Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tool tube on Adventurespec side rack

Louis

3 hours ago, Louis said:

I have just installed a tool tube on the Adventurespec side rack. It's the smaller 90mm diameter one,  nice snug and inconspicuous fitting . I also  have a 110mm diameter one but looked like it will interfere with the chain and or swingarm. Which is a shame as it holds so much more.

20200430_112331.jpg

20200430_112805.jpg

Top job and nearly invisible! That looks so neat. Will tyre levers/irons fit it out of interest?

Cheers

• Like 2

Yes, the tube is about 300mm long. I was going to use it for puncture repair setup myself. I will have a  play around with it and will post my set up. Stay tuned for update. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Louis said:

Yes, the tube is about 300mm long. I was going to use it for puncture repair setup myself. I will have a  play around with it and will post my set up. Stay tuned for update. 

Brilliant and thanks. I'm sure many would be interested in your findings.

I'll be getting exactly the same Adventure spec top rack and side racks.

• Like 1

Just finished packing up my puncture repair setup version 1.0 for the tube, ALL fits in. I already have a EBay sourced canvas tool roll. Good for keeping the rattle down and organised. Please note on the 19mm spanner is used for front axle removal, it has a piece of 19mm hex which I drilled out the centre for lightening, nice fit on the spanner. Motion Pro bead breaker tyre levers, 27mm tyre lever/ spoon for rear axle. 10/12mm spanner for front axle removal and chain adjuster. 

Also found a square plastic container which I use a piece of foam to hold it in the top of the screw on lid. Container has glue, patches, sandpaper and spare valves. The hand pump is outside of the toolroll. I do have an electric pump, it would have fit in the larger diameter tube which sadly wasn't a good fit.

I also fit a zip lock bag of talc which I thought of after photo shoot. Version 1.2. Improvement comments please.... for version 1.3

20200501_080139.jpg

20200501_075930.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Leon,

Firstly, thanks very much for your advice last week - much appreciated.

Your kit looks great  - the Motion Pro Beadpros are a great piece of kit (and they are nice and light) as well as the valve puller tool that can save a lot of skin off the knuckles!

The only additions that I take are a couple of 25oz CO2's and adaptor, and some "windex" (some use dish washing detergent) in a hotel shampoo container to help with the tyre fitting.

Paul

• Like 2

Hi Paul, who's Leon? Must be predictive text.🤣 The tube is packed tightly so no room for CO2 or I have to dump the hand pump. Great idea with the detergent! Any detergent will lube rubber. Will try to find room.  Leon said many thanks.

Louis 

2 hours ago, Mungo said:

Hi Leon,

Firstly, thanks very much for your advice last week - much appreciated.

Your kit looks great  - the Motion Pro Beadpros are a great piece of kit (and they are nice and light) as well as the valve puller tool that can save a lot of skin off the knuckles!

The only additions that I take are a couple of 25oz CO2's and adaptor, and some "windex" (some use dish washing detergent) in a hotel shampoo container to help with the tyre fitting.

Paul

Update; small bottle of detergent crammed in, lube the lid thread to make it easy to install. 

Cheers Louis 

Edited by Louis
  • Like 1

Sorry Louis,

Unfortunately I can't use the excuse of predictive text - was plain old "dumb Paul" or I could use the Alzheimer's excuse.  I tell my wife it's Adventure before Dementia, however she says for me it's Adventure with Dementia.

Regards Paul (I think!)

• Haha 3

On 4/30/2020 at 1:28 PM, Rich TT said:

Brilliant and thanks. I'm sure many would be interested in your findings.

I'll be getting exactly the same Adventure spec top rack and side racks.

Would you mind sending a link to your actual tube where you bought it from? I've seen a few and they vary in price quite a bit.

Thanks

Rich

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rich TT said:

Would you mind sending a link to your actual tube where you bought it from? I've seen a few and they vary in price quite a bit.

Thanks

Rich

s-l400.jpg

Type: L Tool Tube Box. Tool Tube is the ultimate, rugged and versatile solution for transporting and storing tools and much...

