Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Has anyone tried a full exhaust? or just a header replacement?

Tazmool

• Premium Member

Hello Everyone, 

Something I have been wondering about, 
The T7 has the catalytic converter in the header, to get rid of it (and remove some weight & restriction) you would need to replace the header pipe.

Has anyone replaced the header?  (is it possible to do this with out removing the radiator?)

What is the weight savings? (if any)
If using the stock muffler, did the exhaust noise level go up? 
I'm guessing an ecu flash is necessary to compensate for the extra flow? 

Any other advantages to doing this? 

Any thoughts and experiences welcome!

Tazmool

• Like 1

This engine is same as the MT07, and on that bike you can gain up to 9-10 hp by changing exhaust and having the "right" matched tune flashed to the ECU.  Over on the MT07 forum, @2 Wheel DynoWorks has flashed over a thousand of these bikes and has tunes and dyno charts for many of the most common exhausts. This forum will be full of their dyn charts as soon as they/we get our bikes here in a few weeks. 

Here is a dyno chart for their MT07 (again same engine) Graves full titanium exhaust/matched tune package. 9 hp increase, good Tq increase as well. 

fz07-gravesfull titnium.jpg

Stock is 63 hp. Any dyno shop that claims more power stock is running an uncalibrated dyno with BS numbers. Believe me, 2wdw's dyno is always calibrated on spec.   They can get us up around 70 hp or more, but still in the safe zone. 

As far as weight savings? We don't know yet. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Thanks for the info, those are some pretty nice gains from a full exhaust and ecu flash. 
If the noise level increase is small, I think that will be in the cards for my Future T7.   I would like to retain a relatively quiet (close to oem) sound so the bike is still fun to ride long distances. 

I am thinking primarily of the weight savings, the tucked up exhaust (high exit pipe) and reduced heat by not having the catalytic converters in the header.  This would be achieved with the Huzar high pipe I already have, and some kind of de-cat header (possibly even just a y-pipe where you cut off the cats and slip on a link pipe, my R6 was done this way)

This would end up with a bit of a frankenstein exhaust (so no exact match ecu flash), but it would achieve the tri-goals of, not expensive, high exit pipe, and removed cats.  Power gains would be icing and a side benefit (I am definitely going to get a ecu flash with or without the header change) 

Tazmool

13 minutes ago, Tazmool said:

Thanks for the info, those are some pretty nice gains from a full exhaust and ecu flash. 
If the noise level increase is small, I think that will be in the cards for my Future T7.   I would like to retain a relatively quiet (close to oem) sound so the bike is still fun to ride long distances. 

I am thinking primarily of the weight savings, the tucked up exhaust (high exit pipe) and reduced heat by not having the catalytic converters in the header.  This would be achieved with the Huzar high pipe I already have, and some kind of de-cat header (possibly even just a y-pipe where you cut off the cats and slip on a link pipe, my R6 was done this way)

This would end up with a bit of a frankenstein exhaust (so no exact match ecu flash), but it would achieve the tri-goals of, not expensive, high exit pipe, and removed cats.  Power gains would be icing and a side benefit (I am definitely going to get a ecu flash with or without the header change) 

Tazmool

Well no. the noise increase with full exhasut will be quite louder than stock. And thats why Im considering staying stock but still getting the ECU flashed.  @2 Wheel DynoWorks do you have a stock exhaust fz07 dyno chart to share? 

14 minutes ago, Tazmool said:

I am not sure maybe others can relate but mine has a slip on that is qualified as a race Exhaust and it is on the loud side, wouldn't want to go on the motorway for hours with the bike.. But there is always a but and maybe @Cruizin can help tell us if the bike is quieter with a tune?

I had other cars that had a tune and went quiet even with full 3 inch exhaust and no cats being Naturally aspirated.. If this is the case on the cp2 engine would interesting to know. 

Aleks 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I know a full race exhaust can be very, very loud, been there, done that. 
However, in the past, I have matched a street aftermarket muffler, and a "race" header, and ended up with a bike that was reasonably quiet (could be toured on easily) yet still had nice weight savings and power bump.   

I can see a proper tune lowering the exhaust noise a bit, going from lean, and popping, to proper rumble would be an improvement.  

One advantage of the cp2 engine is that it does not appear to have a pair system, os that is one less thing to mod/worry about (and no popping sound with pipe change)

I think the exhaust setup I'm going to try is the Huzar high exhaust, and Dominator header, with 2wdw ecu flash.  
That is once my bike shows up, is broken in well, and I am ready to tinker with it a bit (instead of riding it) 

So, its going to be a while 😉

Tazmool

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tazmool said:

However, in the past, I have matched a street aftermarket muffler, and a "race" header, and ended up with a bike that was reasonably quiet (could be toured on easily) yet still had nice weight savings and power bump.   

