Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Garmin inReach Messenger - review

NeilW

I have had mine for a few months and taken several rides with it. My loved ones want to know that I am ok and my friends want to know where I am. The inReach Messenger does both plus SOS. The messenger is a self contained 3x2 inch unit that does have a functional screen and buttons. The big feature of the messenger is its Bluetooth connection to your smart phone. Much easier to type on your phone than scrolling through the alphabet on the device. It also has a large battery that can last 45 days or more sending a pin drop every 30 minutes to a clear sky. 7 days or more in tree cover areas. You can even charge your cell phone from it - at least enough to do some real messages. Garmin has 3 levels of subscription. The cheapest is $144 per year. It allows  10 full length texts to an almost unlimited contact list and unlimited  fixed “check in messages “. Every time you send a free check in messsge to your contact list they see your location on Garmin explore map. If you have the recreation level subscription then you drop a pin every 10 minutes that shows on the Garmin explore map. 
if you only ride / use the unit during the summer, you can suspend your monthly payments and only pay for the months you use. They do charge a fee for that convenience. I have a lot more info if anyone is interested as I did a  review on it for ultimate Motorcycling. My plan is to use the lowest cost plan $12 per month for most of the year and then up to the next level for the long distance summer riding months. - no fee for going up or down if you are on the annual plan. 
hope this helps if you are on the fence between the inreach mini and the messenger. 

• Like 2

I also have the Messenger, and have had it for almost a year. A few things to note: 

1)  It has a directional antenna that needs to lay flat to point at the sky. Thus means that if you have it in a pocket, it will not work as well as an InReach Mini-2 with its omnidirectional antenna, unless you take it out of your pocket and point it to the sky.

2)  The Zumo XT had, and most likely still has, a communication issue with the Messenger. I worked with Garmin support for about six months to characterize this issue.  It does not happen with the Mini2 and the Messenger works fine with the Zumo XT2.  It was a deal breaker for me and I now have a Zumo XT2.

While the Messenger is $100 less expensive, I would buy a Mini2 at this point. The reason for that is the omnidirectional antenna and the likelihood that a passerby that found me unconscious would see the device and know how to use it. 

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

I also have the Messenger, and have had it for almost a year. A few things to note: 

1)  It has a directional antenna that needs to lay flat to point at the sky. Thus means that if you have it in a pocket, it will not work as well as an InReach Mini-2 with its omnidirectional antenna, unless you take it out of your pocket and point it to the sky.

2)  The Zumo XT had, and most likely still has, a communication issue with the Messenger. I worked with Garmin support for about six months to characterize this issue.  It does not happen with the Mini2 and the Messenger works fine with the Zumo XT2.  It was a deal breaker for me and I now have a Zumo XT2.

While the Messenger is $100 less expensive, I would buy a Mini2 at this point. The reason for that is the omnidirectional antenna and the likelihood that a passerby that found me unconscious would see the device and know how to use it. 

Good information.  I keep it in my chest pocket. As you can see, it was 100% successful placing a pin every 10 minutes. For those not familiar, my different speeds caused the pins to drop at unequal distances.

garmin.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hollybrook said:

I have also had mine for over a year and about 20k miles of riding. Have not had the reception issues you mention. I keep mine in my thigh pocket of my ‘stitch and it works just fine even in deep tree cover.
I do ALOT of solo riding and in places where I seldom see other traffic and where there is no cellphone service so it’s nice to know that I have a SOS available if the SHTF. 
I use the lowest level subscription and suspend it in the winter months. 
My wife appreciates me being able to let he know that I’ve made it to my planned camp location and am safe at the end of the day even if I can’t call her. 

The battery life on the unit is phenomenal and you can go for a multi week trip without worrying about charging it as long as it can see the satellites. It will use up the battery a little more quickly if it is constantly trying to get a satellite lock. 

I haven’t tried syncing it with my XT. What would be the advantage of doing so?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Liquidape said:

I have also had mine for over a year and about 20k miles of riding. Have not had the reception issues you mention. I keep mine in my thigh pocket of my ‘stitch and it works just fine even in deep tree cover.
I do ALOT of solo riding and in places where I seldom see other traffic and where there is no cellphone service so it’s nice to know that I have a SOS available if the SHTF. 
I use the lowest level subscription and suspend it in the winter months. 
My wife appreciates me being able to let he know that I’ve made it to my planned camp location and am safe at the end of the day even if I can’t call her. 

The battery life on the unit is phenomenal and you can go for a multi week trip without worrying about charging it as long as it can see the satellites. It will use up the battery a little more quickly if it is constantly trying to get a satellite lock. 

I haven’t tried syncing it with my XT. What would be the advantage of doing so?

It syncs with the XT and XT2. The XT1 or 2 ( I have both)  then acts like a remote control. you can send SOS, check ins and full texts using the  GLOVE friendly XT screens.

