Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Black Widow and Aliexpress High Mount Exhaust

RiderEh

Hi all,

I got this installed last night. The Black Widow Exhaust seems really nice, though I'm not a big fan of the band for mounting. I had to reshape it for the position I had to mount it with this Aliexpress kit, and that was quite difficult. I'm wondering if I could lubricate the rubber with WD40 to help it slip around so that I can twist the exhaust more before tightening. If anyone has experience with this please let me know. I paid $330 CAD to my door for this carbon unit. The non carbon would have been $50 cheaper or so.

The Aliexpress unit has clean welds and is a great high mount for the price. There are extra springs, and the hooks for the springs in case you want to weld them onto your pipe. You could grind the extra spring hooks off if you wish as well, but I likely won't bother. The heat shield was very sharp and I spent some time filing and sanding the edges so they would not tear up my gear. I actually like that it's a two piece as it helps you with alignment of your exhaust. This was about $105 CAD to my door.

My next problem is finding a tail tidy that will work. I'm not sure the Tusk will provide sufficient clearance for the blinkers.

image.png.7a018bf153a4006cea2a336b1b8b052d.png

image.png.7e5c5d8aa3fdd4569b2f62d6590018c7.png

image.png.96a0b7150759fae00832b6ebfafe9524.png

image.png.a88baf67a2a7b04ba7dcb39b32426c5a.png

image.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RiderEh said:

I'm wondering if I could lubricate the rubber with WD40 to help it slip around so that I can twist the exhaust more before tightening. If anyone has experience with this please let me know.

Don't use WD40! Take liquid soap.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I really like your setup.   Could you post details (links) of exactly what you ordered.  There are so many options on the Black Widow site I'm not sure what you have.  Also, a link to the Ali Express unit on your bike would be great.

Do the passenger foot pegs have to go, or can they stay on?

Hi All,

To update the post, I made one small modification. The Aliexpress mid pipe came with additional hooks you could weld onto the muffler you purchased. They even supplied stainless steel hooks with the extra springs (great job on them). So I had these welded on. The problem was the springs were too long due to the constraints of the muffler where you could weld the hook, but given it was spring steel I just clipped the spring hooks shorter and bent them back into a hook shape (don't clip too short if you do this, trial fit it first).

Here's the links for what I bought:

https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/300mm-oval-stainless-carbon-tip-slip-on-silencer-5687-p.asp

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005709236584.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.14.c4441802Tb5j5A

I'd recommend shopping around on Ali, you may find the same mid pipe from a different vendor for cheaper.

And yes, you can keep the passenger pegs.

Edited by RiderEh

23 minutes ago, SXXP said:

Thank you!

If you order this exhaust, let them know you need an extra muffler sticker, send my picture for reference why. They were kind enough to send me a new one, which I have yet to install.

Thanks for the tip.

Also, what does the band that wraps around the muffler attach to the underside of the bike?  Any drilling/mods required to accommodate mounting brackets etc.?  If you would, when you get a chance, snap a couple of pics of the underside showing where/how the band strap attaches to (a bracket ?)  the underside of the bike. 

Thank you.

Do you need to run a spark arrestor in Canada?  We do down in SoCal if riding off-road.  I'm thinking the DB Killer might serve the same purpose.

I just checked out your links and see the mounting bracket for the hanger strap that's included with the Ali Express midpipe.  Are there pre-existing mounting holes on the bike where it attaches?  Sorry for all the Qs but I don't have a bike to look at yet  - I pick it up tomorrow!!

I see a round (as opposed to oval)  option for the Black Widow muffler that would alleviate the concern with trying to rotate and fit the pre-formed oval hanger strap.  Only problem, to me, is from an aesthetics perspective as that  option doesn't come with a carbon tip which I think looks real cool.   

There are preexisting holes for the mounting bracket under the fender, it's fairly simple. The only annoying thing is reforming the band. I still want to adjust mine some more so it fits better.

I think a spark arrestor is required on trails in most areas, this db killer is effectively a spark arrestor. I understand without it the bike is quite loud, I don't want that as loud noise is exhausting on the ears. 

Yeah there is also a tri-oval muffler. I just wanted to keep it simple, and oval tends to be narrower or look better imho.

