Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Air box lid warping using foam filter

Browndog74

I forgot to mention, I use a small amount of grease on the 4 hold down screws. I screw them in and out to free up threads. Maybe re-grease till threads run smooth. This will give you a better feel to help prevent over or under tightening. 

Edited by Louis
Update information

Hey Guys...need your guidance on a couple of air filter questions
- does the snorkel itself detach from the plate that it sits in?
- once you've unscrewed and removed the snorkel and plate it sits in how do you actually remove the air filter?
Thanks in advance!

8 minutes ago, Ride & Shine said:

Hey Guys...need your guidance on a couple of air filter questions
- does the snorkel itself detach from the plate that it sits in?
- once you've unscrewed and removed the snorkel and plate it sits in how do you actually remove the air filter?
Thanks in advance!

I found this video 

• Like 1

Hey  Cruizin...thanks for that, I'm assuming the OEM filter seats the same and comes out the same as the foam filter in the vid. When I removed the snorkel and tried to loosen the OEM filter it was wedged in pretty tight, I didn't want to force anything in case I damaged it. I'll give it another go after watching the vid. Thanks again for your help!

• 6 months later...
Not fond of the price, but do like the looks of this unit bolted over my unifilter as a snorkel delete to get this unit breathing free & clear while resolving the oem lid warp woes. 
  A few loonies invested on the outside may save many blown on the inside, way down the dusty road.

Yamaha Ténéré 700 – Air Filter Products

Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Twin Air developed a new Foam Air Filter solution for the Yamaha Ténéré 700. The Twin Air Filter Kit is used as a pre-filter on top of the OEM paper filter as extra protection. The OEM air intake needs to be removed first before installing the Twin Air Filter and aluminum cage.

The installation is very easy using the OEM bolts. By installing the Twin Air filter Kit the airflow will improve and the filter offers more protection from sand, dust and water.

Yamaha Tenere 700 XTZ700 Twin Air Filter 152622P Products Example 1
Yamaha Tenere 700 XTZ700 Twin Air Filter 152622P Products Example 2
Yamaha Tenere 700 XTZ700 Twin Air Filter 152622P Products Example 3
Yamaha Tenere 700 XTZ700 Twin Air Filter 152622P Products Example 4

Twin air Air Filter Yamaha Tenere 700 2020

Twin Air Air Filter Yamaha Tenere 700 2020

177.99 CDN$

Edited by Hammerhead
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

For those who want to have your UNI and eat your snorkel too !   I just installed this excellent product from OMIK (omik.com.au) , took about 2 weeks shipped from Australia to MD, USA !  Very well made, turned the screws down about 1 1/4 turn after they touched.  I put sealing grease on the top of the UNIfilter rubber and in the groove on the snorkel that holds it to the plate.  Great folks, just email them for a shipping quote to the US if it says they don't ship there.

IMG_20211216_153127331.thumb.jpg.91a3a0e830c6f3ac8804fc411978d4aa.jpgIMG_20211216_153200675.thumb.jpg.b91cb004f0c0d6eebb5e31fd1859d4bb.jpg

IMG_20211216_154046129.thumb.jpg.364b01a65b230d08d2aa4daa8d4da155.jpg

IMG_20211216_154049954.thumb.jpg.e390e1436279f5f3434d5869969dde32.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 3:30 AM, Hammerhead said:
Not fond of the price, but do like the looks of this unit bolted over my unifilter as a snorkel delete to get this unit breathing free & clear while resolving the oem lid warp woes. 
  A few loonies invested on the outside may save many blown on the inside, way down the dusty road.

Yamaha Ténéré 700 – Air Filter Products

Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Twin Air developed a new Foam Air Filter solution for the Yamaha Ténéré 700. The Twin Air Filter Kit is used as a pre-filter on top of the OEM paper filter as extra protection. The OEM air intake needs to be removed first before installing the Twin Air Filter and aluminum cage.

The installation is very easy using the OEM bolts. By installing the Twin Air filter Kit the airflow will improve and the filter offers more protection from sand, dust and water.

