Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Speedo error

Pockey

The Tenere has a 10% error build in to the speedo so if you are doing 100 mph you are actually doing 90mph. Is there any way of making that read more accurately 

Yes, with a speedo corrector like the SpeedoHealer.

All speedos on road registerable vehicles over read from standard, but the odometers should be accurate.

I just use a GPS to check speedo over read then remember when riding eg. 10% over read is an indicated speed of 110km/h when you're really doing 100kmh. 55km/h is really 50km/h and so on.

On my last bike (FZR 1000A) I had something like 3% and it was acceptable since only impacts are speed indication, mileage indicates more distance than actual and shorten maintenance interval. 

I think that there must be a way for a proper calibration directly factory as there are always uncontrollable factors like tires. Having 10% error is a bit much.  Even a cheap bike speed indicator has a calibration built in. How hard can it be for Yamaha to include this?

Here is the link to SpeedoHealer: https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/sh/

Question: Is it only the speed indicator that has the 10% error, or is it also the mileage indicator? 

Sometimes the odometer is fine and only indicated speed is the problem.

Edited by MGG

You can correct this with ABS ring... On my supermoto I have cut new rings and corrected the speedo and it read within 2-3 miles per hour.

I am cutting some rings for @AndyJ as a favour for his MT07 wheels to correct this for his SM setup. 

Could cut some for people if there is enough interest in them I can price them and see where it takes us.

Please let me know if this is the case.

Regards,

Aleks 

• Thanks 1

If the actual mileage indicator is fine, there is no point in correcting this ... since you might get a correct speedo with an inaccurate odometer. 

Can someone confirm if the odometer has the same 10% discrepancy?

Hi, I can confirm the speedo and ODO read 10% more than actual.

Just tested OEM 46 window ABS ring with 2 x GPS and indicated speed of 100km/h, was 90km/h on both GPS.

Having a bit of time on my hands, I managed to fabricate a 44 window ABS ring.

The 44 window worked but only corrected the speed by 5km/h.

Indicated speed on display- 100km/h, GPS now reading 95km/h.

I guess it's back to the Drawing board/Dremal to make a 42 window ABS ring.

BTW, the test was done with a New DUNLOP D606 front tyre.

44 abs drilled.jpg

46 44 ABS rings.jpg

• Like 6

• Premium Member

This is an interesting topic and innovative solution set!

I know motorcycle speedos have been out for decades and decades, normal solution was to use a speedo healer, which usualy improved speedo accuracy, but decreased odometer accuracy (as the odometers *normally* are calibrated correctly, for maintenance and re-sale vehicle odo readings) 

On  my past 4 wheeled vehicles with speedo errors, a way to re-program the ecu was the way to go with calibrating the speedo and odometer at the same time.

However, changing the abs rings.....
Very interesting!
I'm curious, do you guys have to replace both the front and rear abs rings?  
Do both front and rear abs rings have the same number of windows?   (ie lets say the FZ07 has 40 windows on the front abs ring, does the rear also have 4 windows? )  is this the norm? 

Tazmool

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Disco said:

Just tested OEM 46 window ABS ring with 2 x GPS and indicated speed of 100km/h, was 90km/h on both GPS.

44 abs drilled.jpg

46 44 ABS rings.jpg

42 should do it .. They look good I'm glad the files worked OK for you. 

Aleks 

21 minutes ago, Tazmool said:

This is an interesting topic and innovative solution set!

I know motorcycle speedos have been out for decades and decades, normal solution was to use a speedo healer, which usualy improved speedo accuracy, but decreased odometer accuracy (as the odometers *normally* are calibrated correctly, for maintenance and re-sale vehicle odo readings) 

On  my past 4 wheeled vehicles with speedo errors, a way to re-program the ecu was the way to go with calibrating the speedo and odometer at the same time.

However, changing the abs rings.....
Very interesting!
I'm curious, do you guys have to replace both the front and rear abs rings?  
Do both front and rear abs rings have the same number of windows?   (ie lets say the FZ07 has 40 windows on the front abs ring, does the rear also have 4 windows? )  is this the norm? 

Tazmool

The front and rear are the same.. You only need front as the reading for the speedo is done there but and the ecu is programmed to read the difference between the diameter of the wheels.

My 17 17 wheels have a 4 slot difference although the wheels are the same size and abs and speedo works as before and more accurate. I had to change both. Hope this helps 

Aleks 

Edited by Aleksandar13

@Aleksandar13 Thanks for sending the files. As I was not able to find anyone local to laser Cut it, I had to manually mark-out/drill and grind by hand to make the ring. It took some time but the cost was almost nothing.

I will be making a 42 window ring as I think this will correct the speed 100%.

If you start making 42 window ABS rings, I think you will sell many.

Cheers, Disco

• Like 2

Just now, Disco said:

@Aleksandar13 Thanks for sending the files. As I was not able to find anyone local to laser Cut it, I had to manually mark-out/drill and grind by hand to make the ring. It took some time but the cost was almost nothing.

I will be making a 42 window ring as I think this will correct the speed 100%.

If you start making 42 window ABS rings, I think you will sell many.

