Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Just got a text from my dealer

Cruizin

We will see. My regional Yamaha Representitive said that we needed emails and addresses and official $500 deposits turned in to them by Monday. So I dont know if they are going to email you/send you something? Not sure yet. Just doing what we are told.

This is his reply. Looks like we are getting really close in the USA!  I hope they send me a vin number and delivery date! 

Took Canada almost 7 months after pre-order opened up to even get bikes, I love the optimism of Americans in seeming to get the bike days or weeks after they pre-order, let alone months in times like this, bit of an illusion 

Edited by ScorpionT16

4 hours ago, ScorpionT16 said:

Took Canada almost 7 months after pre-order opened up to even get bikes, I love the optimism of Americans in seeming to get the bike days or weeks after they pre-order, let alone months in times like this, bit of an illusion 

I have confirmed that the first batch of USA preorders arrive in June. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

And I notice that a % of your posts are condescending and of a critical nature. 

I have confirmed that the first batch of USA preorders arrive in June. I paid my deposit a year ago. 

Okay, I'm just trying to be a realist. I'm not superior to anyone here, just a rider like all, I hope everyone who wants the bike in the US gets it on time. 

Edited by ScorpionT16
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

This is good news for the North American market, 
I'm sure Yamaha would not ignore this continent for too long, there are sales to be made! 

I bet the only real limitation will be production capacity.  

Tazmool

The first batch out of Japan are all on the ocean, or on the docks. Then they closed the plant due to Covid19. I think some of the people in the USA who preordered early will get our bikes, and some who preordered later won't.

Unlike USA, Yamaha Canada had a nice official preorder, and you guys got nice bags and a level of communication. For some reason, we didn't get anything like that. My dealer swears that there is a live preorder going on Monday. Which would be pretty damned late in the game if the bike is coming in June. Even my dealer doesn't know what that means. 

But I just talked to another dealer back east who doesn't know anything abot any preorder at all. Hell, some have reported that their dealers havent even heard of the Tenere 700 in the first place. 

Clearly, Yamaha doesn't like or prioritize doing business in the United States for some reason. EPA? American dealers? American consumers? I dunno. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Honestly, 

I think its just a "botched" launch....  
Fingers will be pointed, feelings hurt etc. 
Circumstances, pandemics...... the best laid plans of mice and men.....

Why Canada would get different treatment, it seems the Japanese motorcycle makers treat Canada more like an extension of Europe (in a way, like a tiny little country just floating in the Baltic Sea or something, our population numbers and market is tiny)

We get European colors, and often European features on the bikes (often to our detriment) 
For example, Yamaha bikes sold in Canada, get the European key immobilizers with very expensive chipped keys, the ECU's are different from the USA ones, all of which plays havoc with modding or flashing the ecu.  And it really sux to pay a fortune for a spare programmable key and have a dealer charge an arm and a leg to marry the key to your ECU.....

In all the Tenere 700 videos, I see the flashing "key" symbol when the bike is off.  This is usually not there on the USA bikes.  I know the R6 and FJR1300 Canadian bikes have immobilizers, and USA ones do not.

I'm curious if the US ecu flashers will have any issues with Canadian bike ecu's?
It took 12 weeks for a usa shop to figure out and flash my canadian VFR ecu, thank goodness it was over the winter. 

And... if you don't know that USA and Canadian bikes don't have the same ECU's and keys, and immobilizers... and you happen to flash your ecu in the USA.... be prepared for a dead bike, and have to spend a fortune for another ecu.... (ask me how I know, I have a nice dead R6 in my garage that has not ran in 2 years.... no time or energy to get it back right now.... one day....) 

The only USA bikes that I would say are worse off than Canadian bikes (again I owned these so I know) is California compliant bikes.  
My old Suzuki B-King was a USA bike, all of which were California compliant bikes, and they got super bad ignition timing, crappy fuel maps, pressurized fuel tanks, charcoal canisters affectionatly called rocket-launchers on the side of the engine, and other horrible performance robbing features added on.  
Speaking of botched launches, the B-King was a wonderful bike, suffering from bad timing and a bad lauch.....  

But, at any rate, the bikes are coming, and sunny days ahead!

