Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

This will be unpopular

Cruizin

I spend too much time on bumpy hardtop and gravel roads to ever think of selling, it's perfect for such travel, providing the distances aren't too far.  For long tours I'd have to go back to a GSX 1300R and pick my routes with more care too.   I have never had a hankering for technical stuff, singletrails, and I couldn't imagine using the T7 for such as it is a big heavy bike.  I think you're making a sound choice Cruzin.

@Cruizin, Your post got me reminiscing about my glory days back in the early 90's on a KDX200.

Then I started looking at Facebook market place "just to see"....

Then this happened!

20231227_173022.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

2 hours ago, Hibobb said:

@Cruizin, Your post got me reminiscing about my glory days back in the early 90's on a KDX200.

Then this happened!

20231227_173022.jpg

those were such great little bikes - I want one!

15 hours ago, Hibobb said:

Then this happened!

20231227_173022.jpg

image.png.4f114053188a26484081c2e982a3ff0f.png

• Haha 4

advgoats.com

On 12/22/2023 at 8:30 PM, random1781 said:

This might be an unpopular opinion too, but I think the majority of modern motorcycle reviews are awful. Seems like dealers put on these grand, all-expenses-paid press events that lead to the most generic, hype articles about new bikes. Along with excellent pro-pairing (Chris Birch to KTM, Pol Tarres to Yamaha), the marketing does a really good job of selling an image.

I am an author for a motorcycle mag and although I haven't been sent to an all expense paid press event in a far off land yet, the bike reviewers for our mag are lifetime riders who unlike most of us with experience on a few bikes, have been riding and reviewing all shapes and sizes of bikes for many years. They peg the good and the bad very quickly because they have the experience to do so. I am a gear and bike accessory type reviewer and I am proud to say that many comments I get are " I agree with your review".  Somehow I don't think Yamaha would have sold as many T7's if they had used ME for their marketing hype by showing me enjoying a flat ride down a gravel forest road.....

• Like 1

Once the pavement ends or for bombing around town, nobody ever wishes they had a bigger, heavier bike. 
I have everything from 800 pound Goldwing to 130 pound battery bike. And swapping between bikes can be very eye-opening.  Getting off the Tenere and jumping on the battery bike is night and day the same goes for jumping off the Goldwing and then getting on the Tenere. 
In my opinion, the biggest difference is going from the Tenere to either my KTM 350 or 500. The smiles per mile on the 500 are very hard to beat. Not too much less horsepower, 175 pounds lighter with legit good suspension. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mpatch said:

Once the pavement ends or for bombing around town, nobody ever wishes they had a bigger, heavier bike. 
I have everything from 800 pound Goldwing to 130 pound battery bike. And swapping between bikes can be very eye-opening.  Getting off the Tenere and jumping on the battery bike is night and day the same goes for jumping off the Goldwing and then getting on the Tenere. 
In my opinion, the biggest difference is going from the Tenere to either my KTM 350 or 500. The smiles per mile on the 500 are very hard to beat. Not too much less horsepower, 175 pounds lighter with legit good suspension. 

I don't take issue with your remarks. I also have a 900 pound Yamaha Venture and a 590 pound ( fat)  Tenere 700. Every time that I ride the Venture I remember why I keep it. soooooo comfortable. They are all designed for different purposes.  The 500's would drive me "buzzy" on  a 300 mile freeway ride to get to an off road section. I can get any bike I want and I choose the T7 for it ability to take me to the dirt and not toss me off when I am on the dirt.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NeilW said:

I don't take issue with your remarks. I also have a 900 pound Yamaha Venture and a 590 pound ( fat)  Tenere 700. Every time that I ride the Venture I remember why I keep it. soooooo comfortable. They are all designed for different purposes.  The 500's would drive me "buzzy" on  a 300 mile freeway ride to get to an off road section. I can get any bike I want and I choose the T7 for it ability to take me to the dirt and not toss me off when I am on the dirt.

300 miles to get to off road….I’d move or find a new hobby. 
Shet even on the goldwing 300 miles can be a decent days ride. 
“Adventure” bikes for the most part are street bikes with a bit more suspension and a skidplate.