Yamaha Tenere 700 XTZ700 Twin Air Filter 152622P Products Example 1
Yamaha Tenere 700 XTZ700 Twin Air Filter 152622P Products Example 2
Yamaha Tenere 700 XTZ700 Twin Air Filter 152622P Products Example 3
Yamaha Tenere 700 XTZ700 Twin Air Filter 152622P Products Example 4

Twin Air Air Filter Yamaha Tenere 700 2020

177.99 CDN$

Quick question, is there a spring under that "top hat" filter to hold it up.

A few people locally have mentioned that when they forgot to add the internal spring to unifilter prefilter (posted by KTM2Smoker above) that the filter inverted and performance went through the floor until they stopped and fixed it.

If you were talking about the red UNI prefilter shown in the OMIK install above, yes, there is definitely a spring that came with it.  I can easily see that sucking in and stopping most airflow without the spring installed.

Edited by KTM2smoker
  • Like 1

Negative @Wizbang , no spring under the twin air top hat & it hasn’t been inhaled yet. The combination of 2WDW ecu flash plus trading out the stock snorkel for this unit delivered enough performance upgrade & dirt/water protection that I’ve since recovered from the insane sticker shock. Mileage has taken a hit though, burning about 1/2 ltr more per 100km since. Performance increases simply cost more fuel, but no regrets. 

I’ve heard the same stories of the Uni snorkel pre-filter being inhaled without their springs too & it apparently does bag the power substantially if so.  2WDW insists the stock snorkel must go entirely to get this bike breathing free enough for their tune. I didn’t question it but wanted something to limit dust & possible water infiltration from the main filter. There are likely more affordable solutions to the snorkel delete that would get equal results. Seen some nifty printed air box lids for high flow but they forego any pre-filtering action.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

Negative @Wizbang , no spring under the twin air top hat & it hasn’t been inhaled yet. The combination of 2WDW ecu flash plus trading out the stock snorkel for this unit delivered enough performance upgrade & dirt/water protection that I’ve since recovered from the insane sticker shock. Mileage has taken a hit though, burning about 1/2 ltr more per 100km since. Performance increases simply cost more fuel, but no regrets. 

I’ve heard the same stories of the Uni snorkel pre-filter being inhaled without their springs too & it apparently does bag the power substantially if so.  2WDW insists the stock snorkel must go entirely to get this bike breathing free enough for their tune. I didn’t question it but wanted something to limit dust & possible water infiltration from the main filter. There are likely more affordable solutions to the snorkel delete that would get equal results. Seen some nifty printed air box lids for high flow but they forego any pre-filtering action.

Yep I am one of those with nifty 3d printed air box lid. Agreed snorkel fully removed and the new lid has a larger opening, and lip straight upwards to be able to put the UniFilter prefilter on top. I also use an oil pool filter on top of that for multi day rides. Remove oiled pool filter after first day, remove prefilter after second day etc etc.

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wizbang said:

Yep I am one of those with nifty 3d printed air box lid. Agreed snorkel fully removed and the new lid has a larger opening, and lip straight upwards to be able to put the UniFilter prefilter on top. I also use an oil pool filter on top of that for multi day rides. Remove oiled pool filter after first day, remove prefilter after second day etc etc.

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

Cool, I like this idea. They weren’t a thing yet when I got sucked into the overpriced twin air unit. Your Aussie bikes also came stock with a foam Uni Filter main, ya? Rather than the cheesy paper ones the rest of us got. I’ve swapped that out too.

Have you had your fuel mapping tuned for this setup? Suspect it’ll be running lean if not. 

• 10 months later...
On 12/17/2021 at 1:13 AM, Wizbang said:

IMG_2482.jpg

Hello Wizbang,

any chance I can buy one of these off you?  And I saw an earlier version you printed with more of a cone shaped inlet to smooth the airflow, have you tried something inbetween the two?

Look forward to hearing back from you, cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Just added a billet airbox lid from Dyno Jet! Man what a difference! Running a full Arrow Titanium system airbox and two wheel dyno works flash! T7 rips! 

20221129_094049.jpg

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will long to return!