Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Under the seat with a B.&B. Off Road Tail Rack.

Allen Kelly

Hi everyone, as I posted a week or so ago I fitted a B&B Engineering Australia Tail Rack. B&B make such high quality gear I never hesitated in buying one. The problem was in its design you couldn’t access under the seat without removing the rack. I thought a bit about it and come up with a reasonably quick solution to the problem without removing the rack and in doing so you don’t have to remove your luggage attached to the rack. I have attached a short video to demonstrate how to go about it. Cheers Allen.

(I’m not sure if I’ve done this right it’s my first YouTube post )

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

Edited by tenerecanada
*fixed youtube link
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Allen, you don't really need the bolts at the rear of the seat. I was thinking of screwing some 6mm studs into the threads to locate the seat correctly at the back and adding some rubber where the seat locates but you don't really need it. Just wondering if the rear seat can be removed without lifting the rack? If it can it would make this a quick - no tools job. The rear seat lock catch does hang down a bit though and it's hard to see in the video and photos how much room you have to get it out. You'd have to be careful not to scratch the rear panel.

Or maybe you could try releasing the rear seat and moving it back slightly so you can lift the front one out?

Edited by Whitey66
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Whitey66 said:

Allen, you don't really need the bolts at the rear of the seat. I was thinking of screwing some 6mm studs into the threads to locate the seat correctly at the back and adding some rubber where the seat locates but you don't really need it. Just wondering if the rear seat can be removed without lifting the rack? If it can it would make this a quick - no tools job. The rear seat lock catch does hang down a bit though and it's hard to see in the video and photos how much room you have to get it out. You'd have to be careful not to scratch the rear panel.

Or maybe you could try releasing the rear seat and moving it back slightly so you can lift the front one out?

Hey Whitey, that sounds like a good idea with the studs. Unfortunately the rear seat cannot be removed with the rack bolted down even if you release it with the key it will not pull back far enough to allow you to remove the front seat. That is the reason why I came up with this idea I wanted to know I could get under there if and when the occasion arises out on the road. Doing it this way you don’t have to remove your gear from the rack to lift it up. If you do decide to go ahead with the studs please let me know and I will look into it as well. Something to do in this horrible time of lock down. Cheers mate.

• Like 1

Good job Allen.

I was wondering though, if the rack is on why have the rear seat at all? Keep in in the shed when the rack is on the bike, and then you have a handy space under the rack for a tool roll or something similar. You would have to remove the front seat to access that space quickly, or tip up the rack like you did in the video but you could fit a few handy things in there, tools, maybe spare gloves and loo paper in a small waterproof bag,

Shane

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shaneygrog said:

Good job Allen.

I was wondering though, if the rack is on why have the rear seat at all? Keep in in the shed when the rack is on the bike, and then you have a handy space under the rack for a tool roll or something similar. You would have to remove the front seat to access that space quickly, or tip up the rack like you did in the video but you could fit a few handy things in there, tools, maybe spare gloves and loo paper in a small waterproof bag,

Shane

That’s a good idea I never thought of that mate. Raining here so tomorrow I will play around with that and get back to you. That would alleviate the problem of where to carry the full touring kit of tools. I like it! Cheers Shane.

• Like 1

No worries Allen, i'm keen to see you you go. I'd also be keen to maybe buy the rack and do the same myself, after all, the 2 piece seat is a pain, if you want to get to stuff underneath, and apart from my 7 year old girl nobody around here wants to get on the back seat anyways!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at doing the same,just keep the rear seat off when the rack is on.