Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Yamaha Heated Grips Plug, what is it? Where is it?

Tazmool

Question

• Premium Member

Greetings Everyone, 

I'm looking for info on the heated grip plug that is on the Tenere 700, (the plug where the yamaha oem heated grips plug into the tenere 700 oem wiring harness) 

What type of plug connector is it?   (type, male, female) 
Where is it? 
And does anyone have any good clear photos of it? 

As I understand, this is the heated grips adapter cable from Yamaha:
spacer.png

Which end plugs into the bike oem harness?  and which end plugs into the yamaha heated grips cable?  
And, what type of connectors are they?  (model, and maybe where I could order one)
I'm looking to make an aftermarket set of heated grips, plug directly into the tenere 700 wiring harness (using the same plugs that the yamaha oem heated grips use, so its a plug-n-play install)

Thanks in Advance!

Tazmool

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Tazmool said:

Greetings Everyone, 

I'm looking for info on the heated grip plug that is on the Tenere 700, (the plug where the yamaha oem heated grips plug into the tenere 700 oem wiring harness) 

What type of plug connector is it?   (type, male, female) 
Where is it? 
And does anyone have any good clear photos of it? 

As I understand, this is the heated grips adapter cable from Yamaha:
spacer.png

Which end plugs into the bike oem harness?  and which end plugs into the yamaha heated grips cable?  
And, what type of connectors are they?  (model, and maybe where I could order one)
I'm looking to make an aftermarket set of heated grips, plug directly into the tenere 700 wiring harness (using the same plugs that the yamaha oem heated grips use, so its a plug-n-play install)

Thanks in Advance!

Tazmool

You should find all answers to your questions in the topic below.

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/416-yamaha-heated-grips-not-as-good-as-oxford-or-are-they/page/2/#comments

The white end of the cable (in the picture) goes to the bike harness. The type in this picture is: Sumitomo mt2.

But the bike has a Sumitomo mt3 connector. So this picture in the Yamaha catalog is for illustration purposes only. Don't know the name or type of the black connector. Mt2 has two wires in it and Mt3 has three wires.

The connectors are located behind front left and front right panels. There are one Sumitomo mt3 connector and one other connector (don't know the type, it's not either one of those in your picture).  Both supply power only when the bike is running. The Sumitomo connector is behind a 10A fuse and the other behind a 2A fuse. The bike has male mt3 connectors. So You must get female ones. You can get them from eBay or from your local electrical shop. Remember so order/buy some extra pins.

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

• Premium Member

Ok, 

I read the other post, and watched the video, great info. 
I believe the connector I need is actually the male one, the female end is on the bike.  I know it looks counterintuitive as the actual plastic housing looks female, but the connectors inside are actually male, making the connector "male" 

I ordered two sets from two different sources, lets see which one arrives 1st, and the quality difference.

One set is from eBay, direct from china, I wonder if it will ever arrive, and how it will work out. 

The other set is direct from Japan, from a little company called EasternBeaver  (www.esternbeaver.com

I have dealt with them before, excellent quality and service, but its been a very, very long time since I've ordered from there. 

Cost wise, it was about the same, however from Japan, its a single connector, and from China its a 5 pack. 

Will report my findings when they arrive!

Tazmool

CycleTerminal.com is another good source for high quality Japanese connectors.  Just an FYI. 

I've been very happy with both Eastern Beaver and Cycle Terminal.  Just about every connector and terminal I've gotten off Ebay and Amazon have been cheap thin plastic and thin plated tin.  Not items I'd trust on a bike getting tossed around in remote places.

• Like 1