thot my WR250R was top heavy until getting the Tenere. I plan to keep the WRR for now to use as a lighter alternative for more challenging rides.

Have you considered a YZ250FX? I rode one this summer at a Yamaha demo day and it felt very snappy, thin and light.

I am really enjoying the T7 and got some good forest road riding in last weekend. For me, it is a blast on the asphalt, twisties and all. I am starting to understand everyones comments about the engine torque. And standing feels very natural on it. I think I made a mistake in filling the tank just before starting the dirt sections. I figure that's close to 25lbs of fuel on top and almost went down in a short muddy section early on. It felt like the front end just slid sideways on me, which could be the stock tires, but I also wondered if the top weight moved around, it may have had an effect on my forward momentum. Of course it could just be me and my skills that caused it!

Dave.

I had a WRR 250 and fell out of love with it when I had a rescue helicopter ride.

I found it nervous and twitchy in the dirt and I think the on or off rear brake contributed to my close encounter with the ground.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

@Cruizin i'm glad you made your choice and are honest to yourself by getting a more proper bike for your type of riding. There are too many people on too powerful bikes that they think they are Marquez or Tarres, and only using  a little part of its possibilities, but never get the total fun out of it.

Ride on...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dualsport Dave said:

Dave.

Could well have been the stock tyres there's scarily little lateral grip off road. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cruizin said:

have a friend who is gonna sell me his 200 XC

It is nice to buy a bike that you can take for a test ride on a trail, to know what you are really getting.

For my 2-cents, I have a buddy that bought a 200XC and my opinion was that it was too snappy/peaky for my taste in the tight woods of my area.

I am sure with the right pipe and tuning it would have been better.

Looking to buy a KTM 200 but not sure where to start or what the different models are? Whether you’re looking for your first dirt bike, your next enduro bike,

• Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Good for you Cruizin for identifying what works best for you.  Nothing wrong with that.  While I go off-road with mine there is no doubt the T7 is not meant to be on single track to me.  It just isn't that bike IMO.  BTW, your excitement for your FJR partially inspired me to pick up my FJ9.  I'd wanted a FJ9 for a while and finally pulled the trigger on a well-farkled one last winter.  I was sure I'd like it but, man I am surprised at just how much I like it!  It kinda catches me off guard how much I want to ride that bike. 

My buddy had a KTM 300 and a 150/ both 2 strokes.  He was wanting a bike in-between and finally picked up a 250.  He loves it and sold the 300 recently.  Now all he rides is the 250 and says he'll sell the 150 next summer. I think I want that bike!!  I really just don't ride single track much anymore so not sure if i can justify it.  Sure would be a fun bike though... well see.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BikeBrother said:

@Cruizin i'm glad you made your choice and are honest to yourself by getting a more proper bike for your type of riding. There are too many people on too powerful bikes that they think they are Marquez or Tarres, and only using  a little part of its possibilities, but never get the total fun out of it.

Ride on...

I have a lot of freinds riding trails on 450's and they end up using like only 20% of the power and running low or even out of gas by end of day. 

This might be an unpopular opinion too, but I think the majority of modern motorcycle reviews are awful. Seems like dealers put on these grand, all-expenses-paid press events that lead to the most generic, hype articles about new bikes. Along with excellent pro-pairing (Chris Birch to KTM, Pol Tarres to Yamaha), the marketing does a really good job of selling an image.

• Like 4

advgoats.com