Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What is the best chain guide for the T7?

Tore

The OEM: 

Very strong chain guide for the Yamaha Tenere 700   The chain guide for Tenere is perfect for protecting the chain whilst riding off-road.…

The Acerbis: 

Or someone else?

What do you recommend guys?

I have the Yamaha one. No complaints.

• Like 2

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

Acerbis.

It has the added advantage the bottom plate is replaceable.

It also helps greatly when removing or replacing the wheel.

When I bought my T7 in March '20 there wasn't any OEM guides in Oz.

I bought the Acerbis and fabricated my own adapter.

A few months later Acerbis were making them specifically for the T7

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

I've got the Acerbis (the T7 one) and no complaints. But I also don't have a comparison with the OEM one 😉 

I’m happy with the acerbis but haven’t used the Yamaha job. 

If you go with the Acerbis, I recommend that you put anti sieze on the screws for the bottom plate. I used blue locktite and all the captive sleeves spun out of the body the first time I tried to remove the bottom plate. 

I have the Rocky Mountain house brand on my T7:

Shop for Drive, like Primary Drive Rear Chain Guide at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. We have the best prices on dirt bike, atv and motorcycle parts, apparel and accessories and offer excellent customer service.

Can't vouch for it's effectiveness on the T7 yet as I've not had it out in the dirt yet, but I do have one on my WR450 and it's taken a beating and held up well.

Dunno if it would be worth the extra postage to get it out to you though!

Edited by SXXP

3 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

If you go with the Acerbis, I recommend that you put anti sieze on the screws for the bottom plate. I used blue locktite and all the captive sleeves spun out of the body the first time I tried to remove the bottom plate. 

That's cause the removable bottom plate is only to facilitate the initial install without having to break the chain to put it on. 

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I have no intentions of ever trying to remove the bottom plate on mine. I'm guessing I'd get the same result you did.  🙂

I removed mine to see how much effect it had on chain tension. And wished I didn't! 🤣

After that and others reports on seized inserts on the Acerbis fuel tank, I also put anti seize on them as well.  

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 1