Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Mono Seat Rack - Photos of underside

007erenet

Photos of underside of T7 Mono Seat Rack (In response to message from member CGras)

Hope this helps Charles - There's not a vast amount of space underneath, but there is a handy little rubber strap to tie stuff over with

DSCF3381.JPG

DSCF3382.JPG

DSCF3383.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CGras said:

Thanks for the great Pictures, they do help a lot actually.

No Problem Charles.

Bear in mind that the mono seat rack has a "5Kg Max" stamped on the top, but it look to me as if it should take at least three or four times that and probably more.

I guess one can fit a extended toolkit there , maby beefjerky would be better ... 🤓

• Like 2

Has anyone fitted a rotopax mount to the mono seat rack? Is it flat enough to mount, and sturdy enough?

th.jpg

30 minutes ago, Duncan666 said:

Has anyone fitted a rotopax mount to the mono seat rack? Is it flat enough to mount, and sturdy enough?

th.jpg

Hi Duncan

The mono seat rack is flat on it's top surface. You'd have to drill through the top surface which is metal and through the plastic underneath that supports it. I would say that it's probably sturdy enough, depending on what you are trying to carry. I've actually fitted a rotopax mount to the inside of my L/H Outback Motortek Pannier Rack, to carry a one US gallon fuel container as per this (Spanish!) U-Tube video -

Regards, Mike

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/4/2020 at 5:55 AM, 007erenet said:

Photos of underside of T7 Mono Seat Rack (In response to message from member CGras)

Hope this helps Charles - There's not a vast amount of space underneath, but there is a handy little rubber strap to tie stuff over with

DSCF3381.JPG

DSCF3382.JPG

DSCF3383.JPG

I have a couple of questions regarding the mono seat rack; about how much room is there for a real world tool kit .  Does it make it harder to remove the front seat?   Thanks

1 gallon Rotopack  full of gas no problem. Yes I had to drill holes. And I wouldn't think nothing of strapping a bag of clothes on top of it.

20200923_122355_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, JohnfromDP said:

I have a couple of questions regarding the mono seat rack; about how much room is there for a real world tool kit .  Does it make it harder to remove the front seat?   Thanks

Enough room for a small toolkit (you'll have to use your own judgement, based on the photo's as to what you can get under there)

The seat rack has to be removed before the front seat locating bolts can be accessed. It comes off in exactly the same way as the standard rear seat

• 1 month later...

I am curious if anyone has dismantled the rear seat and built a solo rack using the seat release components. I am considering doing this. Just curious. Thanks 

• Like 1

By doing that would make a brilliant rear bag/storage attachment, ive strapped a small expandable touratech bag on as fits perfectly.

1FD2B265-F3BC-4B35-8C8A-A8D32A49E211.png

Edited by Matth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr1Wilderness said:

I am curious if anyone has dismantled the rear seat and built a solo rack using the seat release components. I am considering doing this. Just curious. Thanks 

I'm wondering if that's what the Black Dog Helo Pad does?

Now that I know that my wife is comfortable riding on the stock passenger seat for a couple of hours on and off road, I'm motivated to find a way to switch the bike back and forth from a rally seat without a rear rack to a solo seat with a big rear rack for my solo travels. 

Edited by Desert Mariner

17 minutes ago, Desert Mariner said:

I'm wondering if that's what the Black Dog Helo Pad does?

Now that I know that my wife is comfortable riding on the stock passenger seat for a couple of hours on and off road, I'm motivated to find a way to switch the bike back and forth from a rally seat without a rear rack to a solo seat with a big rear rack for my solo travels. 

Yes that’s exactly what I have in mind. I’m gonna give it a try let’s see how it turns out. I can always recover the rear seat if it doesn’t work out. I like the new rack that black dog cycle works has designed but I just can’t afford it right now. Seems like everything cost $200 as far as aftermarket upgrades go! 

I'm thinking that a simple plate with slots for fastenings, and a rotopax adapter would make that a very useful solution. If the remainder of the seat rigid enough?

On 12/21/2020 at 2:57 PM, Mr1Wilderness said:

Well I’m committed now. 

B4B3EC97-B970-451E-88C9-71C955D9E1D9.jpeg

OK here is an update for my homemade mono seat rack. This plate is 3/16 aluminum or just over 4mm thick. I’m not much of a fabricator but I was able to get nice clean cuts using a miter saw and a new blade for cutting aluminum. I simply removed the seat cushion and attached this to it. I will be working on it some more so not quite finished. I’m attaching pictures with my Giant  Loop Klamath tail bag also. Total cost so far is $16 for the aluminum and $60 for the sawblade. 

55CB140B-8E72-4E74-A7D0-29B819A564E5.jpeg

121C61AC-D5F0-4F9A-A641-A3A9A31CB770.jpeg

A196F801-CE17-4878-97B3-755EE91AB3FC.jpeg

26241A20-A4B4-4EB5-8826-2667100DF08F.jpeg

B3CD40C4-D243-47BB-9157-8EA2D2AC9722.jpeg

D32E1DBE-8B62-4EEB-B8FF-6B572E45EF85.jpeg

• Like 9

My only concern with the metal plate would be the edges, wouldn't be nice if it ended up on your leg.

Might be safer if you can bend the edges over.

Thanks for the thought. This is one of the reasons the rack doesn’t extend past the plastic but right now the edges are raw so I still need to round them slightly. I would love to have the ability to bend the aluminum but I don’t know if heating it up would weaken it and if I can even get a decent bend. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the thought. This is one of the reasons the rack doesn’t extend past the plastic but right now the edges are raw so I still need to round them slightly. I would love to have the ability to bend the aluminum but I don’t know if heating it up would weaken it and if I can even get a decent bend. 

Yeah, not the easiest stuff to bend, heat won't really help.

To do it properly it needs to be done in a plate bending machine or if you have a press then you can use a V-block but size might be an issue.

If you cut down any overhang and smooth the edges it should be ok.

I was thinking of doing something similar but ended up knocking up a tube rack that mounted over the seat.

👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I’m just about complete on my homemade solo rack. Here’s some pictures.

2984BE3F-AC0F-4A0B-A0AE-10888E5208E5.jpeg

7946A8F7-6626-4587-966F-9032F6EFBA60.jpeg

403E5C6D-8D8B-4D62-9C50-8FDF563099F2.jpeg

895F4E57-C358-490B-8E0E-0C23BF9B5A96.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mr1Wilderness said:

Well I’m just about complete on my homemade solo rack. Here’s some pictures.

2984BE3F-AC0F-4A0B-A0AE-10888E5208E5.jpeg

7946A8F7-6626-4587-966F-9032F6EFBA60.jpeg

403E5C6D-8D8B-4D62-9C50-8FDF563099F2.jpeg

895F4E57-C358-490B-8E0E-0C23BF9B5A96.jpeg

One more picture showing my GL bag attached.

13E1DBC6-A0DF-46B4-9978-EE28CB831974.jpeg

6EE421EE-56E1-4E0B-87F2-75AEF62C006F.jpeg

• Like 7