I hope this link works.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi all 

just bought my Tenere 700 and really conscious of weight 

after coming from the too heavy Africa twin . 
my question is are the Adventure spec rack and side panels light weight? 
they look exactly  what I’m looking for 

regards 

Dave 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Adams said:

Hi all 

just bought my Tenere 700 and really conscious of weight 

after coming from the too heavy Africa twin . 
my question is are the Adventure spec rack and side panels light weight? 
they look exactly  what I’m looking for 

regards 

Dave 

They are really light weight as they are made of aluminium. When I received them I was pleasantly surprised how super-light they are. Still, they are sturdy enough as my left side already took a big hit once. It bent a little and I bent it back at home with a BIG hammer 🙂

Yes! Lightweight, I am coming off an Africa Twin myself. The rear rack and crash bar protectors are also quite lightweight from Adventurespec. Highly recommended! 

Hi David,

I have the Adventure Spec rack (without the side panels) and it weighs 1.6kgs - and I love it - fits well, is extremely practical, and looks great..

I also have the Adventure Spec Crash Bars - another great product - it weighs 3.1kgs

Paul 

That’s cool. I have the AS rack and sides ordered. 

Looks like the perfect light setup.  Really like how the tool tube just tucks in.  

On 5/2/2020 at 8:37 AM, Louis said:
s-l400.jpg

Type: L Tool Tube Box. Tool Tube is the ultimate, rugged and versatile solution for transporting and storing tools and much...

I hope this link works.

If you can’t find one online, these tool tubes are actually tractor document holders - you can get one from an agriculture/tractor place for about $15 (Australian). 

• Like 2

On 5/1/2020 at 1:29 AM, Louis said:

Just finished packing up my puncture repair setup version 1.0 for the tube, ALL fits in. I already have a EBay sourced canvas tool roll. Good for keeping the rattle down and organised. Please note on the 19mm spanner is used for front axle removal, it has a piece of 19mm hex which I drilled out the centre for lightening, nice fit on the spanner. Motion Pro bead breaker tyre levers, 27mm tyre lever/ spoon for rear axle. 10/12mm spanner for front axle removal and chain adjuster. 

Also found a square plastic container which I use a piece of foam to hold it in the top of the screw on lid. Container has glue, patches, sandpaper and spare valves. The hand pump is outside of the toolroll. I do have an electric pump, it would have fit in the larger diameter tube which sadly wasn't a good fit.

I also fit a zip lock bag of talc which I thought of after photo shoot. Version 1.2. Improvement comments please.... for version 1.3

Do you actually use glue and patches when you puncture a tyre? Not just put in a new innertube? I am used to drive bikes with tubeless tyres, so put in a plug and drive. This is my first bike which is not tubeless. So n00b on inner tubes 😉

On 5/1/2020 at 1:29 AM, Louis said:

Tube tyres are like a  bicycle, patch and glue the hole in the inner tube. Refit the tube inside the tyre which happens to be a tubeless tyre but not tubeless rims. Add air.👍

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 12:06 AM, Louis said:

Yes! Lightweight, I am coming off an Africa Twin myself. The rear rack and crash bar protectors are also quite lightweight from Adventurespec. Highly recommended! 

I have been contemplating a lot what pannier setup to get. 
 Decided I need some rack system to get the storage I need.  Gone for outback motor tech. With X frame fuel storage.  Aluminium panniers are a big  no no for me there 6 kg each (I weighed my last lot. So soft panniers with steel rack. ( I like the AS side panels but don’t think they would support a decent size soft pannier.)  

ps how good is the Tenere compared with the AT ! Way too heavy 

Once you add luggage to the AT it starts to become harder to handle in offroad conditions, it's fine on the highway. Tenere has plenty enough power for an adventure bike. 

Not sure what luggage you are trying to strap on, but the Adventurespec racks are extremely strong. Don't let the notion of aluminium construction sway you. Lightweight and strong! ONLY 2kg and rear rack is 1.6 kg.

Edited by Louis
Update information