Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Exhaust Bolts

Gpk183

I have noticed over the past couple of weeks that the 8 no. Allen key head bolts and washers holding the trim on to the exhaust have corroded and stained the area around them. Its odd because my bike was registered in february and has been stored in a garage whereas my friends one is from August and is kept outside and isnt as bad... I guess I must have picked up a heavy dose of salt from a road somewhere.

Anyway, my advice is to pick up a couple of stainless ones when you can to avoid the stains. 

• Like 2

already done. have been going through the chassis nuts and bolts changing to stainless also removing parts such as the exhaust manifold nuts and lubing with copper slip etc.

• Like 2

i know this now 🙂  i think it a good idea owners remove all nuts and bolts (one by one of course) measure them and add some lube before refitting. i have also made replacement shoulder screws,you know ,the 'orrible little panel fastners, from m8 dome head screws. pain in the arse to make with the tooling i have access to tho. but does away with the need for an m8 spanner or torx .. if i get chance ill take some photos.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 3/29/2020 at 9:14 AM, bth2 said:

already done. have been going through the chassis nuts and bolts changing to stainless also removing parts such as the exhaust manifold nuts and lubing with copper slip etc.

What size are the nuts for the exhaust header? 

On 3/28/2021 at 6:56 PM, Aleksandar13 said:

What size are the nuts for the exhaust header? 

M8.....if possible change for brass.

• Like 2