Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Is it okay to install a 80-90-21 front tire?

MichaelN
Go to solution Solved by AZJW,

Hi all,

I have managed to get a good deal on some Michelin Anakee Wild tires, but the sizes are not exactly the same as the OEM tires. The tires I got are:

• 140-80-18 70r (stock tire is 150/70 R18 M/C 70V M+S). Although not the same size, I have seen multiple posts of people running there setups with these tires, so I am not too worried.
  • 80-90-21 48s fron tire (stock tire is 90/90 R21 M/C 54V M+S). It is just like the back tire a bit smaller, but I cannot find any posts on whether it is safe to install these or whether I should look for other tires instead.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience on this. 

• Moderators
  • Solution

@MichaelN Welcome to the forum.

Good question.  Like a lot of answers, they're subjective and it boils down to who/ what you believe.  The 140 vs 150 rear discussion is ongoing and well represented on this and probably all motorcycle forums, some think it's fine, others don't. 

Regarding tire sizing, it should be done according to the tire manufacturers rim size recommendations.  Pg. 2- 7 of the T7 service manual specs the oem front rim as  21- 1.85, so personally I'd be looking for a tire size that fits that spec.  My personal opinion is if you don't mind a smaller footprint and possibly a slight speedo error, then you should be fine. 

Tire Size Conversion Chart, decipher a motorcycle tire size, what are tire speed ratings and more.

Screenshot_20240220_075119_Dropbox.jpg.37739e6b56eb882fca97d7eafe4aeecf.jpg

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Thank you so much for your quick reply! Seems like I should be okay running these tires for a while and when I switch next I will better look at the specs.

• Like 1