Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Air filter performance - damage to engine?!

Jonas

Which performance filter is best for long term performance?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which ome

• K&N oiled filter
    • Unifilter foam oiled filter
    • Paper filter with higher air flow

I came across 3 basic filters.

1. OEM Yamaha Air Filter or paper filters from other manufacturer

2. Unifilter Pre-Oiled Foam Air Filter

3. K&N Air Filter

1. It seems, from reports and You tube, that paper filters protects the engine best, but air can be sucked under the filter if clogged up. You should always use sealing grease (which type???)

2. Can't find any information that oiled foam filter (Unifilter are accepted by Yamaha) will damage the engine in any obvious way. Does anyone, in the forum, have long term experience of oiled foam filter? Should be used off road in dusty areas or on long trips with various condition and trails/roads.

3. Seems to not work properly. Should not be used in dusty areas, only for clean roads, if anywhere ? Small silicon particles seems to pass the filter (you can actually see small holes in the filter behind light). Does anyone have long term experience with K&N filter, with maintained torque and horsepower over the long term?

And last question. I have the Acrapovic system on which should gain 1-2 horsepower and maybe 1 Nm in torque. By adding a performance filter, it might gain additional power, but which one should I use? Filter area must be important, but my main concern are protection to the engine.

1 hour ago, Jonas said:

I came across 3 basic filters.

1. OEM Yamaha Air Filter or paper filters from other manufacturer

2. Unifilter Pre-Oiled Foam Air Filter

3. K&N Air Filter

1. It seems, from reports and You tube, that paper filters protects the engine best, but air can be sucked under the filter if clogged up. You should always use sealing grease (which type???)

2. Can't find any information that oiled foam filter (Unifilter are accepted by Yamaha) will damage the engine in any obvious way. Does anyone, in the forum, have long term experience of oiled foam filter? Should be used off road in dusty areas or on long trips with various condition and trails/roads.

3. Seems to not work properly. Should not be used in dusty areas, only for clean roads, if anywhere ? Small silicon particles seems to pass the filter (you can actually see small holes in the filter behind light). Does anyone have long term experience with K&N filter, with maintained torque and horsepower over the long term?

And last question. I have the Acrapovic system on which should gain 1-2 horsepower and maybe 1 Nm in torque. By adding a performance filter, it might gain additional power, but which one should I use? Filter area must be important, but my main concern are protection to the engine.

Depends what you're using the bike for in my opinion. If off road in dusty conditions, then oiled sponge (non paper) filter. All MX and Enduro bikes use this set up and there's a reason....Reusable with cleaning and they work best for dust.

On road - take your pick.

Rich

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jonas said:

Yes, I as well as many other on the FZ-07 forum have long term experience with the MWR pre-oiled foam filter.  No damage to engine has been reported by use of the MWR Air Filter by any FZ-07 members that I'm aware, and no damage has been reported to BellissiMoto in the thousands of filters they've been selling for all makes and models of bike that I'm aware of either.

As far as power, you should see the extensive dyno testing I've done with MWR against the leading DNA paper filter in this thread:

fz07_sharer_logo.png.3fd3e4f66c84e31060f

Hi everyone... So, its finally time to do my 8K service, and I thought Id change my DNA air filter to a new one. Im pretty particular, so I never just clean, re-oil, and reuse these reusable filters...I just buy a new one. I figured instead of ordering a new DNA filter from Greece (there are no U...

14 minutes ago, pgeldz said:

Yes, I as well as many other on the FZ-07 forum have long term experience with the MWR pre-oiled foam filter.  No damage to engine has been reported by use of the MWR Air Filter by any FZ-07 members that I'm aware, and no damage has been reported to BellissiMoto in the thousands of filters they've been selling for all makes and models of bike that I'm aware of either.

As far as power, you should see the extensive dyno testing I've done with MWR against the leading DNA paper filter in this thread:

fz07_sharer_logo.png.3fd3e4f66c84e31060f

Hi everyone... So, its finally time to do my 8K service, and I thought Id change my DNA air filter to a new one. Im pretty particular, so I never just clean, re-oil, and reuse these reusable filters...I just buy a new one. I figured instead of ordering a new DNA filter from Greece (there are no U...

Do I need to tune the engine fuel/ignition/etc-system (re program the engine control)?

1 hour ago, Jonas said:

Do I need to tune the engine fuel/ignition/etc-system (re program the engine control)?

As Cruzin said, no you don't have to tune the engine for an air filter.  It wouldn't hurt, but it's not necessary. 

• Supporting Vendor
1 hour ago, Jonas said:

No Sir, you don't.  We've sold thousands of these filters without issue 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have used Unifilter on my F8 since 2011. I used the prefilter socks without any adverse affect.

I now have the Unifilter and prefilter on the T7.

I would suggest that any good quality oiled foam filter would be OK.

Experience from enduro days and many years sweep riding says keep your filters cleaned and oiled after every dusty ride.

Edited by Rider 101

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Depends on the riding conditions, i'd stick with a a hiflow paper filter unless you have terrain that is extremely dusty, like Australian conditions, in that case I'd go for a foam filter. 

Living in AZ and going off-road means that I see lots of fine, powdery dust. That crap is notorious for getting past pretty much any paper filter. I'll be using the Uni foam filter and pre-filter. I used the Rottweiler airbox (giant foam filter with prefilter) for over 2 years on my KTM 990 and the intake was always completely clean. That includes some big group rides where you basically eat dust all day. Plus, having the foam be reusable is advantageous since the oil kit for them is typically under $20 and get a ton of uses.

As for what grease, literally ANY grease like axle grease, Vaseline, etc. will do the job. The idea is that it takes up any possible manufacturing tolerances that are slightly off in order to prevent dirty air from going around the filter's sealing surface. It's a trick that has been around forever with dirt bikes.

• Like 3

By the way, the owners manual I got for my US machine states that the OEM air filter is an oiled paper unit. And do not clean it with compressed air.

Edited by ahamay