Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Spoke Corrosion

Stephen H

I just keep the bike dirty, out of sight out of mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/21/2021 at 11:27 AM, Great Escape said:

...or get them rebuilt with heavy duty stainless steel spokes!

Knowing how expensive everything related with bike is, it sounds expensive. How much did it cost you?

49 minutes ago, Yasenia said:

Knowing how expensive everything related with bike is, it sounds expensive. How much did it cost you?

Hi, I think the spokes were around  £80 ishhh,  (for my 660) , £50 for a friend to spray the rims, £25 for a friend to lace and true the wheel.  On the T7 I've got the gold wheels with heavy duty stainless spokes from Rally Raid...great quality 👌 

• Like 1

Matth can you please tell me if it was an official yamaha dealer who replaced your spokes with stainless and if so what was the dealers name and address

• 2 months later...

In the UK one of the most annoying responses from Yamaha was that you still had to take the bike in as the only way to validate a claim when we were in full covid lock down. One dealer I called told me it was due to a unique chemical they use on UK roads.

Edited by Medog van Bike
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/6/2022 at 2:12 PM, Medog van Bike said:

In the UK one of the most annoying responses from Yamaha was that you still had to take the bike in as the only way to validate a claim when we were in full covid lock down. One dealer I called told me it was due to a unique chemical they use on UK roads.

“Unique chemical” that doesn’t seem to affect stainless spokes 😉

• Like 1

The tubed rims are a bigger issue for me than the tarnished spokes. How come the 1200 gets

tubeless and we don't 🤔

On 4/1/2022 at 1:24 PM, Yasenia said:

Mine has a bit over 5,000 miles and they care corroded. Not has bad as other make it sound, some of the spokes are starting to look ugly. Yamaha needs to definitely do something about it. My T7 has been in the shop for over a month due to problems with hard hot starts. With no idea when I'll get it back. Otherwise I would take pictures and post them.

Delete charcoal can. Known fix for hot start issue. 

1 hour ago, mcbrien said:

The tubed rims are a bigger issue for me than the tarnished spokes. How come the 1200 gets

tubeless and we don't 🤔

Because they’re better for off road riding. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BMRT7 said:

Delete charcoal can. Known fix for hot start issue. 

Because they’re better for off road riding. 

So is a 350 single.

Just now, mcbrien said:

So is a 350 single.

So get one. 

or if you want to ride only street then get a street bike. Everything about the T7 is a compromise. 

• 1 year later...
On 2/15/2023 at 10:30 PM, Ivan said:

On my World Raid, aux. connectors are behind those two plastic side bumpers. Right under front signal lights. Yo have on left and on right aswell.

On 6/17/2021 at 5:35 PM, Matth said:

I was offered stainless on mine and i pay labour. The dealership organised this and paid for by Yamaha 

Matthew can I ask what dealer is doing the spoke work under warranty as this is good ref when I see my dealer soon about replacing my spokes

Thanks

Martin

and yes I agree these are superficial they need to be a lot worse to start compromise the integrity of the wheel.  

• 4 months later...

Yamaha Europe Moto refused (after 2 monts waiting time) to replace the coroded spokes on my 2022 Rally. I guess they have to much sucess here in France. The corosion started after 2 months, I have never riden the bike in rain, heated garage..... 

Not only did they refuse the waranty claim, that bunch of idiots recomemmed to read carefully the cleaning section in the supplied user  manual.....

Never will buy a french made bike again  buy japanes, british or german made. Better quality and better service

On 6/6/2022 at 2:12 PM, Medog van Bike said:

I, it’s called sodium chloride. A rare-earth mineral 🤣

• Haha 1