Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Removing Wheels

Southcoastbiker

You need a huge 27mm socket for the rear wheel axle and a large Allen key for the front wheel axle.
Instead of a Allen key for the front wheel I’ve included some photos of different nuts and sockets that may work and still be light and reasonably small to pack and  to carry. The axles  are so large I think it needs a good length bar to loosen them. They will definately need some heavy long bar to break them initially. 

Some spark plug sockets fit the front Allen key one fits perfect others were a bit loose. You can also use a bolt find another nut that fits and weld it on and then use a socket to remove the axle. I will cut the socket part off and a standard ratchet socket spanner will fit. This will also fit the 27mm rear socket. I would rather carry something lighter but I think anything else will bend or break.

0CA1F841-8E6C-4783-9EBB-BE048BDF1E46.jpeg

8E6DC150-399A-4618-8557-E87935352C66.jpeg

Edited by Southcoastbiker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advice from super tenere forum

Get a coupler nut, not sure if front axle diameter is same for super tenere and tenere 700

Got mine from home cheapo,then you can use a regular sucket

Edited by vilageidgit62
correct

13 hours ago, Southcoastbiker said:

You need a huge 27mm socket for the rear wheel axle and a large Allen key for the front wheel axle.
Instead of a Allen key for the front wheel I’ve included some photos of different nuts and sockets that may work and still be light and reasonably small to pack and  to carry. The axles  are so large I think it needs a good length bar to loosen them. They will definately need some heavy long bar to break them initially. 

Some spark plug sockets fit the front Allen key one fits perfect others were a bit loose. You can also use a bolt find another nut that fits and weld it on and then use a socket to remove the axle. I will cut the socket part off and a standard ratchet socket spanner will fit. This will also fit the 27mm rear socket. I would rather carry something lighter but I think anything else will bend or break.

0CA1F841-8E6C-4783-9EBB-BE048BDF1E46.jpeg

8E6DC150-399A-4618-8557-E87935352C66.jpeg

Great minds think alike 👍 , I mentioned the 5/8 spark plug socket here -

I've got my new TIG welder, I just have to get some Argon gas and welding rods then it's tool building for me.

I've got some ideas to get more leverage and make a strong and compact tool from parts in my "spare" toolbox,  i'll post it up when it's tried and tested.

Edited by Whitey66
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

For Australian owners Repco have a adjustable socket tool for sale on special for $16. The larger tool has a maximum of 27mm so it fits the rear wheel axle nut perfectly. Both tools replace 42 sockets. Was advertised for $20 upon checkout a further discount of 20% total $16

1A4356A1-5C7E-4692-8A74-27EFF01D959A.jpeg

43F0B0B8-EFA5-4E9C-A7D2-B2DE6746F793.jpeg

• Like 3