Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Bridgestone Battlax AX41

Jason

Anyone any experience with this tire? 

I'm looking for a bit of a unicorn I think and based off reviews this seems to be as close as I'll be getting. I ride my Tenere off-road quite a bit but also use it on the road a lot. Commuting to work hail, rain or snow etc.  

The oem tires are great on the road but once you get them off road they are terrible. 

So what do you guys know of the new AX41? Anything else worth considering in your experience? 

*I'm in Ireland so off-road for me usually equals a lot of muck 

Cheers

• Premium Member

No experience of those Ax41’s. I’d say grand though and go for it and keep us posted on how they are. Cheers 

Ki Jason,

here's the answer for your research and I think for many, many more viewers

They did a great job. You will have to go till the end to find the boards.

There is also a vidéo about the AX41, it's a must.

• Like 2

Cheers guys. 

Frenchie, I had seen that video alright. I think the AX41 is definitely worth a shot, I had just hoped another member could help confirm that with real world experience on a Tenere. 

I think this will be the tyre I use as well once the Pirellis are worn out.  They seem to tick most of the boxes for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve ridden 7k km with the ax41 at the front on my s10.

It grips well on all surfaces even cold and wet black top. Mind not suitable for sports bike speed and lean.

It’s a bit noisy, but it’s knobbly 😉

It also wears well, I’m commuting on black top and no issues.

I hope this will be of some use.

Cheers Thomas

• Like 3

I don't know why they he say that the Scorpion STR are 80/20, and the MITAS E07 and the Heidenau K60 are 50-50, i don't do a lot off road but this OEM tires seems do me more 50-50 than those other twoo...

• Premium Member

OEM Scorpion Rally STR did well as 80/20, but as not so good in mud or deep sand hence 80/20 and i note the more knobby normal Scorpion Rally a 50/50.

The inscription M+S means Mud and Snow, but is probably to put the tyre more pretty ehehe

My mate recons its the best tyre ever, and he tested pretty much every tyre on every surface, ik think i'm going with this one also if the STR's are worn out!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Just looking a wee update on the AX41 tyres, did anyone eventually fit a set of AX41's to the T7, if so do they work ok with tubes? Or do you have to convert your rims to tubeless??

I had a set on another bike (790AdvR) and can recommend the AX 41 whole heartedly! They are very good on dirt and they are very good on black top for what they are.

After a spin on twisty blacktop chasing some buddies on GSs, I was surprised to see no chicken strip left. Good grip for a knob tread!

would be no problem to mount them with tubes

54CAD777-8F8B-446C-8E6B-5AD0AF3BADDB.jpeg

• Like 2

Hello.

I have AX41 in rear. Front tire is Pirelli Rally M&S (not STR nor MST).

It works fine with tube. My Excel prediction is that I need to change it somewhere between 3500 and 4000 kilometres with my driving habits. Quite a lot of flying rocks and sand, aka. sepelilinko, see the picture. Wear is quite quick in the beginning but then it slows down.

Slide is easy to control by throttle, much easier than Pirelli STR.

image001.png

20200919.jpg

tireshake1.jpg

Edited by Jopo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Johnnyboxer said:

I have gone MT21 on the front yesterday 

E58D4002-8A0D-49F6-A171-06298F9E42CF.jpeg

Definitely another option Johnny, I really like them and I've used MT21's on the front of loads of bikes.  I just thought I might buy a matching pair of tyres for once 😄

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Definitely another option Johnny, I really like them and I've used MT21's on the front of loads of bikes.  I just thought I might buy a matching pair of tyres for once 😄

Dealer warranty replacement & they would only fit a Pirelli brand tyre 

No stock of Scorpion STR anywhere 

Other options were road tyres

So cheekily asked for a MT21 (thinking if I didn’t like it, I could put it on the XR400R)

They agreed and put one on

Front wheel wobble disappears instantly 

Funny that 😉🤗

I did tell them at first service that the front tyre wasn’t right - but they thought ‘another customer talking out of  his Arse’ and they replaced the head bearings and nowt changed (at least they are greased up properly now 😂)

Funny old world 

• Haha 2

On 10/2/2020 at 9:50 AM, Johnnyboxer said:

Dealer warranty replacement & they would only fit a Pirelli brand tyre 

No stock of Scorpion STR anywhere 

Other options were road tyres

So cheekily asked for a MT21 (thinking if I didn’t like it, I could put it on the XR400R)

They agreed and put one on

Front wheel wobble disappears instantly 

Funny that 😉🤗

I did tell them at first service that the front tyre wasn’t right - but they thought ‘another customer talking out of  his Arse’ and they replaced the head bearings and nowt changed (at least they are greased up properly now 😂)

Funny old world 

At my 1000km service, I mentioned I had a front end wobble on the highway. He immediately said, "it's your tire" and we went out and looked. He identified a slight scalloping on the tires that I couldn't see. I wasn't away I could get warranty on them. I didn't ask.

