Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Should I go to full synthetic oil?

roygilbo

Hi, I have 30k km on my bike and have been running Motul 104068 5100 Ester 10W40 (bought off Amazon.ca). 

Motul 104068 5100 Ester 10W40 (4L) in Engine Oil.

I have almost depleted the supply I purchased and am wondering if I stick with the same oil.  

Some people have moved to full synthetic oil.  Pros and cons?  

Any other recommendations?

Many thanks.  

I've followed this through the people who are obsessed with oil and send in samples for analysis. While I don't have those results in front of me, the numeric conclusions I've read are that synthetic oil winds up leaving less metallic particulate in the oil, suggesting that it does perform better. The results with non-synthetic oil, while worse, wind up being within acceptable levels. Synthetic objectively lasts longer and tolerates higher temperatures without as much degradation. Because of all of this, and because oil (along with air and gas) are the lifeblood of the most expensive part of the bike, I spend the extra dollars on synthetic.

The need for good oil is a function of the interval between changes and how much wear your oil takes, or how hot your engine gets and for how long. That in turn depends on the climate you ride in and the style of riding you do. There seems to be a consensus that frequent oil changes with a lesser quality oil are a more worthwhile endeavor than standard interval changes with top-tier oil.

I'm not sure what the difference is in regards to the clutch, and I'm not an oilologist, so I'm sure someone could explain it all better than I can.

• Like 3

advgoats.com

I have been using Castrol Power 1 ( GPS ) for a lot of years.

Good semi synthetic oil be it is now $100 / 4 litre bottle.

That is a jump of $20 in the last couple of months.

Local franchised spares dealer is stocking Liqui-Moly at more than competitive prices.

The synthetic "street" is selling at a $75 / 4 litre so I might grab a bottle on Wednesday.

I think when it all boils down oils is oils Sol ( Aussies might get it ) and if you do regular changes I don't think it matters what you use.

I remember an oil comparison done on New York yellow cabs and after a controlled 300,000 miles there was no appreciable difference between the Walmart recycled 

and the top of the line oil.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Don't forget that the T7 power plant is more than just an engine. There's the clutch and the gears that need specific oil features.

What's good for the motor itself might be fatal for the rest. The gears undergo a specific heat treatment for hardening and the oil must meet those needs. Same with the clutch.

Listen to Yamaha and not to anybody's elses "advice".

• Like 2

All oils I use are produced specifically for motorcycles with wet clutches. 

JASO MA2 or API SN Plus

And the T7 plant is no different from a Honda AT, F800GS,..............

About the only different bike motor is a Harley Ferguson 🤣

Should use universal farm oil.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

As long as it is a Moto-specific full synthetic, you'll be fine.  Yamaha calls for at least grade SG.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I use fully synt 10W50 Motorex and Nils brands - my gearbox and engine love it, zero clutch issues. 

• Thanks 1

Fully synthetic does seem to make the bike smoother 

Mobil 1 High Milage 10W-40 at Walmart.  Its about $25 for 5 quarts.

spacer.png

Edited by Redneckj

My local main dealer (Kent) England says only 2 Yamaha models in current range require fully synthetic. That is the R1 and the MT-10. They put semi synth in all my bikes, including T7.  I queried it because the NIKEN was previously serviced by main dealer up in midlands who used fully synth. I used to have to put full synth in the KTM 950 SM. All other Japanese bikes I’ve owned went fine with 10w 40. One did 66k from new with no issues. Most of my mileage was commuting in London, so high temps, low speeds, filtering, and lots of gearbox action and hardly any touring miles. 

Where's Long Haul Paul when you need him?

• Haha 1

@mcbrien Long Haul Paul is not too picky about the oil he uses...

We all know the very old and famous story of the three wise men. They were not perfect, but their words are as relevant today as they were so many, many years ago. “Oil. Oil. Oil my jaw.” A wise, heartfelt request squeaked out by the...

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

19 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

Gotta love his comment about using cooking oil in his engine! 

150,000 miles+ on whatever oil is available shows its not important what oil you use just change it regularly.

@mcbrien It is odd that the USA owners manual says to change the oil every 4,000 miles and the European owners manual says to change it every 6,000 miles... weird!

It took me many years to start changing the oil filter every other time, just as the owners manual suggested. 

When my buddies start ragging on me for not "taking care" of my motorcycle, all I have to do is ask them when was the last time they flushed their brake fluid or changed their antifreeze or greased their swing-arm... it shuts up 90% of them!

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~