Cheers, Disco

Hi Disco,

If there is enough interest on the forum I can definitely put something together and make it happen. 

Aleks 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem - sucks. But changing the ABS ring - I guess that will reduce the accuracy of the ABS signal, or am I wrong? Would appreciate if wheel diameter could be adjusted in the main menu (like KTM or others). The healtech solution is the only option for me - but I think it's not yet available. 

On 5/8/2020 at 12:23 AM, Disco said:

44 abs drilled.jpg

46 44 ABS rings.jpg

Any updates on this? Im interested in what you come up with. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Any updates on this? Im interested in what you come up with. 

I should have a 42 slot ring cut  for the T700 need to check and could get it to someone in UK if interested for testing. 

It will definitely work but we don't know yet by how much it will reduce the speed error.. On my SM build like I said I have a reading of 2 to 3 miles per hour over which I am happy with. 

Aleks 

Edited by Aleksandar13
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone got into the original equipment programming yet for speedo correction?

seems that yamaha uses the programmed in size of a 17" tire instead of a 21"

• Like 1

• Moderators

I believe its based off the ABS rings, and is overclocked by design. Its just calculating the gaps in the ring to measure speed, and the only way around this besides cutting a new ring is to add a “speedometer healer” type device to adjust the conversion - which to my knowledge doesn’t exist yet. After that I’m in over my head as far as hacking into the computer itself. 

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

1 minute ago, tenerecanada said:

I believe its based off the ABS rings, and is overclocked by design. Its just calculating the gaps in the ring to measure speed, and the only way around this besides cutting a new ring is to add a “speedometer healer” type device to adjust the conversion - which to my knowledge doesn’t exist yet. After that I’m in over my head as far as hacking into the computer itself. 

The heal tech website is a problem to visit right now, which may be a good thing as their quick shifter is calling to me!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Colddog said:

The heal tech website is a problem to visit right now, which may be a good thing as their quick shifter is calling to me!

I've sent some ABS rings to @AndyJto test on the 21 inch wheel for speedo correction... Once he has messaged me what the actual size is that is required I can supply these if there is enough interest. 

Mine on 17 inch wheels reads 2 3 miles per h more which for me is ideal. 

Aleks 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have fabricated a 42 window ring and will be testing it today, if it’s not raining.

will post results as soon as I can.

cheers, Disco.

• Like 4

Well it looks like 42 is the magic number for this fix. Speedo was reading within 1km/h high- Displaying 100km/h and GPS showing 99km/h.

However, The ABS light was ON the whole time.😟

This is probably due to the now large difference in the front to rear abs readings. (I still have the 46 window on the rear)

This should be an easy fix by just changing the rear ABS ring. I will change it with my home made 44 window and re-test.

Can anyone tell me - When the ABS light is ON like in the above fault situation, IS IT NOW TURNED OFF?

I will try to get out and test this before I change the rear ABS ring but if it is OFF, I might just place a black sticker over the light and forget that the bike even has ABS.

cheers,Disco

I will try to test the ABS rotors on my 21" front wheel tomorrow, I have 46, 43 and 42 space rotors care of Aleks and I will try to get a comparison between each of them at 60mph if work permits!

4 hours ago, Disco said:

Well it looks like 42 is the magic number for this fix. Speedo was reading within 1km/h high- Displaying 100km/h and GPS showing 99km/h.

This is probably due to the now large difference in the front to rear abs readings. (I still have the 46 window on the rear)

This should be an easy fix by just changing the rear ABS ring. I will change it with my home made 44 window and re-test.

Can anyone tell me - When the ABS light is ON like in the above fault situation, IS IT NOW TURNED OFF?

I will try to get out and test this before I change the rear ABS ring but if it is OFF, I might just place a black sticker over the light and forget that the bike even has ABS.

cheers,Disco

Interesting comments about the ABS lights.

I was testing my 17" wheel set up yesterday on a 60 mile trip.  I set the gap between the ABS sensor and rotor too high so the light came on which I ignored - after 50 miles or so the engine management light came on and stayed on. 

I'm hopping that goes off tomorrow when I put my 21"/18" original wheels on to start testing the rotors from Aleks - if not is off for a confesion session with my friendly Yamaha dealer when they reopen!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Disco said:

cheers,Disco

Hi Disco,

If you have sorted the front with 42 I think the back needs to be 4 slots bigger to keep the relationship the same for the computer... mine on 17 inch wheels are working with no issues and I have 38 front and 42 back which works for speedo and ABS.

46 and 42 should not throw a light in my opinion as it is the same percentage between front and back .. 

Aleks 

Thanks Alex’s, I will check the gap between the sensor and the ring before I change anything.

Can anyone tell me What gap they have with the stock ring to sensor?

cheers, Disco

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Disco said:

Thanks Alex’s, I will check the gap between the sensor and the ring before I change anything.

Can anyone tell me What gap they have with the stock ring to sensor?

cheers, Disco

Hi Disco,

I think I know what it is... you need 42 on the back as well..then the ecu unit of the ABS will have the difference between front and back the same and it will work... I am 99% sure 🙂 

• Like 3