Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T 7 Seat trouble

Herman

We finally got some temps in the 50's here in the tri state area so I decided to take the maiden voyage on my new T 7. The ride lasted about 25 minutes and I covered about 15 miles, but that was enough to decide that I love everything about this bike except for the seat. It felt like I was sitting on a 2x4. While I realize that I am much older now (65) and a little over weight I could not believe how fast I got very uncomfortable with the density of the seat foam. I guess most ADV bikes and dual sport bikes share this in common. I have looked into a solution costing from about $50 for a 3D cover to  3-4 hundred dollars for foam and cover to a brand new seat assembly at well over $400. I am wondering if any of the older T 7 riders out there have had to deal with this problem, and if so what is the best way over come the comfort issue with this seat. I am fairly handy and own a pneumatic staple gun and while I never reupholstered  anything I am up for the challenge. However if a new seat assembly is the best way to go I am not put off by the expense, I just don't want pay for 2-3 alternatives before I find the right solution. I should also say that the warmth or coolness of the seat is not at issue. Only the comfort on my backside. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

14 minutes ago, Herman said:

I just don't want pay for 2-3 alternatives

@Herman, like you, I am 65 and I don't have the butt muscles I used to. 

I tried:

The one piece Seat Concepts "Comfort" seat

The two piece Seat Concepts "Touring" seat

The Yamaha "Tall Rally" one piece seat

Sheepskin cover

Beads

Fancy riding shorts

Non of which replaced the butt of my youth.

For me, the Seat Concept one piece comfort seat was the best, but still painful on any ride over 200 miles, maybe add another 50 miles to that if I put on the diaper-butt riding shorts..

I started walking last month, lost 10 pound so far, shooting for another 10 to go.

May resort to doing "squats" to build the booty as they say.

Best of luck to you. 

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I'm only 55, but 6'-4" and not slim. I went with the Seat Concepts one piece comfort tall. I have to stretch after 200 miles anyway. Standing occasionally helps too.

First, thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I was already leaning toward the seat concepts but at $300+ I wanted to get some advice from someone who has already been down this road. I still work at doing outdoor property maintenance so coming home and working with weights is a bit much for me although the idea of knocking off a couple pounds is good advice. I also do not see myself taking any 200 mlle + trips as I mostly use the bike on the street locally for running errands and just getting the wind in my face. So thanx again for the advice as it instills the confidence needed for me to bust a move in the right direction. 👍

I'm 65 and about to turn 20,000 miles I really like the stock seat. I generally ride 200 miles a ride and have done over 600 miles in a day.

I did have the front portion recovered with a smoother vinal so I could slide around a little.

IMG_2140.JPG

• Like 1

In my opinion, the seat concepts seat is not worth the money.

Somehow it’s not that much better than the stock seat.
I have their seats on other bikes and they are great, but something went wrong with the T7 seat and it’s not good. 

• Like 1

I wear Motoskiveez and have a rally seat.

I can do a reasonably full day without too much trouble.

I am going to do a 10 hour ride shortly. Mostly tar and dirt backroads.

I am thinking about putting the Airhawk on.

Makes a hell difference for long days sitting.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

When I bought the Yamaha Tenere 700 my butt was screaming after 2 hours of riding. Got the seat concept front cover and never looked back. Even 8 hours plus riding on the seat concept was no problem at all. It really worked magic for me.

01-10a.jpeg

• Like 2

• Moderators

Moved from Seat Concepts vendor thread.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I  run an AirHawk pad on the stock seat and am happy with the result.

I would love to try a seat concepts seat , but can't convince myself to spend the money.

4-5 hours of hwy driving don't bother me with the AirHawk seat pad.  Anytime I start to feel discomfort  I stand up for a bit and it helps get the blood flowing and relieve any pain.  

6-7 hour off-road trips never bother me because of the mix of standing/sitting.  

• Like 1

I'm 64 and coming up on three years of T7 ownership with over 17k miles on the bike. To me the OEM seat wasn't too bad, but just for grins I participated in the Seat Concepts group buy here in late 2021 and got their one-piece comfort seat. The SC seat was horrible for me, making my butt numb within 30 miles each time I rode with it so I sold it on within a month. Also, while SC claimed it was stock height it was actually taller than OEM at the front which was a no-go for me especially when off-road. SC and OEM seat pic below.

