Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Where to buy consumables such as bearings?

RickyGee

Hi All,

About to embark on a 15,000 mile trip and am keen to replace perishables such as steering bearings, wheels bearings etc ect. I usually use WeBike for my xt660z but they don't seem to stock any of the Tenere products (going off their item codes from the parts catalogue).

I find buying parts via a dealer prohibitively expensive, where are people sourcing their parts?

Cheers,

Richard

Hi RickyGee, 

I am a particular fan of sourcing parts such as you describe the old school way, from industrial warehouses. They are cheaper and hardly manufactured by the company who made your bike or car or whatever.  The one point though is, you have to take out the part and look for the id numbers on it. Say on headstock bearings, the flat of the inner race. Personally, I've never experienced steering bearings as something as needing replacement, ever. YMMV. However, wheel bearings can be another story, but even then I've never had a wheel bearing go bad.  Regardless, if you pull them out and bring them to a bearing supply shop or give them the numbers  you should be good to go. Good luck on your trip!

Best, 

Budo 

I had a rear wheel bearing on my T7 fail (semi collapse) at around 18,000km. Discovered it soon after purchasing the bike 2nd hand. Some online research revealed a few other people had same issue at about the same mileage, & also the same bearing (non-drive side?). maybe a bad batch of bearings?

For the wheel  bearings I removed the old bearings & seals & took them to a bearing supply shop - they had all bearings in stock but had to order in some seals - took two days so no big deal.

I inspected the rear suspension linkage bearings when I pulled the shock for a service  - found some wear so decided to change them all out. Local Yamaha dealer quoted 6 weeks supply & $600!! I ended up ordering them online from 'Off the Road' in Denmark, who had them all listed as in stock. Delivery to Australia took about a week / 10 days (from memory) & total cost (including freight / currency conversion / etc) was approx 50% of local quote.

I havent inspected the steering head bearings but will do so when I pull the forks for service (I ordered these bearings at same time as the rear linkage bearings so have them waiting on the shelf). 

I tend to replace the wheel (& cush drive) bearings when I buy 2nd hand bikes - sort of part of the 1st service- cheap & easy & that way I know the history of wheel bearings / oil & filter / coolant / etc. I do the work myself so only cost is parts / consumables. Maybe not always needed, but I work in maintenance / reliability engineering so it's in my blood so to speak... 🙂

• Like 1

From the german T7 forum w/o guarantee. Hint: extremely important is the 2RS form.

It stands for the slack of the bearing in cold condition. When the bike rolls the bearings get warm and the slack disappears. If it's not 2RS the balls  will get too tight in the bearing and the next damage ist forseeable.

Bearings&Seals.jpg

@Petefix Off The Road is a german shop.

Edited by Ede-DE

1 hour ago, Ede-DE said:

From the german T7 forum w/o guarantee. Hint: extremely important is the 2RS form.

It stands for the slack of the bearing in cold condition. When the bike rolls the bearings get warm and the slack disappears. If it's not 2RS the balls  will get too tight in the bearing and the next damage ist forseeable.

Bearings&Seals.jpg

@Petefix Off The Road is a german shop.

The 2RS is a suffix code that just indicates the bearing comes with 2 rubber seals.(2Rs). It has nothing to do with the bearing clearances.   

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the correction re the location of Off the Road - has been a few years! 🙂

Posted (edited)

Thanks for your feedback everyone. I've ended up buying in a front and rear kit from Off the Road.

Might wait to see what the state of the linkage is before ordering bearings for that (pretty keen to just walk them into a shop as @Budo described). For context I've bought a T7 in the UK to ride to Mongolia (currently in New Zealand) so keen to get her in good shape before departing but would rather not throw money at the wall if I can help it.

Bit of a shame that WeMoto or Fowlers don't stock the T7 bits, let's hope they get onto it. Surely there's tones of riders wanting a cheaper supply 😉.

Edited by RickyGee

wemoto.com.au show stock of a lot of parts.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

22 hours ago, williestreet said:

The 2RS is a suffix code that just indicates the bearing comes with 2 rubber seals.(2Rs). It has nothing to do with the bearing clearances.   

Sorry for the disinformation. I mixed it up with C2 bearings (on my BMW G650Xcountry) 🤨

On 3/24/2024 at 10:52 PM, RickyGee said:

Thanks for your feedback everyone. I've ended up buying in a front and rear kit from Off the Road.

Might wait to see what the state of the linkage is before ordering bearings for that (pretty keen to just walk them into a shop as @Budo described). For context I've bought a T7 in the UK to ride to Mongolia (currently in New Zealand) so keen to get her in good shape before departing but would rather not throw money at the wall if I can help it.

Bit of a shame that WeMoto or Fowlers don't stock the T7 bits, let's hope they get onto it. Surely there's tones of riders wanting a cheaper supply 😉.

Fowlers do stock t7 parts bud. Bearings are in stock. Whether they ship to your place is another thing.