On 1/11/2024 at 4:23 AM, RiderEh said:

Hi all,

I got this installed last night. The Black Widow Exhaust seems really nice, though I'm not a big fan of the band for mounting. I had to reshape it for the position I had to mount it with this Aliexpress kit, and that was quite difficult. I'm wondering if I could lubricate the rubber with WD40 to help it slip around so that I can twist the exhaust more before tightening. If anyone has experience with this please let me know. I paid $330 CAD to my door for this carbon unit. The non carbon would have been $50 cheaper or so.

The Aliexpress unit has clean welds and is a great high mount for the price. There are extra springs, and the hooks for the springs in case you want to weld them onto your pipe. You could grind the extra spring hooks off if you wish as well, but I likely won't bother. The heat shield was very sharp and I spent some time filing and sanding the edges so they would not tear up my gear. I actually like that it's a two piece as it helps you with alignment of your exhaust. This was about $105 CAD to my door.

My next problem is finding a tail tidy that will work. I'm not sure the Tusk will provide sufficient clearance for the blinkers.

A great option would be to replace and relocate the blinkers onto the plastics behind the tail lamp, that way they are clear of heat from the exhaust and will not give you any issues with clearance irrespective of the tail tidy you get. If you want a full tail tidy, then any one of them should work once the indicators have been relocated. Picture below for reference of replacement and relocation of indicators. And those indicators are from AliExpress as well and have been working perfertly fine.

2F553238-E41D-49FC-ACA2-5D3E33D872C4.jpg.5cbdd12b3d2da8866e7ba92e2a72d05c.jpg

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

My plan is to get an Aliexpress tail tidy, I just haven't figured out which one yet. Then I will relocate the blinkers below the license plate with some aluminum L angle.

On 3/1/2024 at 6:05 AM, RiderEh said:

My plan is to get an Aliexpress tail tidy, I just haven't figured out which one yet. Then I will relocate the blinkers below the license plate with some aluminum L angle.

I went with the Tusk Tail Tidy kit and mounted it up last night.  It's really well made and heavy (literally) duty - it's steel, not aluminum!  I used the stubby LED turn signals that came with the kit instead of the OEM.  Instructions were great, plus I used the RMATVMC installation video on YouTube to help with the process.  Everything works well and looks good. 

BUT... (isn't that always the case?!), my Black Widow exhaust can (I went with all black with the carbon tip) also came in yesterday, and from holding it in place (using your pics for reference) I can already see the can and the the turn signal are not going to play nice.  I have some time to figure out a solution while I wait for the Ali Express mid-pipe to show up - it's two weeks out on a slow boat from China!

Does the mid-pipe allow for some wiggle room in the exhaust can placement or does it pretty much lock it into more or less one position? 

I'll post some pics of the new exhaust and the Tail Tidy this evening to show what I'm talking about.

Edited by SXXP

I ordered a cheapo Aliexpress tail tidy this week, so I will update with my solution in about a month after it arrives. I know I will be relocating the lights to below the exhaust tip, probably mid-license plate height. I plan on using 2" aluminum L angle for new blinker brackets.

The mid pipe does allow you to move the exhaust in and out, ie further to the right away from the bike, or closer to the tire. But you need to be careful, I tried pushing mine as far out to the right as I want tire clearance and swingarm clearance.

• Like 1

Any tips on "re-molding" the pre-formed oval hanger strap to it's new oval position?

I also ordered an extra round 110 mm strap from Black Widow in the hope that as it's not pre-formed it would be less of a struggle to mount, but 110 mm is too loose/sloppy on the can - I think a 100 mm or maybe a 95 mm would have been a better option.

Edited by SXXP

1 hour ago, SXXP said:

Any tips on "re-molding" the pre-formed oval hanger strap to it's new oval position?

I also ordered an extra round 110 mm strap from Black Widow in the hope that as it's not pre-formed it would be less of a struggle to mount, but 110 mm is too loose/sloppy on the can - I think a 100 mm or maybe a 95 mm would have been a better option.

It's difficult to form, I don't have any tips. I'm going to try to get mine better by removing the rubber cover, and putting painters tape around the can so I don't scratch it, and then form as best I can. I think the rubber may be making it more difficult to eyeball/get close.