Tazmool

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tazmool said:

Honestly, 

I think its just a "botched" launch....  
Fingers will be pointed, feelings hurt etc. 
Circumstances, pandemics...... the best laid plans of mice and men.....

Why Canada would get different treatment, it seems the Japanese motorcycle makers treat Canada more like an extension of Europe (in a way, like a tiny little country just floating in the Baltic Sea or something, our population numbers and market is tiny)

We get European colors, and often European features on the bikes (often to our detriment) 
For example, Yamaha bikes sold in Canada, get the European key immobilizers with very expensive chipped keys, the ECU's are different from the USA ones, all of which plays havoc with modding or flashing the ecu.  And it really sux to pay a fortune for a spare programmable key and have a dealer charge an arm and a leg to marry the key to your ECU.....

In all the Tenere 700 videos, I see the flashing "key" symbol when the bike is off.  This is usually not there on the USA bikes.  I know the R6 and FJR1300 Canadian bikes have immobilizers, and USA ones do not.

I'm curious if the US ecu flashers will have any issues with Canadian bike ecu's?
It took 12 weeks for a usa shop to figure out and flash my canadian VFR ecu, thank goodness it was over the winter. 

And... if you don't know that USA and Canadian bikes don't have the same ECU's and keys, and immobilizers... and you happen to flash your ecu in the USA.... be prepared for a dead bike, and have to spend a fortune for another ecu.... (ask me how I know, I have a nice dead R6 in my garage that has not ran in 2 years.... no time or energy to get it back right now.... one day....) 

The only USA bikes that I would say are worse off than Canadian bikes (again I owned these so I know) is California compliant bikes.  
My old Suzuki B-King was a USA bike, all of which were California compliant bikes, and they got super bad ignition timing, crappy fuel maps, pressurized fuel tanks, charcoal canisters affectionatly called rocket-launchers on the side of the engine, and other horrible performance robbing features added on.  
Speaking of botched launches, the B-King was a wonderful bike, suffering from bad timing and a bad lauch.....  

But, at any rate, the bikes are coming, and sunny days ahead!

Tazmool

Very interesting, thanks for sharing, did not know this. 

Would you know if Honda follows similar suite? The CB500X has a HISS, Honda Ignition Security System with the matched keys, however the Canadian and USA bikes did not. I have a CB500X now, and that's how I found out. Does the T7 have something similar? 

I hope everyone who anticiapted the bikes since last year and however they ordered a bike, in US or CDN, get it and enjoy the rides! The benefit a lot of Americans have, is in some parts they can ride year round and extract all the juice the T7 offers. I'll be lucky to even get 4 months of decent weather before snow hits again here

Edited by ScorpionT16

2wheeldynoworks has been flashing Canadian and USA and Euro MT07's for years. In their section, they already addressed that they have the tunes for the T7 for Canada, USA and Europe and that the codes are the same as the MT07. 

Just gotta give em the serial number off your ECU and what changes you want made. 

• Premium Member

ScorptionT16, 
My VFR-X did not have the hiss system, its ecu was different from the USA version, however the shop I was dealing with was able to crack it and subsequently tune it for me.  It made a very significant difference and was worth the cost and huge waiting time. 

As far as I can tell, the European T7's do have the immobilizer (and matched keys, a system similar to hondas hiss) I would not be surprised at all if the Canadian T7's will have the same immobilizer system.  I am quite confident that the USA bikes will not.
Unless something drastically changes with Yamaha (but it would be a cost savings for Yamaha to not include that feature)

I'll have to check the Australian reviews and keep an eye out for a dash video of a bike that is off (thats when the flashing key symbol will appear if the immobilizer is installed, I'm pretty sure Australian T7s are made in Japan?  

My '17 FJR1300 had the immobilizer, and because of the Ivan's Performance would not flash the ecu, and they infact changed their website to reflect that they cannot do usa & canadian bikes, they can just do usa bikes.  They made it quite clear that the Canadian market was too small to put in the effort to crack the ecu.  The usa and canadian ecu's were also different part numbers. 

Cruizin, 
Thanks for the info, I'm glad that 2wheeldynoworks can do Canadian T7s (as they claim) however they have not seen a Canadian T7 yet, so there may be some strange differences (hopefully not, having an ecu flash is definitely on top of my "to-do" list for my T7) having ecu flashed many times, its definitely worth it in my book.