20210811_152444.jpg.7a3194a327b4dacab42d9eaf28988547.jpg

I also tried a Sargent seat for a few weeks which was an improvement, but didn't like the pocket it forced me into and it was sold. 

I've stuck with the OEM seat ever since, doing numerous 375 mile days of combined on/off road and giving my butt a break while standing off-road definitely helps. If I ever go for longer rides on this bike, especially with more highway miles, I'll simply pop on my Airhawk cushion for the long road sections. That cushion has never met a seat it couldn't tame for distance work, including some lightly padded 2x4 OEM seats like on my old KLR650, DR650 and DRZ400.

In my experience, everyone's butt is different and there's no way to know what works for you without trying it. Good luck in your search.

• Like 1

Thank you for the many responses. But now I am back to square one as there seems to be an equal amount of both pro & con for the stock seat as well as the replacement options. The comment from jdub53 (In my experience, everyone's butt is different and there's no way to know what works for you without trying it)  seems to be resonating with me as it sounds logical. I guess I will just have to start somewhere and hope I find what works for me before I break the bank. The good news for me is this forum has given me good food for thought and a good jumping off point. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

For me somehow the +4CM Rally seat solved all comfort problems. I still get sore after rally long days but it's no comparison to the OEM seat.

On the OEM I could barely sit on it after 2 days of riding 

The rally seat is softer and hugely improves ergonomics and feel of the bike. It doesn't become that much taller IMO. I can only recommend it. 

There are many variables to consider....

Do You Know Your Butt Shape? Get to Know the 4 Basic Butt Types

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

You have a way with words. I love it!!!🤣

Have a look at a Sergeant seat an improvement on the OEM, put a gel insert in all day comfortable. 

5 hours ago, Herman said:

Thank you for the many responses. But now I am back to square one as there seems to be an equal amount of both pro & con for the stock seat as well as the replacement options. The comment from jdub53 (In my experience, everyone's butt is different and there's no way to know what works for you without trying it)  seems to be resonating with me as it sounds logical. I guess I will just have to start somewhere and hope I find what works for me before I break the bank. The good news for me is this forum has given me good food for thought and a good jumping off point. Much appreciated.

FWIW, my most extreme experience was trying six different seats on my DR650 over two years before finding what worked well for me. I always bought used seats, and then just sold them on if they didn't work so I pretty much broke even except for the last keeper seat (a Corbin). The Sargent that I'd tried on my T7 I bought used also, and then sold it for what I'd paid when I found it wasn't going to work for me. Used aftermarket T7 seats are tougher to find though as the bike is much newer, but just a thought for you.   

For whatever it's worth, Greg Yager of RideADV in Australia has over 300,000 km experience with Teneres in his fleet. He says several of his guys keep their old stock seats when they switch to a new bike, because the seats take so long to break in. If the stock seat height works for you, you might want to stay with it a little longer.

Tried a gell insert , no difference,  funny thing is after 20  minutes off the bike my backside recovers , my old GS seemed a nice place but too soft caused back pain. My tiger 800 also seemed softer but still caused pain. Maybe it's my age😀

Ive had my sargent seat for about 20k miles and can ride on it all day. The stock seat was terrible and I tried the rally seat which was a minor improvement but made the seat height to high for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Cycling Underwear works for me 

Still on the OEM seat here, but thinking of trying the Sit&Fly seat cover I bought when I had my Suzuki DR650SE and see if it works on the T7.

Sit&Fly - seat cover -

You can also find other versions on eBay and Amazon by searching for "mesh motorcycle seat cover".

Might be a cheap option to try and see if it helps.

Found this one with a quick search on Amazon.ca, but you should be able to find one for a better price by searching around.

image.png.d980d994b1dbeb19e522238340de3973.png

The idea behind these things is better airflow helps with rider comfort.
image.png.b820505e9f70734e97d3261e76a6ff7c.png

Edited by Rocky_Mtn_T7