Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

ABS dongle

random1781

Looks like a company called LSK made an ABS dongle, currently only for TFT models, but apparently eventually coming to the older models as well. From their site:

• A short push of stock "ABS" button will toggle between the rear ABS OFF and ABS ON.
  • A long hold (approx. 1 second) of stock "ABS" button will turn ABS completely OFF (front and rear ABS).
  • ABS settings are retained in memory even after turning the motorcycle OFF and ON.

Cool idea to modify the button behavior rather than just retain the settings. €109 seems a bit high, but honestly it's probably worth reclaiming the amount of time I've spent pressing and holding that dumb button.

• Like 5

advgoats.com

3 hours ago, random1781 said:

Looks like a company called LSK made an ABS dongle, currently only for TFT models, but apparently eventually coming to the older models as well. From their site:

• A short push of stock "ABS" button will toggle between the rear ABS OFF and ABS ON.
  • A long hold (approx. 1 second) of stock "ABS" button will turn ABS completely OFF (front and rear ABS).
  • ABS settings are retained in memory even after turning the motorcycle OFF and ON.

Cool idea to modify the button behavior rather than just retain the settings. €109 seems a bit high, but honestly it's probably worth reclaiming the amount of time I've spent pressing and holding that dumb button.

Would like to see it on the old model as well. Sadly, disabling rear ABS seems not to be possible ever on these bikes.

BTW, they make a fuel cap hinge!

https://www.lskelectronics.com/store/CNC-Machined-Fuel-Cap-Holder-for-Yamaha-Tenere-700-p619105725

56 minutes ago, JB700 said:

Are you sure ?

on my 2020 euro4 bike I can totally turn off the ABS 

Ditto. I meant turning off the rear only, sorry.

I wonder what an insurance company would think should you get into an incident? Yamaha considers it wise to reset the setting each time. That decision undoubtedly has a legal component.

• Like 1

Be great for the older models as long as it works on the fly 

6 hours ago, Aalt said:

I wonder what an insurance company would think should you get into an incident? Yamaha considers it wise to reset the setting each time. That decision undoubtedly has a legal component.

I just went down a rabbit hole because I've been curious about what the origin is for complicated ABS disabling. In the US, there don't seem to be any regulations regarding behavior of the ABS switch. FMVSS 122 covers technical and performance requirements for ABS. FMVSS 123 covers controls and displays, but in regards to ABS it just defines the symbol.

Unsurprisingly, it's a UN GTR that defines the behavior that we all know and love:

12. The purpose of a two-step means disabling ABS is intended to ensure an intentional
choice of the rider and providing reasonable provisions to ensure ABS is not inadvertently
disabled. Conversely specifying a "simple" means of re-enabling ABS is intended to ensure
the rider can at any time bring ABS back to full function. In the case of disabling of ABS-
performance, the re-enabling at after each vehicle start-up is intended to prevent riders from
inadvertently leaving ABS disabled when coming back to the bike.

So this is what gives us the press-and-hold design and re-enabling. Ironically, the paragraph before that one says:

Providing riders a means to reduce or turn off ABS may limit the customers desire to tamper
with the system and disable or disconnect ABS in a permanent way with unintended consequences.

Yamaha's GYTR Rally Kit has a full ABS delete, so what Yamaha considers wise probably depends on the market. But the reality is that manufacturers design production to the least common legal denominator, like with emissions, so this winds up being a world-wide standard.

• Like 3

advgoats.com

I will be impressed if they are able to disable the rear wheel ABS on the monochrome display models.  It makes sense that for the TFT models that have front wheel only ABS, they are able to get the ECU to go into this mode.  To me, the real benefit of this device is the memory function.

On my monochrome display bike, I am looking into adding a switch that will put the bike into off-road mode, even on the fly.  My thought is that I often shut off the bike while riding off pavement, forget to turn the ABS off again when restarting, and later want the ABS disabled when I struggle with downhills followed by a turn.

