Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Cyclops Tuff Light Full Flex Signals

prowlnS10

Cyclops Tuff Light Full Flex Turn Signals 

Cyclops Adventure Sports acquired Extreme Dual Sports & Tuff Lights in 2023, renowned as the original nearly unbreakable blinker & completely updated the LED function & operation creating what Cyclops promotes as the most robust, water & impact resistant signals for adventure & dual sport bikes. They sent me one of the early production ready signals to replace my existing Cyclops Multifunction 3.0 units which had experienced reliability issues because of manufacturing issues outside their control & are now discontinued. Owner Darryl VanNieuwenhuise & team Cyclops have set the bar extremely high for product performance, quality & customer service/support as demonstrated by them not only replacing my faulty Multifunction 3.0 signals last summer to tie me over for the riding season until they were production ready with the new Tuff signals this year, but also because product issues are taken very personally & highly motivated them to develop a superior product which led to the Extreme Dual Sports/Tuff light acquisition & subsequent updates/features in their quest to meet their high standards for performance & durability while being 100% waterproof & backed by a 2 year warranty.  There are 4 areas of seals to prevent water damage & Cyclops have tested them in a pressure chamber down to 60 feet below the surface for a 2 hour period...I wonder how many other lighting companies test their products to that extent?

20240416_172833.jpg

The updated design features the following:

• Spring loaded rubber stalks capable of bending 360 degrees while still being stiff, durable & nearly unbreakable. It is too soon to tell, but the spring incorporated design & stalk material should resist drooping over time, something that plagues many signals; 
  • 5 larger & brighter LEDs vs the Multifunction 3.0 signals smaller rows of LEDS & many other low cost alternatives;
  • The lens design is indeed unique. Its effective irradiation (how much usable light is directed from the lens) is up to 95% effective. Most blinkers and Cyclops older Multifunction 3.0 LED signals come in at approximately 20%. The new Tuff Lights are lower in wattage, but its light beam can emit very long distance at the effective area since they feature Linear Optical Design...a lens optimized for maximum visibility that offers a different pattern in the various optics (the outside LEDs look to be a wide angle flood design with the middle 3 LEDs being a narrower spot configuration, similar to that used on auxiliary light bars). This helps the emitters to be seen from different angles and makes for a larger footprint, allowing the light to appear larger than what it is; 
  • Slightly longer stalks for improved separation & recognition from the headlight & tail light;
  • Came prewired with Yamaha oem plug-n-play & positap connectors for my Tenere 700 (the bike specific kits include LED compatible flashers & block off plates); 
  • Front signals have bright white running lights (my preference would be for amber for improved conspicuity) & amber turn signal function;
  • Rear signals have amber signals & the option of either red running and/or brake light function (I opted to wire for both functions) of which the Tuff Light signal brightness matches the oem tail/brake light output very well & are highly visible, even in direct sunlight. The sequential operation of the previous Multifunction 3.0 signals has been replaced with all LEDs blinking on/off together...which, imho, provides improved conspicuity in this application.

Spring loaded stiff rubber stalks bend 360 degrees - pic from Cyclops Website

Capture1.JPG

Other installed Cyclops/Skene Lighting Products for improved conspicuity

Just to be clear, I have no affiliation with Cyclops & Skene (owned by Cyclops) other than being a paying customer of  products for years on multiple bikes. As with numerous Camel ADV products used on my Tenere 700, it just turns out that many of their products fit my needs, price point & performance expectations backed by a company that stands behind their products with industry leading service/support. Other Skene products I use to improve conspicuity & functionality in addition to the new Cyclops Tuff signals can be viewed elsewhere on my blog via these links: Skene IQ-275X controller wired to a Stedi ST3K 7.5" LED Light Bar & Skene Photon Blaster Turn Signal Front Visibility Light Kit wired to a Skene IQ-250-TS controller + a Cyclops TPMS

Front signal running lights on

20240417_155541.jpg

Rear signal running lights on

20240419_103153.jpg

Rear signal brake lights on

20240417_202523.jpg 

Front Tuff signal video from Cyclops website

Rear Tuff signal video from Cyclops website

Installation Instructions

Cyclops%20Tuff%20Light%20Turn%20Signals%20for%20Tamaha%20Tenere%20700%20Installation%20Instructions-1.jpg Cyclops%20Tuff%20Light%20Turn%20Signals%20for%20Tamaha%20Tenere%20700%20Installation%20Instructions-2.jpg

Cyclops%20Tuff%20Light%20Turn%20Signals%20for%20Tamaha%20Tenere%20700%20Installation%20Instructions-3.jpg Cyclops%20Tuff%20Light%20Turn%20Signals%20for%20Tamaha%20Tenere%20700%20Installation%20Instructions-4.jpg
Edited by prowlnS10
  • Like 1

+1 on the quality of their products and excellent support.  I'm currently working on a project that has required multiple calls for additional information to understand how their Skene IQ-375X controller can be integrated.  Brian has always been available and patient when I ask dumb questions, not to mention that he always has the correct answer. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

+1 on the quality of their products and excellent support.  I'm currently working on a project that has required multiple calls for additional information to understand how their Skene IQ-375X controller can be integrated.  Brian has always been available and patient when I ask dumb questions, not to mention that he always has the correct answer. 

I had the same great support experience from Darryl & Brian regarding using the Skene IQ-275X controller with a Stedi ST3K 7.5" LED light bar on my T7...the ability to talk directly with a tech who has actually installed their product on your bike cannot be overstated 😀

• Like 1

Had trouble with one of my 3.0 units. Not only did Cyclops take complete responsibility for the issue, they immediately shipped a replacement N/C. Uncommon customer service these days. I have recommended Cyclops to a number of friends.

• Like 1

I've been using there turn signals for years with no issues.