Edited by NeilW

@Hollybrook

5 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

I just connected my messenger to my XT1. Here is a photo for proof that they work together 

IMG_8854.jpeg.79069702879041648fc47d9f2048e677.jpeg

IMG_8855.jpeg

Edited by NeilW

@NeilW The issue I had was if you walk out of range and the connection is dropped, they would not reconnect unless the Zumo XT was rebooted.  Just turning off the screen and turning it back on would not work.  Neither would rebooting the Messenger.  Garmin support was able to recreate this 100% of the time but not willing to fix it in the end-of-life XT.

For me, this would not allow walking away from the bike to look at a difficult section of the trail without having to go without the connection or having to reboot the Zumo and reconnect my helmet connection.

As for the satellite connection, I often ride in hilly woods and the 10 minute track points are frequently missed.  The only time I really needed the Messenger was when a guy I was riding with crashed into a tree, injuring himself and making the bike unrepairable in the field.  We were in the mountains of SW Virginia and I was not able to get out a message to my wife, even by carefully orienting the Messenger.  One of the guys on the ride did have a Mini2, but he was taking care of the medical issues while I was working on the bike to see if we could get it out under its own power.  With all that going on, I did not check to see if he had a usable signal.  If I  had been alone and unable to extract myself, I would not have been able to send a SOS without hiking to the top of one of the hills, something I might not have been  able to do if injured.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

@NeilW The issue I had was if you walk out of range and the connection is dropped, they would not reconnect unless the Zumo XT was rebooted.  Just turning off the screen and turning it back on would not work.  Neither would rebooting the Messenger.  Garmin support was able to recreate this 100% of the time but not willing to fix it in the end-of-life XT.

For me, this would not allow walking away from the bike to look at a difficult section of the trail without having to go without the connection or having to reboot the Zumo and reconnect my helmet connection.

As for the satellite connection, I often ride in hilly woods and the 10 minute track points are frequently missed.  The only time I really needed the Messenger was when a guy I was riding with crashed into a tree, injuring himself and making the bike unrepairable in the field.  We were in the mountains of SW Virginia and I was not able to get out a message to my wife, even by carefully orienting the Messenger.  One of the guys on the ride did have a Mini2, but he was taking care of the medical issues while I was working on the bike to see if we could get it out under its own power.  With all that going on, I did not check to see if he had a usable signal.  If I  had been alone and unable to extract myself, I would not have been able to send a SOS without hiking to the top of one of the hills, something I might not have been  able to do if injured.

Interesting and important information. Thanks for sharing 

• Like 1

I always carry a PLB for dire emergencies.

I have thought about activating the InReach built into my Montana 700 but can't be bothered with the cost.

When out riding alone I leave a basic route map with Mrs 101.

• Like 2

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

After having difficulty connecting to the Iridium satellite network that Garmin uses, I decided to start carrying my PLB again when in remote areas. A belt and suspenders approach, if you will. 

A PLB is only good for sending a SOS with location directly to search and rescue that includes ago you are and a phone number. The InReach contacts Garmin's help desk which will take a proactive role in helping you, as well as limited texting and providing an internet accessible tracking function. Because you are working through the help desk, the response can be tailored to exactly what you need. 

• Like 2

I believe Garmin help desk is in the US.

I hear that people in Oz have issues.

The InReach is good for messages.

PLBs here in Oz have a reaction response of around 6 hours to execute a rescue.

You register with AMSA with you details ( phone numbers, addresses, etc etc )

In the event of activation AMSA will ring through your contacts to see if it is a genuine emergency.

• Like 3

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

15 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

I confirmed that the Messenger will not reconnect with the XT if you take it out of range. Like you said, the zumo has to be off and on.  The XT2 doesn't have that issue.

• Like 1

That is how a PLB works in the USA, though response time is much better, at least for marine use. Registration is through NOAA and requires an update every 2 years.  PLB (and EPIRB) activation goes through the NOAA SARSAT operations center and is routed to local search and rescue. They do not know what is wrong, only that you have some type of emergency and where you are. They should call the emergency numbers listed in your registration, but those people will also not know what is wrong. 

With the InReach system, Garmin's call center will contact you through the InReach and find out what you need. Only if you do not respond, will the response be similar to the PLB.  Thus, you can use the InReach to get a tow from a remote area, but it would not be appropriate to do so with a PLB unless it was life threatening. 

With a Zumo, you can also configure the InReach to automatically send a SOS if you have an accident.  This could be a life saver if you are unable to send one yourself due to a severe injury. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NeilW said:

I confirmed that the Messenger will not reconnect with the XT if you take it out of range. Like you said, the zumo has to be off and on.  The XT2 doesn't have that issue.

Yup...

A significant benefit of a PLB is that the battery lasts 5 years, while an InReach needs to be kept charged.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hollybrook said:

A significant benefit of a PLB is that the battery lasts 5 years, while an InReach needs to be kept charged.

My routine before each ride

Charge my Klim airbag vest

charge my Innovv5 helmet cam

charge my bluetooth comms

charge my inreach

charge my break free

I can remember a time when I didn't charge anything before a ride but that was pre 2002

@NeilW I keep the pacemaker charged as well.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2