Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Thoughts on this gear setup

syntarx

Just now, syntarx said:

Thanks a lot for your breakdown! What abrasion resistant layer do you wear when it's hot? From what've understood, you have your abrasion resistance in your outer jacket, the Basilisk/Component. Isn't that way too hot being the rain layer?

What is the alternative to padded shorts? Do the woodlands have integrated hip protectors?

Regarding the boots, I've heard a lot of good things about the Gaerne and will probably go for these if they fit my feet. Will definitely look into the Black Diamond Gloves.

One last question: What shoes do you use to walk around the city or in the camp, if you use any?

The elbow pads I have are pretty big and cover most of the forearm. I'm almost always wearing a backpack, so I'm not worried about my back. I'm also rarely blasting down paved roads for a long time, so I'm not overly concerned about abrasion, but the Basilisk vents really well for the times that I am.

No hip armor. I've crashed a good bit and hip armor has never really done anything for me. Head, hands, feet, knees, elbows is my general order of importance for protection. But that all depends on how you ride. Basically unless I go superman down the road, I feel pretty well covered. I mention considering what you need and will use because you can quickly overburden yourself with a ton of gear for every possible situation. I had knee braces for a while (albeit cheaper ones), and they would get so uncomfortable wearing them every single day that I wouldn't use them half the time. You want to take a break and air out? Those braces are staying on unless you take your boots and pants off! Now I have good slip-on knee armor that is really comfortable, works for the majority of situations, and I almost always wear.

I did recently get a used, barely-functioning, 360 degree coverage chest guard that I intended to use just for a rally, but I was surprised at how comfortable it was and wound up using it until it finally died. I think it was an older version of the Fox Proframe. Because it felt good and actually provided more support for my backpack, I'm looking for another one. Honestly if you're really concerned about a lot of protection, this might be something to look into. When I had to wear it, Basilisk fitment over the armor was excellent.

I just have the Woodsman and one pair of normal pants for walking around, but the Woodsman is really comfortable, so I can use those all day.

• Like 1

advgoats.com

3 minutes ago, random1781 said:

The elbow pads I have are pretty big and cover most of the forearm. I'm almost always wearing a backpack, so I'm not worried about my back. I'm also rarely blasting down paved roads for a long time, so I'm not overly concerned about abrasion, but the Basilisk vents really well for the times that I am.

No hip armor. I've crashed a good bit and hip armor has never really done anything for me. Head, hands, feet, knees, elbows is my general order of importance for protection. But that all depends on how you ride. Basically unless I go superman down the road, I feel pretty well covered. I mention considering what you need and will use because you can quickly overburden yourself with a ton of gear for every possible situation. I had knee braces for a while (albeit cheaper ones), and they would get so uncomfortable wearing them every single day that I wouldn't use them half the time. You want to take a break and air out? Those braces are staying on unless you take your boots and pants off! Now I have good slip-on knee armor that is really comfortable, works for the majority of situations, and I almost always wear.

I did recently get a used, barely-functioning, 360 degree coverage chest guard that I intended to use just for a rally, but I was surprised at how comfortable it was and wound up using it until it finally died. I think it was an older version of the Fox Proframe. Because it felt good and actually provided more support for my backpack, I'm looking for another one. Honestly if you're really concerned about a lot of protection, this might be something to look into. When I had to wear it, Basilisk fitment over the armor was excellent.

I just have the Woodsman and one pair of normal pants for walking around, but the Woodsman is really comfortable, so I can use those all day.

Perfect. Thanks again!

After doing a budget, I realized that I have to go easy on getting new stuff. Especially things like expensive armor and jackets. Will probably get as much stuff on the used market as possible. I ride in Central Europe a lot which means quite a lot of highway kms, I guess I have to take abrasion resistance more seriously.

• Like 1

Has been updated with the newest feedback and some cost-cutting options.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, syntarx said:

Perfect. Thanks again!

After doing a budget, I realized that I have to go easy on getting new stuff. Especially things like expensive armor and jackets. Will probably get as much stuff on the used market as possible. I ride in Central Europe a lot which means quite a lot of highway kms, I guess I have to take abrasion resistance more seriously.

Exactly...like bike setups, gear combos are unique, so there's no correct answer. Figuring out what works for you is hard mostly because of the cost. If you can, look for tattered free stuff so you can try different setups and see what style works for you, then you can go on and look for better stuff.

Keep in mind the limitations of gear also. I used to wear Shoei helmets and Rev'it gloves, but the cost and old tech of the Shoei and the cost and lack of durability of Rev'it gloves recently led me to LS2 helmets and rappelling gloves. It's a tradeoff of sorts, but this combo suits me much better.

• Like 1

advgoats.com

Posted (edited)

Updated to the newest findings.

Final choices are now bold.

Questions are now quoted

It's still a lot of money, but I think I was able to reduce it by at least a quarter, if not a third. Also, my decisions are finalizing and I have the products in my cart. Rev'it has such a good Dirt lineup, and it might turn out beneficial to have all clothing from one brand.

Edited by syntarx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, syntarx said:

Updated to the newest findings.

Final choices are now bold.

It's still a lot of money, but I think I was able to reduce it by at least a quarter, if not a third. Also, my decisions are finalizing and I have the products in my cart. Rev'it has such a good Dirt lineup, and it might turn out beneficial to have all clothing from one brand.

It's cool to see your thought process over time as you figure it all out!

