Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Custom wide dash / tower and lights

Claudius

Hey! I spent a lot of time looking for a solution to accommodate all the gear I needed on the front of the bike and the solution I found on the market was not exactly reliable or not crazy expensive. In the end, I start as a winter project to build my own custom configuration. 

As main goals had in mind were:

- using both phone and GPS/Tablet for navigation because on various travel and events I'm involved I need both of them.

- enough charging ports for action cams 

- vibration reduction of the front of the bike - the way the OEM headlight is vibrating with the entire fiberglass front structure including the 12 mm GPS bar on offroad and long gravel road trips is getting me crazy 

- additional spots and LED bar easy to accommodate based on needs.

- better wind protection - here I was saved by the new GYTR windscreen released recently.

- street legal lights configuration - that forced me to not go for some spectacular looking lights but ...

This is almost the last stage of the tower, last one is in production right now.

IMG_3111.JPG

IMG_3112.JPG

DSC_0060_1.JPG

DSC_0050_1.JPG

IMG_3144.JPG

Edited by Claudius
  • Like 6

Far out - very nice.

This looks absolutely stunning. Good job!!

What is the weight on this compared to stock?

Will you sell the planes or go in production with it at some point?

After the first test round with an improvised electrical installation, I realized the upper part of the tower was not needed cause the connection between the tower and the fiberglass structure made the last one super stable.

Made some simplifications and small adjustments and sent the new version to production. 

I'm still testing a configuration with 2 spotlights always on the bike and the LED bar to be attached on the events and trips really really need it, but in any case, not using additional switches on the handlebar. Found some very helpful topics on this forum. Still thinking about using the 90mm Hela LED high beam light for another version and maybe no LED bar.

Working now on the final, nice and clean, electrical installation using the OEM headlight connector and rerouting all the cables for lights and accessories inside the tower so everything remains clear, nice fuse box for all accessories and all necessary relays to be hidden and well protected.

Right now with wide dashboard, offset GPS bracket mounted on the 12mm bar, and Hela lights (I would like to use some other good-looking lights but I need to remain street-legal for the long rides) I'm under the weight of the OEM headlight, no vibrations and an open configuration for other accessories.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, syntarx said:

Tower, wide dashboard , lights, USB and poser socket  2.8 kilograms versus 2.9 of the original OEM headlight .... and super strong

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, syntarx said:

For sure I don't want to keep it just for me. In a week's time, I'll have the last version on the bike and get out for testing. After that, with the risk of upsetting some guys, I would think about a way for others to have access to these configurations at a decent price and for me to be able to work and do more upgrades on my Tenere.

• Like 1

Just now, Claudius said:

For sure I don't want to keep it just for me. In a week's time, I'll have the last version on the bike and get out for testing. After that, with the risk of upsetting some guys, I would think about a way for others to have access to these configurations at a decent price and for me to be able to work and do more upgrades on my Tenere.

Sounds great! The thought of changing up the front has crossed my mind before, but there are so many more import changes I need to do first. And I don't even know if this would be legal here. But I will follow your production and testing with great interest for now 🙂

• Like 1

Impressive!  A work of art!

Super cool - an amazing amount of work went into that.  I love the red accents with the washers/spacers.  That's now one mean looking front end....grrrr!