Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Hepco & Becker Mini Rack Compatibility

CReamflourish

Just thought I'd share a compatibility issue and my fix for it.

So I have the T7 Rally Tail Tidy and the Genuine Yamaha LED Blinkers fitted to my bike, and this combination doesn't play nice with the Hepco & Becker Mini Rack. The tail tidy puts the indicators on a collision course with the lower rack tubes as you can see here:

20200324_110734732_iOS.thumb.jpg.e9af96d81cb9fd683fca2bf2936fac42.jpg

The solution I came up with was to shorten the sliver aluminium spacers that bolt up through the under-tray under the saddle. You can just see them under the hand-grip here before they were shortened.

20200324_111000743_iOS.thumb.jpg.5111ea531c11147dee0bf6fae674ae51.jpg

They are 30mm in length out of the packet, so I trimmed 3mm off them to reduce them to 27mm and this gave me just enough clearance. 

20200325_173311190_iOS.thumb.jpg.507b169b8421a3c3a131930bbfa19521.jpg

I did think about using use some indicator spacers to push the blinkers further apart which would haven given the clearance needed, but I really wanted to keep them as tight as I can to the side of the bike so there's less chance of them getting torn off when I go off-road.

Hope this helps anyone who has the same combination of parts.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1

How did you fit the indicators?

With these spacers?

I don't know if this will work...

IMG_20200303_222304.jpg

IMG_20200303_221550.jpg

@Lupan This is how I have them setup:

20200325_202535307_iOS.thumb.jpg.73dfd2b3958ef6a4612917fc7f113bbd.jpg

20200325_202403568_iOS.thumb.jpg.67ceff2fc6b04d2b73834f081f8834a2.jpg

You'll see that I used the 'flat' adaptors on the outside of the tail tidy (mainly because I preferred how that looked when I originally fitted the tail tidy).

The 'raised' type you have used should actually help the situation by spacing the indicators slightly further outboard. If you look at the top photo in my original post you will see that with my setup the widest part of the indicator bodies foul the rack. Its literally a few millimetres between them touching or not touching!

Hope that helps.

Regards, Mike

Thanks for the pics and you're atention, you bought that adaptors to T7 Rally? Myne are from China... My fear is if it cracks with the trepidation... And the front ones easy to fit the adaptors?

My rack is the givi one and i didn't mount the down piece... My signals and adaptors are all Chinese, this weekend i'm going to mount and see if it fit well, once again thanks for your help 😃

Edited by Lupan

@Lupan I used the adaptors that came in the box with the Yamaha flashers, along with the 3D printed spacers that came with the T7 Rally tail tidy. which are designed to work with the OEM indicators. (I didn't order any of the optional indicator mounting plates with my tail tidy). FYI the Yamaha indicators have a rubber section built into their stem so they flex when knocked.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again, in your case it seems that the spacer fill all the signal hole, mine don´t... I´m going to try like you did to see if it works better, for now i don´t have the rack problem...

You use one or twoo spacers for signal hole?

Thanks again

Hi @Lupan,

So basically working from the outside in I have:  Indicator > 'Flat' Spacer  > 'T7 Rally Indicator Spacer > Domed' Spacer > Nut!

'Flat' Spacer from the Yamaha LED indicator kit:

20200408_181853944_iOS.thumb.jpg.b6fbee011b5db3527f096067a0b3206d.jpg

'Domed' Spacer from the Yamaha LED indicator kit:

20200408_181825437_iOS.thumb.jpg.368db55a953acbae8b09041f39883db8.jpg

T7 Rally Indicator Spacers. These are 3D printed parts that are used to take up the difference in thickness between the  stock plastic tail unit and the thinner T7 Rally tail tidy:

t7indicatorspacers.thumb.JPG.5b1d7003e7fd32de3d99aab461136ee8.JPG

I turned the domed spacer around backwards so the domed part fits into the tear-drop shaped hole in the tail tidy, and sandwiched the T7 Rally indicator spacers between to take up the thickness. I did this to stop the spacers from rotating around, but you dont need to do that to be honest.

Hope that makes sense and is helpful. 

Cheers, Mike

Ok My friend, now i've seen the setup, i was thinking that your spacer fits the hole, but the spacers from T7 Rally probably they will be usefull, tomorow is the day that's going to work 😃

And my Chinese signals don't work without relay, but they say they work.

Thanks again friend

Edited by Lupan

• 2 months later...
On 3/25/2020 at 6:04 PM, CReamflourish said:

Just thought I'd share a compatibility issue and my fix for it.

So I have the T7 Rally Tail Tidy and the Genuine Yamaha LED Blinkers fitted to my bike, and this combination doesn't play nice with the Hepco & Becker Mini Rack. The tail tidy puts the indicators on a collision course with the lower rack tubes as you can see here:

20200324_110734732_iOS.thumb.jpg.e9af96d81cb9fd683fca2bf2936fac42.jpg

The solution I came up with was to shorten the sliver aluminium spacers that bolt up through the under-tray under the saddle. You can just see them under the hand-grip here before they were shortened.

20200324_111000743_iOS.thumb.jpg.5111ea531c11147dee0bf6fae674ae51.jpg

They are 30mm in length out of the packet, so I trimmed 3mm off them to reduce them to 27mm and this gave me just enough clearance. 

20200325_173311190_iOS.thumb.jpg.507b169b8421a3c3a131930bbfa19521.jpg

I did think about using use some indicator spacers to push the blinkers further apart which would haven given the clearance needed, but I really wanted to keep them as tight as I can to the side of the bike so there's less chance of them getting torn off when I go off-road.

Hope this helps anyone who has the same combination of parts.

Cheers, Mike

I've just picked up a T7 that has the same tail tidy fitted but with standard indicators. I'm interested in getting the same H&B Mini Rack, do you think I'll have the same issue with the standard indicators fitted? Cheers. 

19 minutes ago, jojitsu56 said:

I've just picked up a T7 that has the same tail tidy fitted but with standard indicators. I'm interested in getting the same H&B Mini Rack, do you think I'll have the same issue with the standard indicators fitted? Cheers. 

@jojitsu56 I can't say for sure to be honest.

If you compare my photos with @Aleksandar13's bike below, you'll notice that the indicator stalks are a bit longer so the widest part of the indicator body sits a good bit further outboard of the tail tidy. So this might be enough for the rack to pass between the tail section of the bike and the widest part of the indicators.

T7StockIndicators.JPG.3afcc80088d66c387089c1ccfe769845.JPG

I did consider using indicator extensions with my LED indicators instead of shortening the rack spacers. From memory I needed to send the indicator out about 25mm to get enough clearance with the rack. I reckon the stock indicator stalks are about this much longer than the LED ones so you might be ok. I'd give it 60/40 they fit!

Cheers, Mike

7 minutes ago, CReamflourish said:

@jojitsu56 I can't say for sure to be honest.

If you compare my photos with @Aleksandar13's bike below, you'll notice that the indicator stalks are a bit longer so the widest part of the indicator body sits a good bit further outboard of the tail tidy. So this might be enough for the rack to pass between the tail section of the bike and the widest part of the indicators.

T7StockIndicators.JPG.3afcc80088d66c387089c1ccfe769845.JPG

I did consider using indicator extensions with my LED indicators instead of shortening the rack spacers. From memory I needed to send the indicator out about 25mm to get enough clearance with the rack. I reckon the stock indicator stalks are about this much longer than the LED ones so you might be ok. I'd give it 60/40 they fit!

Cheers, Mike

Ha, great info, cheers.. Decisions decisions.. Might stay safe and go for the adventure Spec rack.