• Like 1

advgoats.com

6 hours ago, random1781 said:

It's cool to see your thought process over time as you figure it all out!

Thank you so much! That's actually such nice feedback. I do hope my process can help some other new riders one day.

I did place the order now. Had to order the helmet and the jacket without trying them on before, cause of supply chain issues. The X4 is almost out of stock and being replaced by the X5 everywhere, and I really had to get one. Given that I already own an Arai size L helmet, it should fit like a glove.

I do have some open questions:

Do the 100% Barstow work with glasses? ... and with the Arai X4?

Whats your opinion on the Sidi Crossfire 3's?

Do you guys think elbow armor is a must? I have knee pads, a 360° torso protector and some hip protection. I'm quite confused about armor, after watching Ryan F9's video.

You should check out the Rev'it Nucleus. It's a protective shirt/jacket with alle the protection you need (elbow/shoulder/back/chest and even ribs). Flows a ton of air and has CE AA abrasion resistance. With the Nucleus you would only need a wind/isolation mid/top layer for when it's colder and a simpel rain jacket. 

I'm seriously considering adding the Nucleus to my gear if only I hadn't just bought the Rev'It Offtrack 2 jacket/pants. Those are awesome for the price, but in over 30 degrees still too hot for me. One advantage would be that the midlayer (wind/insulation, underneath) and rain jacket (overtop) that come with the Offtrack can be perfectly combined with the Nucleus.

My gear for reference:

Arai Tour X5

Rev'It Offtrack 2 jacket

Rev'It Offtrack 2 pants (for commuting)

Rev'It Peninsula pants (in the boot)

Rev'It SCRAM knee braces

Gearne Dakar Gore-tex boots

Rev'It Dirt gloves

And a terrible picture

IMG_0294.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forza said:

You should check out the Rev'it Nucleus

This might be an update for the future. Thanks for the recommendation. This means you would definitely recommend elbow pads?

1 hour ago, Forza said:

Arai Tour X5

How do you like it so far? Have you had the X4 before? If yes, how does it compare?

1 hour ago, Forza said:

over 30 degrees still too hot for me.

I got the Terrain and the Sierra for the hot weather.

I tried to order the best products for my layering interpretation. All the gear I now ordered has abrasion resistance and very limited in-built armor (because I wanna wear these as separate pieces). But only time will tell. And I should be ready for the colder and wetter climate in Norway this summer and for the hotter weather in Morocco next year. Also, I believe both kits are quite light, meaning I can bring both for the Europa → Australia trip in 2025.

I would never ride without elbow protection (although I've never actually put a bike down, knock on wood). The Nucleus is basically a full protector vest with abrasion resistance as a bonus, so Proteus (or the RockFlight) + Sierra. Which is the minimum I would ride with, you can layer whatever you want underneath or overtop.

The Arai is great, excellent comfort and visibility. I do notice the peak when looking to the side, but it's nowhere near as intrusive as I expected. The peak also has a very slight whistle when facing directly to the front. With a very slight angle it's gone. My previous helmet was a HJC RPHA 70 (I went from a KTM 890 Duke to the Tenere) which is slightly quieter but Arai has way better visibility and ventilation (I always ride with ear plugs btw).

• Like 1

After a helmet and boots, I would focus on elbow, knee and hand protection, along with abrasion protection on road. 

After 50+ years of riding, I've crashed thousands of times on dirt and three times on the street. I had no safety gear the first time (as an invincible teenager 😳) and had serious road rash on my knees, hands and elbows.  The worst "street" crash I've had was on the T700 on hard packed dirt with embedded gravel - think very rough grit sandpaper.  I was wearing Klim Carlsbad jacket and pants, and they were barely scuffed. The D30 level 2 armor did a great job of protecting me.  I had some large bruises in the areas that the armor did not conver, but none under the armor. 

If you ride much offroad, you will go down at some point.  Dress to crash, not to ride...

If you are interested, here is an analysis of my crash and how my gear performed: 

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/4127-crash-report-post-up-your-crash-damage/?do=findComment&comment=72965

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

After a helmet and boots, I would focus on elbow, knee and hand protection, along with abrasion protection on road. 

After 50+ years of riding, I've crashed thousands of times on dirt and three times on the street. I had no safety gear the first time (as an invincible teenager 😳) and had serious road rash on my knees, hands and elbows.  The worst "street" crash I've had was on the T700 on hard packed dirt with embedded gravel - think very rough grit sandpaper.  I was wearing Klim Carlsbad jacket and pants, and they were barely scuffed. The D30 level 2 armor did a great job of protecting me.  I had some large bruises in the areas that the armor did not conver, but none under the armor. 

If you ride much offroad, you will go down at some point.  Dress to crash, not to ride...

If you are interested, here is an analysis of my crash and how my gear performed: 

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/4127-crash-report-post-up-your-crash-damage/?do=findComment&comment=72965

Thanks for the reply. Even though I'm still almost a teenager and have written about my tendency for "stupid" ideas before, I do always dress for the slide, not the ride. That's a non-negotiable for me. Helmet, boots, abrasion resistance are my top priorities. I bought a 360° torso protector and knee pads on the used market now. I just wasn't so sure about the importance of elbow pads. I as a mountain biker, never wear these, they limit my movement by a lot. But after hearing your advice and reading your crash report, I will probably get some ... on the used market.

• Like 2