Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

stock peg bracket bolts stuck

eyeguy

I bought some 20mm lowering brackets to try as I am 6ft 4 and when I stand I dont get much purchase with my legs. The stock bolts are torx t-50 i believe. I have tried an impact wrench and even a long handled ratchet and put as much pressure on them as I dare nothing moved. They are not reverse threaded are they or something else I am missing?

I’ve had mine off and can confirm they are regular thread. Probably just too much locktite from factory. Try a heat gun and slide a pipe over your ratchet handle for even more leverage. Pray the torx bit snaps before the bolt head gets chewed out…

• Like 1

Thanks for the heating tip. Will give that a go.

Mine were super tight,  like many bolts on the bike from the factory. 

6 hours ago, eyeguy said:

Thanks for the heating tip. Will give that a go.

I've heard (but not tried it myself) that a soldering iron is helpful, but I guess a heat gun like @Samm suggests will work equally good.

Soldering iron makes sense. I grabbed a great big washer and a vice grip to shield at least partially the nearby metal next to the bolt.  Will give it a try later today.

• Like 1

It took a heat paint stripping gun to heat the area and a soldering iron onto the base of the head of the bol or 3-5 min. Even then an impact wrench wouldnt do it. Had to get out a ratchet with a long handle. Was not sure what was going to give first the torx bit or strip the bolt or break free luckily it was the last. 

• Like 1