Tazmool

• Like 1

My dealer in Oklahoma told me today his Rep said June deliveries are still on. He mentioned nothing of a pre-order on Monday. Monday may just be the day they can finally start to populate the order system. 

I am wondering if a month or so ago when the Reps were checking with dealers about how many hard deposits they had if that was the "unofficial" pre-order. For bikes to get here and be delivered in June I would guess they are already built and somewhere in transportation. 

I may have jinxed people. I may have to stop buying new bikes.  My Tsunami S10, and Earthquake AT are parked out in the garage. And now a Coronavirus T700...

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

Yamaha Reps probably can only speculate . . . they are kept in the dark like the dealers.  We will probably get an email from the website signup . . . when they can get 2021 models setup in the order system.  

Maybe it is some kind of glitch in their model master for a leap year.   

2021 White T7, 2019 MT-7, 2021 CRF300 Rally, ‘14 V-Strom 1000 Adventure

10 hours ago, Simmons1 said:

I may have jinxed people. I may have to stop buying new bikes.  My Tsunami S10, and Earthquake AT are parked out in the garage. And now a Coronavirus T700...

Dammit man...give us others some hope 🤒😷🤣

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, slakdawg said:

Dammit man...give us others some hope 🤒😷🤣

I learned on the other two bikes that good things come to those who wait. 👍

Edited by Simmons1
  • Like 1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

• Premium Member

Ref immobiliser chat.

The UK/Europe T7 comes with / has 3 functioning keys:

2 BLACK keys and a 1 RED (programmer) key.

You ride using only black key(s). The Red (programmer) key is only needed to (self / DIY) programme (new/more) Black keys using your Red key.

Lose black keys is ok, never ride with or lose the ECU matched master programmer Red key.  

Best wishes 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Guess which key(s) I'm missing.....  

One black, and one Red key 😡

All I have is one black key the bike came with when I originally bought it.

And I have a USA firmware flashed ECU....

Double dang it!

Poor R6 will wait till I figure this one out (someday when I have the time, far too many projects, including the pending T7)

Tazmool

Any update on if they got it preordered for you today? I tried calling a few places and they had no idea :/ 

6 minutes ago, Flyinbrianbmx said:

Any update on if they got it preordered for you today? I tried calling a few places and they had no idea 😕

Pre-order opens this Friday. Any deposits taken to date is just a note on a scrap of paper and doesn't mean squat for any sort of official order.

5 minutes ago, slakdawg said:

Pre-order opens this Friday. Any deposits taken to date is just a note on a scrap of paper and doesn't mean squat for any sort of official order.

Good to know thank you! 

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, slakdawg said:

I really dislike to say this: 

but from that website info.....

I believe that you are right in that deposits that dealers have do not mean any priority. All it means is you don’t have to arrange get the dealer the deposit. They had your money all that time and you were not in a que, the que start a at noon on Friday. 

It is a first come first serve on Friday until all of the stock of PDP bikes are allocated by that website.

What a US mess.

USA dealers have been so shifty in the past and still Shiite and crappy that even the Yamaha website warns them to not be fraudulent by trying to get these bikes as showroom stock.

You US guys are on your own come noon Friday.  

Hope you all get an allocation from Yamaha.

Your dealers are a disgrace.

Yamaha open up the site and it is a free for all.

Best wishes.

I don’t buy that this fiasco is on the dealers.

Sounds like Yamaha is not believing the demand for this bike and wants to disregard the number of people that have in deposits.

This is why they went around under the table asking dealers how many people had in deposits.

Now they accuse their own dealers of dishonesty.

Yamaha USA has not been up front on this Preorder from the start. 

...or they would have had A preorder program like Canada 🇨🇦 with this all been up front.

Edited by Guest

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, gone2seed said:

I don’t buy that this fiasco is on the dealers.

Sounds like Yamaha is not believing the demand for this bike and wants to disregard the number of people that have in deposits.

This is why they went around under the table asking dealers how many people had in deposits.

Now they accuse their own dealers of dishonesty.

Yamaha USA has not been up front on this Preorder from the start. 

The fact is, it is a mess! Regardless of buying.
Hope all goes well