Edited by mpatch

31 minutes ago, mpatch said:

300 miles to get to off road….I’d move or find a new hobby. 
Shet even on the goldwing 300 miles can be a decent days ride. 
“Adventure” bikes for the most part are street bikes with a bit more suspension and a skidplate.

No to the new hobby and it isn’t always 300 miles. The closest forest roads are 45 minutes at 55 mph though. Riding is riding I have done many 300 mile loop days with 50-100 off road interspersed. I enjoy any ride but forest sightseeing is now my favorite at almost 72

3 minutes ago, NeilW said:

No to the new hobby and it isn’t always 300 miles. The closest forest roads are 45 minutes at 55 mph though. Riding is riding I have done many 300 mile loop days with 50-100 off road interspersed. I enjoy any ride but forest sightseeing is now my favorite at almost 72

You suffer either way. Either suffer off road or on the slab. Most days I’d rather hate my life on the slab with a smaller bike vs wrestle a big bike off road. 

6 minutes ago, mpatch said:

You suffer either way. Either suffer off road or on the slab. Most days I’d rather hate my life on the slab with a smaller bike vs wrestle a big bike off road. 

Actually I have created a personal unicorn. Does everything I ask it. It is now comfortable enough to ride all day on the freeway or totally under control on the “off pavement” that I choose to ride. 

IMG_8342.jpeg

9 hours ago, mpatch said:

“Adventure” bikes for the most part are street bikes with a bit more suspension and a skidplate

Truer words were never spoken.

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

AJP  pr7 might light your fire . 

Spanish built bike.

Check out Greg Villalobos on you tube . I couldn’t get a link sorry. 
He has done it from unboxing to sorting for his own use to its sale .

Sale was due a business venture that needed funding . 

Great to watch as his camera work and presentation is excellent. 

On 12/29/2023 at 1:54 PM, NeilW said:

They are all designed for different purposes.  The 500's would drive me "buzzy" on  a 300 mile freeway ride to get to an off road section. I can get any bike I want and I choose the T7 for it ability to take me to the dirt and not toss me off when I am on the dirt.

Yeah that's it.  It's not like the old days growing up where you only had one bike and had to make it do everything you wanted.  Like you say, bigger bikes extend your comfort range.  Sure when you get to the other end it might not be as much fun, but the fun riding there will make up for it.   There are lotz of dirt roads in my region, most well tended, but there are those ones that have gates along them and I know from experience that those one are the ones full of ruts and sketchy creek crossings.

Why drop your bike in a creek?  Happens all the time and sometimes the plugs have to come out, a MAJOR pain!  Now the well graded roads have creeks too, you don't need to go into wild country just to see one lol.  Oh yes I understand the whole 'challenge' thing but I'm happy being unchallenged and  coming home with no dents or broken bones.  The whole Extreme Sport phenomena has lured a lot of people into doing things they really aren't up to I'm afraid.   Most of us just need to dial it down because aren't that good.

• Like 1

Good on you @Cruizin.  Getting a 220lb 2T is a fantastic idea for Idaho single track!  Its the only way I can do a lot of the single track in this state.  I have never considered my T7 a dirt bike or a dual sport.  The T7 is perfect for BDR type rides but is less than optimal on single track and 50" trails.  If multiple bikes is not an option, its a no brainer to switch to the 200 if it works for what you want to ride.

I've had two out of state friends (both with CRF450) buy a 250 and a 300 2T after riding our single track.  A third out of state friend with a WRX450 is currently looking for a deal on a 2T.  450s can wear you out in the hard stuff.  They'll keep their 450s for the faster stuff.  For BDRs they have a 990, Africa Twin, and 640 respectively.  The guy with the AT is switching to a T7 for BDRs.  I've got a 300cc 220lb 2T for the hard "I hate myself" rides and a 390 4T for the faster more open stuff.  The T7 has its place but if that's not what you are riding, why keep it?

Edit;  If you are going on "I hate myself" rides, get a good headlight.  Just saying

Edited by Idarex
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

The T7 is for me

A motorbike I commute on, canyon carve on, ride gravel roads, fire roads, go on highway to distant places to explore that area.

