Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Android Auto / Apple Car Play

SXXP

First, credit to this gentleman....I got motivated after seeing the below vid on YouTube:

So, went out and picked up the following:

Carpuride W502 Motorcycle GPS Wireless Portable Apple Carplay/Android Auto Waterproof Car Stereo, 5" IPS Touch Screen with Dual Bluetooth, Navigation/Siri/Google Assistant for Motorbike https://a.co/d/dnvZu0x

BRCOVAN Aluminum Alloy Mini Mount Base with 1'' TPU Ball for Rails Diameter 0.39'' 0.47'' 0.55'' 0.63'', Compatible with RAM Mounts B Size 1 Inch Ball Socket Arm https://a.co/d/0BqCOkB

RAM Mounts RAP-B-201U-A Composite Double Socket Arm - Short Arm Compatible with B Size 1" Ball Components

Installed the set up today.  Pics below:

PXL_20240318_005641860.jpg.022c605873587907bfbd790d9131e073.jpgPXL_20240318_014050348_MP.jpg.ae065ab051f1152efb4aa866cd07f5c2.jpgPXL_20240318_014058536.jpg.1b4a66ade08a3c81f4af2afbc135630a.jpgPXL_20240318_014105299.jpg.228bac161df836bb7516990323ab4a04.jpgPXL_20240318_014404071.jpg.5f1844b41ea68b8aec363cace72ade65.jpgPXL_20240318_014546463.jpg.960dcb5d1cf50d423a929fa76ac88008.jpgPXL_20240318_014621732.jpg.b403dafabcb284499ec9910061a9426e.jpg

Works for the most part and it's nice to have your GPS front and center.  I'm having issues getting my helmet BT communicator to play nice with the Carpuride unit but I'll figure it out.

Edited by SXXP
Corrections
  • Like 2

Are you trying to pair your headset to the carpuride?

advgoats.com

Yes, phone, Carpuride, headset.

Phone to Carpuride - Works

Phone to headset (with Carpuride offline) - works!

Phone to Carpuride to headset - No joy (sound)!

It's generally better to use your phone as the hub and connect all devices to it rather than to daisy chain devices. I know with Android under the Bluetooth settings, you can control which device receives audio, and imagine iPhones have something similar. It's best to disable audio to your carpuride and enable it to the headset.

This way your phone will have a connection to your headset for audio and a connection to the carpuride for control, so you can skip songs, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

advgoats.com

I must be a bit of a Luddite but I would rather stick pins in my eyes than be constantly connected to my phone.

When I am out riding I don't want phone calls, messages, music, emails etc.

Same in the car.

I have a charging cable in the car but as soon as I use it Ford's android auto kicks in with all sorts of Shet on the touch screen.

I have to fiddle around just to get back to the radio screen.

That's why I use a Garmin 700 with a 650 for back up.

Just me and aren't we lucky we are all individuals.

• Like 7

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

On 3/17/2024 at 11:06 PM, random1781 said:

It's generally better to use your phone as the hub and connect all devices to it rather than to daisy chain devices. I know with Android under the Bluetooth settings, you can control which device receives audio, and imagine iPhones have something similar. It's best to disable audio to your carpuride and enable it to the headset.

This way your phone will have a connection to your headset for audio and a connection to the carpuride for control, so you can skip songs, etc.

No joy on the sound after messing with all  the BT settings on my phone for both the Carpuride and helmet communicator.  Sound/music plays just fine , but as soon as Android Auto establishes a connection and the default GPS screen pops up, the sound gets cut off.  The track being played continues to display and count down on the Carpuride screen, just no sound in the helmet.  I've reached out to Carpuride, but crickets so far! 

8 minutes ago, SXXP said:

No joy on the sound after messing with all  the BT settings on my phone for both the Carpuride and helmet communicator.  Sound/music plays just fine , but as soon as Android Auto establishes a connection and the default GPS screen pops up, the sound gets cut off.  The track being played continues to display and count down on the Carpuride screen, just no sound in the helmet.  I've reached out to Carpuride, but crickets so far! 

I wonder if  Android Auto is doing something funky with audio routing. What headset are you using?

advgoats.com

1 hour ago, random1781 said:

I wonder if  Android Auto is doing something funky with audio routing. What headset are you using?

You double downed on the Chinese products! Let us know if you get it figured out.

advgoats.com

I figured they would at least talk to each other🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, random1781 said:

You double downed on the Chinese products! Let us know if you get it figured out.

Figured it out...I'm an idiot!  Works well and for a low budget system the sound quality is surprisingly good.  

Now to take down my negative review on Amazon!

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Lewie said:

And the problem?

Can't read directions....😕 

The default "Sound Output" was set to  the Carpuride itself.  I probably stared at that screen multiple time and never caught it😬.   Changed it to the the helmet headset and all was good.

Fiddling with the equalizer feature on the Carpuride really ups the quality of the sound (music) going to the helmet - way better than direct phone to helmet.  I  was very pleasantly surprised at the quality/difference in sound once I got it to work.

So, first impressions for my very first helmet communication system is very positive (user error aside)!  For a budget system ($239 Carpuride head  unit + $80 Martian helmet communication system) giving you all the Android Auto/Apple Carplay functionality I'm quite happy.  Of course, how it holds up long term, only time will tell....fingers crossed!  

Regrets?  Maybe not going with the 7" version for not a whole lot more money.  Bigger is better, right 🥴?

Edited by SXXP
  • Like 1

When I had my cardo- Zumo and iPhone I couldn’t get the intercom to work reliably so I stopped the cardo taling to the Zumo 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Decided the 5" screen was too small, and returned/exchanged it for the 7" version :

Buy Carpuride W702 for Motorcycle, 7 inch Waterproof Touchscreen, Portable Apple Carplay/Android Auto GPS Navigation for Motorbike, Support Dual Bluetooth, Car GPS, Siri, Google Assistant, TF-64G: Car Stereo...

About 20 bucks more.  Much better!

PXL_20240330_054446456.jpg

PXL_20240330_054546743.jpg

Edited by SXXP
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, SXXP said:

Decided the 5" screen was too small, and returned/exchanged it for the 7" version :

Buy Carpuride W702 for Motorcycle, 7 inch Waterproof Touchscreen, Portable Apple Carplay/Android Auto GPS Navigation for Motorbike, Support Dual Bluetooth, Car GPS, Siri, Google Assistant, TF-64G: Car Stereo...

About 20 bucks more.  Much better!

PXL_20240330_054446456.jpg

PXL_20240330_054546743.jpg

Every inch matters!

advgoats.com

9 minutes ago, random1781 said:

Every inch matters!

🥴

• Haha 1

When you're running Android Auto/Apple Play, how bad does it deplete your phone battery? My understanding is your phone is kinda the master/controller and the display is relatively dumb

In the short duration rides that I have done so far, I haven't really had cause for concern.. But then again, I now have all kinds of power sources added to the bike so I can keep the phone charging while riding.  I'll test out your concern on a day ride soon and report back.