Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Axle alignment tool

Alan M

Weather is terrible in Scotland at the moment, not much fun riding the T7.

Off work and bored so made this wee alignment tool today. Basically a turned down alloy bar with a removable 20mm tapered bullet. It works like a charm and makes axle fitting easier.

I change wheels out quite regular, road/off road, probably not really an issue for most.IMG_5977.jpeg.7488a15ad22c39ead2548b3490f6226e.jpeg

• Like 1

It centers the wheel so the axle slides in easier?

6 hours ago, mcbrien said:

It centers the wheel so the axle slides in easier?

Yeah, the thin rod end slides through keeping everything together, then you just tap the axle through and the bullet section centres for the axle to pass through easily.

As I said, probably not a biggie for most but handy if you’re regularly swapping wheels. 

It is a pita to align wheel and insert axle all by yourself. Its a good idea👍

I roll the wheel up the toe of my boot to get it to the right height then curse myself because the axle is sitting on the garage floor just out of reach. I’m digging these good ideas!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I saw these air bag setups at Home Depot and couldn't think of anything I could use them for.

Have to go back and check them out.

Posted (edited)

Axles always seem to be just out of reach 😁.

Good tip with the axle, especially out in the dirt is to stick it in the exhaust instead of on the ground. Keeps the crap off it and easy to hand.

Edited by Alan M
  • Like 1

I have an inflatable bag I bought at Harbor Freight. It works really well.

• 3 weeks later...

Reverse the direction of the axle ( i.e. the nut is on the brake disc side) to make it easier to undo out on the trail.

• Like 2