I will post a new thread on this when I actually have it completed, but the basics are using a DPDT switch to disable the ABS and bypass the clutch and side stand switches.  Turning off the ignition will not change any of these settings.  To return to street mode will require turning off the off-road switch and then turning the ignition off and on again, at which point all off road settings are disabled.

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

I will be impressed if they are able to disable the rear wheel ABS on the monochrome display models.  It makes sense that for the TFT models that have front wheel only ABS, they are able to get the ECU to go into this mode.  To me, the real benefit of this device is the memory function.

On my monochrome display bike, I am looking into adding a switch that will put the bike into off-road mode, even on the fly.  My thought is that I often shut off the bike while riding off pavement, forget to turn the ABS off again when restarting, and later want the ABS disabled when I struggle with downhills followed by a turn.

I will post a new thread on this when I actually have it completed, but the basics are using a DPDT switch to disable the ABS and bypass the clutch and side stand switches.  Turning off the ignition will not change any of these settings.  To return to street mode will require turning off the off-road switch and then turning the ignition off and on again, at which point all off road settings are disabled.

If you manage to disable the safety cut outs too on the same switch that would be awesome. 

• Like 1

My understanding is that a switch on the rear wheel sensor disables the ABS on both wheels.  Is that not correct? 

I found a bar mounted switch connected to the side stand switch was the simplest solution to killing the engine but retaining ABS off.

A dongle would be good for the older models but the holy grail would be the addition of switchable ABS on the fly.

• Like 2

Descripción Descripción: Este ABS Switch permite desconectar el sistema ABS en marcha, con tan solo un click. Desactiva el ABS de la moto con tan solo un gesto mientras estás en marcha. Información adicional Información...

• Like 4

@Tom_R that looks like a commercial version of the Nerb1 mod.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tom_R said:

Descripción Descripción: Este ABS Switch permite desconectar el sistema ABS en marcha, con tan solo un click. Desactiva el ABS de la moto con tan solo un gesto mientras estás en marcha. Información adicional Información...

Trying to think where id mount that switch?

Has anyone got one?

On the right side, where the the rubber cap for USB port is located.

I can take a picture tomorrow. 

Or search on Youtube,  they have an installation video....

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tom_R said:

Oh yeah, doh! 

Honestly couldn't picture anywhere for it from memory 😆

6 hours ago, Tom_R said:

My switch

ABS switch.jpg

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

Blah blah blah TFT screens..... finger.gif.3ac79749ddf54780401d35543ac7b9ba.gif

What about us mere mortals that can't afford a newer bike?  dunno.gif.6b7aa15b1e2b5e8b427351050655f46d.gif 

Would be very nice to have a switchable rear on the fly.

Any computing gurus out there that could work this out?

Edited by Rider 101

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

1 hour ago, Rider 101 said:

Any computing gurus out there that could work this out?

Next ABS dongle for Yamaha Tenere 2019-2022 should provide ABS memory and additional functionality for turning off ONLY rear ABS. Still in development, keep us finger crossed. #lskelectronics...

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Tom_R said:

Next ABS dongle for Yamaha Tenere 2019-2022 should provide ABS memory and additional functionality for turning off ONLY rear ABS. Still in development, keep us finger crossed. #lskelectronics...

Woo Hoo!!

Hope it comes off.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Kwak said:

Does it work as there website discribes? 

Yes.....

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 12:20 PM, sunndog said:

Trying to think where id mount that switch?

Has anyone got one?

Here's a video of 1 install. Looks clean. Plug and play from a wiring perspective. In this case they did drill into the dash for a toggle switch. https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3splWCIHeO

Just found out about this mod.  Going to try it soon as I can get my hands on one.  The LSK website says they are on backorder at this time, they do seem to have a price so looks good for them to actually come out for the older display.   One thing is a little different, the older style cost more than the one for the TFT display.  Price includes VAT, which does not apply to me, but shipping will make it about the same price I'm sure. 

Saw it on the video put out by TShansen on the u-tube.  https://www.youtube.com/@tshansen 

2006 R1,  2018 XR650L, 2022 T7, 2023 Desert X, 2024 WR450F, 2025 V2 final edition