I did drop the bike on a trail, and misaligned the front end. After I re-aligned it myself (with the helpful guidance from members on this forum) My front end wobble has been reduced. It's still there though.

• 3 weeks later...

I mounted the AX-41's on my T7 a month ago and now have about 1,500 miles on them.  A few weeks ago, I took them on an 1,100 mile trip that consisted of a mix of pavement and off-road - gravel roads, rocky two-track trails, flat dirt roads.  I also rode in the pouring rain for at least 80 miles.

These tires never let me down and provided grip and confidence everywhere I took them.  That being said, I agree with Jopo above.  Longevity will be the AX-41's limiting factor.  I also feel that I might be able to get 2,500-3,000 miles out of the rear tire, but that's it.  I would certainly run them again, but am also inclined to run something that will last longer and are also a 50/50 tire.  My next choice will be either be the Michelin Anakee Wilds or the Dunlop Trailmax Mission. 

RR soft luggage racks-1.jpg

Edited by Seventh Son
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

After installing AX41s on my T7, I noticed two things immediately.  First, the bike turns in quicker than the stock tires.  Not sure why that is - rounder profile on the rear maybe.  This isn't necessarily  a negative, but it is different.  Second, the ride is firmer and I feel bumps more (at same tire pressures with the stock tires of 33 psi front and 36 psi rear).  Bias ply tires like the AX41 are known to have this characteristic compared to radial tires like the stock Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR (rear only).  It is due to the stiffer sidewalls on bias ply tires.  The AX41 in 150/70B18 is actually a belted bias ply tire, and I'm not sure what affect that has.  What tire pressures are you guys running with the AX41s?  Same as stock?

33 minutes ago, A A Ron said:

After installing AX41s on my T7, I noticed two things immediately.  First, the bike turns in quicker than the stock tires.  Not sure why that is - rounder profile on the rear maybe.  This isn't necessarily  a negative, but it is different.  Second, the ride is firmer and I feel bumps more (at same tire pressures with the stock tires of 33 psi front and 36 psi rear).  Bias ply tires like the AX41 are known to have this characteristic compared to radial tires like the stock Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR (rear only).  It is due to the stiffer sidewalls on bias ply tires.  The AX41 in 150/70B18 is actually a belted bias ply tire, and I'm not sure what affect that has.  What tire pressures are you guys running with the AX41s?  Same as stock?

I agree with you, and I too felt the same changes when I first installed the AX-41's.  You will get used to the firmer/harsh ride.  I adjusted my pressures to 28-31 psi in the front and 32-33 in the rear.  I've been running those pressures for 2,000+ miles now and feel quite comfortable with the tires. 

I also experience a slight rumble feeling of the knobbies, mostly in the front, just before the bike comes to a complete stop.  I would say I feel this anywhere from 5-10 mph, but only on deceleration.  It's neither good nor bad, just something I noticed. 

Edited by Seventh Son

@Seventh Son  Thanks for the pressure recommendations.  I'll give them a try.

I'm looking forward to giving the AX41s a go in the dirt.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/1/2020 at 11:15 PM, Jopo said:

My Excel prediction is that I need to change it somewhere between 3500 and 4000 kilometres with my driving habits.

I changed the rear tire after 2300 kilometres. New tire is AX41.

I like the tire, it has enough grip in tarmac twisties, as well.

image001.png

Edited by Jopo
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

wow ... 2300km is not very much. I perhaps should have read your last post @Jopo before ordering a set of AX41

2300kms?? Is that correct?

wow, I guess I can feel better about the Shet mileage I’m getting out of my Anakee Wilds! 

I will soon change rear tire. Maybe at 2700km. Next tire is AX41. I dont care so much about kilometres, other things matter more.

It really depends where and how you ride. I think that in tarmac it takes much more kilometres. And in gravel too if not sliding all the time.

Upper graph is rear tire and lower front tire.

20210818_215849.jpg

Edited by Jopo
  • Like 1

Mounted them yesterday and had a first ride today. Had some fun offroad and can confirm they performed well. On tarmac, good grip aswell. Will come back after some more miles to provide more feeeback.

It feels like they are on the heavier side, can this be true?