Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Handlebars, what you running from standard ?

Davey

With plenty of time on most of our hands just looking at options on bars.

Have any of you changed from the standard ones to Renthal, Pro Taper etc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canomball said:

I have change it  to Renthal ones.  For me is better position and quality

Renthall Twinwall 997l

I take it there's enough room for controls on those?

I agree on the Renthals, I'm looking at the Fat Bar RC high.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello.

My old bike was a Honda XRV750 an I really liked the angle of the handlebars.... Not so much the OEM T7. Do you guys have any suggestions on a substitute?

Regards

• 5 months later...

Just gonna bump this thread, cuz I just got some pro taper bars, but I realize the OEM handlebars might be a little longer on the ends than my pro taper bar is..

I like the shape of the original bars but they bent twice now on easy(walking speed) drops. 

Can anyone recommend the same dimension but stronger  handle bars?

They also need to fit OE heated grips and Barkbusters.

Edited by Oldhorse
Spelling

On 11/10/2020 at 7:07 PM, Oldhorse said:

I like the shape of the original bars but they bent twice now on easy(walking speed) drops. 

Can anyone recommend the same dimension but stronger  handle bars?

They also need to fit OE heated grips and Barkbusters.

I think the pro taper cr high bend are very similar specs. If I bend the stock bars I want to try the woods bend- has more pullback than cr high.

On 11/10/2020 at 4:57 PM, DORTx2 said:

I've got a pro taper adventure

I swapped out to pro taper adv bars but didn't have the right hardware even with some barkbusters adapters to properly install them. So I switched back to stock bars for the time being.

The standard bars are weakened by the holes drilled in the bars to aide 

Figment on the assembly line my bike fell over on my drive you can see 

the damage in the photo ,the top hole is elongated and the lower hole is

compressed, not good. I have fitted bars off a KTM 690 (no holes in bars)

and cut off the locating pegs all work well.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 9:32 AM, vagrant318 said:

I swapped out to pro taper adv bars but didn't have the right hardware even with some barkbusters adapters to properly install them. So I switched back to stock bars for the time being.

I ended up buying the barkbusters taper bar kit and had to buy some bar ends to make them fit, but I ended up getting them to fit pretty nicely.

• Like 2

On 11/14/2020 at 12:32 PM, vagrant318 said:

I think the pro taper cr high bend are very similar specs. If I bend the stock bars I want to try the woods bend- has more pullback than cr high.

Ouch, Vagrent! Should I be concerned or can we shorten the pro tapers and make the hand guards work?

22 minutes ago, gone2seed said:

Ouch, Vagrent! Should I be concerned or can we shorten the pro tapers and make the hand guards work?

I think you could make them work with the end weights with longer bolts but shouldn't have to go buy new hardware after paying 13$ for the "kit."

I test rode with the adv bars w/o handguards, felt okay but maybe too tall for me.

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor

ProTaper "Steering Damper Low". They have less sweep than the stock bars and are about 1.25" lower (32mm ish) than stock. Just enough room to get the controls mounted.

IMG_4782.jpeg

IMG_4791.jpeg

• Like 2

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

I put on some Renthal trials bars and off road they are great but on the highwaay they give me wicked aches in the wrist and hands fell asleep. I'll have to switch them out which is a shame as its super nice standing off road. PS anyone wanna buy some trials bars? 😜 they took a hard tomahawk like crash very well i must say, bent everything but the bars. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 4:57 PM, DORTx2 said:

I've got a pro taper adventure

what did you do to fit the 1-1/8 bars in the 7/8 mounts?

well I'll be dipped. I was looking around and thought I saw that the bars were 7/8. good to know. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed Protaper Contour CR high today.

Bought a R6 throttle tube and Oxford sport heated grips also since I didn't want to cut my original tube.

Had to make threads in the ends of the bar to fit the bar end weights. Otherwise I would not have enough space for my controls, the bar ends is extending the control space. This bar has 200 mm of space Protaper claims. I measured 180mm, but with a slow bend down to the clamping area I could mount brake and clutch close to the bends without getting the levers pointing too much up in the sky.

Also had to cut off the small plastic knobs on throttle house and on both switch controls. I don't like doing so on my newish bike, but didn't wanna drill 3 holes in the bar either. 

Used some good electrical tape under these and they clamped pretty well.

Screenshot_20201230-001214_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I tried to mount the proTaper Adventure High bars. The cables for the controls are not long enough such that they will reach the height of these bars so I do not recommend them to say the least.

• Like 3

I’ve got a set of fasst flex bars, they were off my super Tenere, so I had them thread for the s10. That means the stock bar end weights on the t700 wouldn’t work. I managed to fit all the controls on the bars, and drilled some holes in my bark busters to re use those as well.

B739F96B-98B4-4FBA-B7D2-18AB09930165.thumb.jpeg.2a2ce2d1b68e2cf973680a8726a97763.jpegF23E31AB-3E06-426B-B2A4-8AB8E444358A.thumb.jpeg.7b78bf504d5ac7381ad8d4c011fa2a71.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

@MikeCMPI'm thinking of doing Flexx Bars too. How do you like them? Do you know which model/size you have.

Thanks