It is NOT a dirtbike, for that I would use a 250 two stroke, as I had before, but such bike sucks on everything above, its a single purpose bike really. So if I was still doing those things (i'm just not into it any more) I would have two bikes, a T7 and a 250 two stroke. Because there is no way I could live without the huge amount of distance on motorbike per year I use the T7 for. But that is me

Best of luck and have fun

On 12/21/2023 at 1:05 PM, Cruizin said:

Im done with heavy Dual sports. I always dreamed of a unicorn bike. I bike that I can ride all over the Northwest and hit trails along the way and also carve corners with. But man, Im sick of the weight. Yes, I know there are guys on youtube doing all kinds of single track hill climbing jumps and stuff an the Tenere 700, but that just isn't me.  The trails I like to ride, I like light 220lb Two strokes that I can easily lift by myself on a steep mountain side. I like bikes that are made to be wrecked without having to replace fairings or even the damn frame. And I like comfortable plush seats when riding for hours on end on the road. I just can't get T 700 to fit what I like to do off road or on road. 

So, Im gonna sell my 2800 mile T7 this spring. Don't worry, Ill keep the forum going! 

But damn, I am gonna miss this engine. And thats really why I bought the bike, I freaking love this amazing engine. It just puts the torque exactly where I want it and it sips fuel .

I have a 2007 FJ-1300 for long road trips that I absolutely love. I am gonna get a KTM 200 Two Stroke light weight for the Idaho Single Track.  2 bikes, two different purposes. 

Never thought I would do this.  Look for my bike to go up for sale in March, would love to see a fellow forum member buy it. 

I somewhat feel your pain.  The T7 is an AMAZING machine and it does many things well, and with the right skilled rider, it can do a lot more!  I got my ass kicked on the UTBDR but that was because we dropped into a sandy wash that wasn't ridden on in decades.  We had no business being there.  I dropped my T7 more times in that one mile than I have dropped any of my bikes in the past five years.  The problem was I couldn't pick the bike up myself.  

I listed my T7 for sale but took it down and decided to keep it.  Each motorcycle has a purpose and we need to remember to use them as such.  I bought a 2023 FE450 Heritage for the harder BDRs, Barstow to Vegas, Wyoming Rallys, etc...  I also have a 2022 TE 250i that is a perfect weapon for the mountains!

64198-1701632037-230084.jpg

20231205_161811.jpg

20231205_155508.jpg

Edited by r1superstar
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2023 at 2:42 PM, Cruizin said:

So in essence, yeah it's not the bike, it's me. I expected to change to accomodate, and didn't. 

You’re giving me the “it’s not you, it’s me” routine? I invented “it’s not you, it’s me.”!

• Haha 1

whisperquiet        Dualsport Dave

• whisperquietCollaboratorDualsport DaveRookie

I thot my WR250R was top heavy until getting the Tenere. 

It was definitely one of the most top heavy awkward bikes I’ve owned.

I've been hearing how top heavy the Tenere is ever since the first review, and I always kind of discounted it. Now four years later I actually bought one, and I have to admit, it's a real thing. I've test ridden a KTM 890, which did not seem top heavy to me, and a Triumph 1200 Scrambler, which did. But I assumed the Tenere would be different because it's 55 pounds lighter than the Triumph. And maybe the Scrambler is worse; I can't compare them side by side.

It's kind of embarrassing to me because being 6' 4" tall, I thought it wouldn't matter. I raced motocross once upon a time, but that was 50 years ago. Now I'm reviewing what drills I need to do to gain confidence. I'm looking up what rider courses are available locally. In the meantime, I'm inspired by Doodle on a Motorcycle, who is so short every motorcycle must seem top heavy to her, and she has simply overcome it with practice and training.

• Like 1

@Montesa_VR it is super top heavy. It is a little bit of an ego blow for me to say it,  but the 20mm lowering links have really boosted my confidence. It makes the bike feel lighter, and can always be returned to stock later.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thought. I do have some similar feelings as I ride more. I will be selling my bike because I have to get back surgery soon (unrelated to riding), so I’m not sure when I’ll go back, but when I do it most likely will not be off road.