Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

First longer ride today- gravel question

On 3/13/2024 at 11:29 AM, jdub53 said:

20240313_135202.jpg.58bed29328f5debe0e85712748a227d4.jpg 

Damn!  I wish I had an extra set of wheels to spoon these on to for mostly off-road forays.

I'm digging the stock tires on the highway though.  Once worn out, the above tires are my replacement choice.

Same. I'm going to order some Anakee Wilds this month while the sale is going.  I'll wear these STR's down some more, they are really nice on the road.  

I looked at a second set of rims, but $2k? No thanks.

I love Michelin tires though.  Most local riders to me are running the Tusk tires, but I just don't like the idea of Chinese tires.  Tank bag, sure. But the only thing keeping me upright on the road? I don't think so.

• Like 2

@zimm are you referring to the Tusk 2Track or Dsport tires?

1 hour ago, Hollybrook said:

@zimm are you referring to the Tusk 2Track or Dsport tires?

Yes. Lol. I don’t know, whichever ones are super knobby. 

They both are. 2Track are the new 80/20 ADV tires and Dsports are more for dual sport.

2 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

They both are. 2Track are the new 80/20 ADV tires and Dsports are more for dual sport.

Looking at the pics, I'd say the other T7 had the Dsports. He did say they're super loud on the road.  

I like railing around corners too much to get that much of a knobby. That's why I think the Michlins will work for me. Still a 50/50 but much more knobby than the STRs.  I just want a little more bite in the gravel.

@zimm Some of the tires like Motoz are pretty good on the twisties.  There are a couple of folks on this site that run them and have no issues dragging pegs in the corners.  I enjoy trying to keep up with them!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hollybrook said:

@zimm Some of the tires like Motoz are pretty good on the twisties.  There are a couple of folks on this site that run them and have no issues dragging pegs in the corners.  I enjoy trying to keep up with them!

Good point. I'm okay with Thailand, been there a few times and it's a great country. And most everybody rides a 150cc scooter, lots of motos there.  I'll look into those too.

Been avoiding looking at the Tusk tires because I can't have them, but I finally broke down. $58 for a front and $130 for a 150/70 is ridiculous. Wish they had come out with these a few years ago!

advgoats.com

random1781, Where can i get those tires for those prices? Thanks

I have motoz tractionator adv on the front and they are a little squirly in the rain grooves at over 45-50 mph. I havent gotten a chance to ride my new to me tenere700 enough to know what is better but might want to try a diff front?

21 minutes ago, eyeguy said:

random1781, Where can i get those tires for those prices? Thanks

I have motoz tractionator adv on the front and they are a little squirly in the rain grooves at over 45-50 mph. I havent gotten a chance to ride my new to me tenere700 enough to know what is better but might want to try a diff front?

Tusk is the in-house brand of Rocky Mountain . Their reputation is making cheap knock-offs of popular products, so keep that in mind. I'm not sure what their range of tires is, but the ones that were mentioned here (2track and dsport) are pretty knobby, so if you're looking for rain performance those probably won't be great. These are good options if you want to be stupid on dirt since they're so cheap.

I normally baby the rear Rallz that I use to get 6-7k miles out of it, but going all out I'm looking at more like 3-4k. A tire at half price would be great, even if it gets half the mileage.

advgoats.com

On 3/12/2024 at 11:55 PM, zimm said:

I've been riding on and off for 27 years. Mostly sporty street bikes or enduro bikes. This is my first ADV bike.  I'm 3 rides and 150 miles in on an even split of 2 lane paved and dirt roads.  I have some questions on what to expect in gravel.

Pavement- this bike is a beast.  Handles like a tall sport standard to me. Haven't got the tires to slip yet.  Super happy with cornering.

Packed dirt roads- I'm in 4th and 5th gear on packed dirt roads and the bike rides like it's on rails.  The bike only acted up going around uphill corners on the throttle where the road was washboard and the back end chattered a lot. Not sure what is up with that.

Dirt road had a few miles of loosely laid down very large gravel- the bike was like it was on ice. Not good. Standing up helped. I'm wondering if the STR tires are to blame, or I don't know how to ride in gravel.

I'm starting to suspect I may want a 50/50 tire in my near future.

What tire pressures?
I went down to 1bar (15PSI) with Pirelli Rally STR. Could tackle even technical root-uphills. Was actually very surprised the STR can achieve that. STR's are not made for moist dirt roads so much. Going in mud or wet, grassy, forresty stuff, that is where I felt I am on ice.
Pirelli Rally are not bad tires at all. The STR's are the Street version. Most noticebale difference is the front tire. The rear blocks are also spaced differently. Pirelli Rally did pretty well even in Tunisia Desert. 

Edited by The Pineaaple

I bought one of the Tusk 2Track rear tires for an extended trip this summer, but went for the Motoz Dual Venture for the front because I can reverse it when it gets cupped.  My experience with the Dual Venture has been very good, both on road and off. 

I've been hoping that one of the reviewers will post a long term wear review of the 2Track, but nothing has surfaced so far.

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 1

Well the Tusk 2Track's rears are out of stock. They said they'd get more in a month.  They do have awesome reviews too.  For $200, might be worth a shot.

@zimm the 2Track rears are $129 +tax shipped to your door - a deal I couldn't refuse!  🤣

• Like 1

Soft hands and giver, it a bit disconcerting as the bike moves around under you, but as long as its just floating all is good.  Many different types of gravel but a lot of loose stuff can be done in this matter if straight and flat. The bike will tell you whe shes on her way to a tank slapper, we just have to listen... and no I havent always heard her in time 🙃 Ride safe

• 3 weeks later...

Tires will do wonder, personally with stock tires and high tire pressure the bike would sway side to side on a freshly graded road but I would still be able to got as fast at 100km/h or 62mph... body position will affect that too move your weight towards the front for better control.