Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum
shaneygrog

Camping in the name of isolation!

shaneygrog
Posted (edited)

I decided to take the newly serviced bike on an overnight camping  trip, just me. Only about 300KM or so round trip, mainly sealed roads but also some nice time riding the tracks in the park where I camped. I found a nice secluded spot on a granite outcrop with just enough room for the bike, tent and a small fire. Weather was nice and the clear night sky beautiful.  A few cold beers and warm pasta made for a great, if brief stay. 

20200329_093850.jpg

20200329_073524.jpgI love this one with the sunrise behind me. The colours of nature complement the colours of the bike I think.

Edited by shaneygrog
  • Like 6

shaneygrog

20200329_100016.jpg

20200329_073006.jpg

• Like 7

shaneygrog

20200328_164616.jpg

• Like 3

shaneygrog

20200329_072958.jpg

20200328_191156.jpg

• Like 7

Whitey66

Good to see you didn't set the tent up under a tree, you can never trust those damn Drop Bears 👍

There's something special about a solitary camping trip with a motorcycle isn't there?

• Like 2

shaneygrog

Yes there is, and I haven't done it in years till now, just car camping the last two decades, which has been great, but on a bike it's special.

Oh, no drop bears in this park apart from the camping ground where the tourists go, but where I was it was wombats (I didn't see any but was close to freshly dug burrows, and lots of eagles, more than ten on the wind in the morning. And wallabys and small birds, no drop bears, thank god! 

manny

that's what these adventure bikes are all about, great sunset, where abouts  is it near Dunolly ?

• Like 1

shaneygrog
Posted (edited)

Yes and no. Sure it's THE bike for this sort of thing but I wasn't near Dunolly.

Terrick Terrick park, north of Mitiamo, it's only a small park but it's nice, if you like roughing it. Don't tell anybody though or they will all want to go!

Reminds me, I have a great little spot I like to camp north of Dunolly, Kooyoora that I haven't been to for a while. I usually get there by car but with a bike the options of getting a nice secluded spot there (nowhere near the actual campground) is greatly increased. Now you have got me thinking for my next isolation camp!

Edited by shaneygrog
Cuz I wanna add stuff!

manny

Mt Cole north west of Beaufort has some ripper camp spots, it a bit of a favourite of mine, if you have never been its worth a look.

shaneygrog

Haven't been out that way in a while. Good tracks out there I remember, and a good lookout.

bth2

love this one with the sunrise behind me. The colours of nature complement the colours of the bike I think.

i think youll find the red of the sun set makes the bike look slower.......now, a blue sky would make it look so much faster.

shaneygrog
23 minutes ago, bth2 said:

i think youll find the red of the sun set makes the bike look slower.......now, a blue sky would make it look so much faster.

You are probably right, but it's proven that the blue ones are sh!t off road where the red ones shine in such conditions, almost like a proper trail bike!

• Like 1

bth2

you have a fantastic country for riding....i can only dream of such a rideout.

• Like 2

shaneygrog
8 hours ago, bth2 said:

you have a fantastic country for riding....i can only dream of such a rideout.

Yes, we are lucky here, a T7 is much the perfect bike for our country, if you like getting out of the city and into remote country anyway.  Where I live, although we have a highway close by we also have lots of bush with tracks to ride, I can always take the "hard" way to the supermarket if I chose and avoid sealed roads the whole way!

• Like 2

X Plane

How did hell did some guy crash / bash that truck in such a big empty field, lol 🤣

Gk83

We did something similar at the weekend. Nothing like a bit of a fire

IMG-20200601-WA0024.jpg

IMG-20200601-WA0022.jpg

• Like 2

X Plane

Pannier versus non-panniers right there.... any verdicts ??

Louis
2 hours ago, X Plane said:

Yes your arse looks big with boxes.🐖 Should have brought a 1200gs!😁 "boxes are for boxers"😂

Swifty

I was on the one with the topbox. Felt a little top-heavy at first but did just fine. I have the 58litre Givi Trekker on the Yamaha rack. Side bags/cases probably better for centre of gravity. Both have pros and cons. The Kriega OS side bags look like a good solution

X Plane
44 minutes ago, Swifty said:

I was on the one with the topbox. Felt a little top-heavy at first but did just fine. I have the 58litre Givi Trekker on the Yamaha rack. Side bags/cases probably better for centre of gravity. Both have pros and cons. The Kriega OS side bags look like a good solution

Soft side bags ok too. My topbox is a slim pannier put on as a topbox. Don’t want width 

FF0A0D3A-E260-4935-9922-F7BA8DF91FA5.jpeg

48CF85E1-6503-40D8-B313-96EE835559F7.jpeg

• Like 1

X Plane

don't wanna be too wide load 

Gk83
On 6/6/2020 at 6:10 AM, X Plane said:

The top box raises the centre of gravity for sure. The side boxes don't do that and although it looks wide it handles very well. 

If I was going somewhere that I expected to fall off a lot I would go with soft stuff but if there's a trip that's realistically going to be on road then its boxes all the way.

• Like 1