I can see a proper tune lowering the exhaust noise a bit, going from lean, and popping, to proper rumble would be an improvement.  

One advantage of the cp2 engine is that it does not appear to have a pair system, os that is one less thing to mod/worry about (and no popping sound with pipe change)

I think the exhaust setup I'm going to try is the Huzar high exhaust, and Dominator header, with 2wdw ecu flash.  
That is once my bike shows up, is broken in well, and I am ready to tinker with it a bit (instead of riding it) 

Tazmool

I have not considered a full system yet as I want to get the Air Filter and tune first with the current exhaust and see where this takes me..also not to worried about couple of hp to be honest...more about getting rid of the dip in power @9k rpm and being safe with the engine.. 🙂 

On 5/18/2020 at 10:46 PM, Tazmool said:

Tazmool

Tazmool, Has your T7 been delivered to you yet?
Do you have your Huzar Exhaust mounted ? It looks nice enough.

What are your thoughts on if it might burn my boot or my plastic?

I'm still waiting for my blue bike to arrive but I did get the free gift bag today 🙂
I own an XSR900 and modified my stock exhaust quite a bit. The next step for it would have been to remove the cat while keeping the oem system. I could easily just hog out the cat on the 900. I have not seen the T7 yet...

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Aleksandar13, I agree a few extra hp is not really worth pursuing at great cost, however a few extra hp and above that, better fueling is worth looking into. 

My goal with swapping out some exhaust bits is to reduce some weight, but primarily to get the exhaust out of the way (thats why I got my Huzar high exit pipe) and the header, just for fun, get rid of the cats and the heat they throw out (maybe a tad less weight too)  

DoYouLikeItHere, I don't have my T7 yet, hoping it will show up soon, but my dealer still knows nothing.
I don't think the high pipe will be in the way of the boots or luggage (it seems to be tucked out of the way well enough) but I won' t know for sure until I have the bike and the pipe is mounted.  A lot has to happen between that and where I'm at now (which is no bike in garage) 

Tazmool

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tazmool said:

Aleksandar13, I agree a few extra hp is not really worth pursuing at great cost, however a few extra hp and above that, better fueling is worth looking into. 

My goal with swapping out some exhaust bits is to reduce some weight, but primarily to get the exhaust out of the way (thats why I got my Huzar high exit pipe) and the header, just for fun, get rid of the cats and the heat they throw out (maybe a tad less weight too)  

DoYouLikeItHere, I don't have my T7 yet, hoping it will show up soon, but my dealer still knows nothing.
I don't think the high pipe will be in the way of the boots or luggage (it seems to be tucked out of the way well enough) but I won' t know for sure until I have the bike and the pipe is mounted.  A lot has to happen between that and where I'm at now (which is no bike in garage) 

Tazmool

Good luck with the project... Look forward to seeing your set-up and how it performs. 

Aleks 

• 5 months later...

On the two S10's I have owned, I have cut the exhaust header in half and removed the cat, had a local shop reweld it, then installed a Delkevic slip on for weight savings. It's a cheaper alternative to a header pipe. Just remember to apply some reference marks on the pipe so it can be realigned for welding. Some videos out there showing the process...

• Like 1

Yes. I am currently running av MIVV front pipe and open akra silencer. Working good with stock map, better with dynojet mapping. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Salamander said:

Yes. I am currently running av MIVV front pipe and open akra silencer. Working good with stock map, better with dynojet mapping. 

Are you using the Dynojet Powervision 3? What is your overall opinion?

2 hours ago, Salamander said:

Yes, PV3. Working good, very advanced for adjustment. Good support for Dynojet US

So with no cat, a slip on and a remap, is it a significant improvement in terms of power?

I assume that more than peak power its the additional torque low down? And the snatcht throttle is gone?

I installed the SC-Project titanium header.  For now, I am running the stock muffler, but have the Ti SC-Concept Rally Raid muffler on order.

The weight saving was tremendous.  (I did not weigh anything.)  

Rally Raid Ti muffler Weight 2.7Kg.  (Stock is 4.9KG, so that's a 2.2Kg difference.)

Ti header -1,65 Kg (Stock 3,4 Kg making a 1,75 Kg difference)

Gross difference is 3.95 Kg or almost 9 pounds.

I also had the ECU tuned for this set-up and was told that the stock muffler is not where the restriction lies, rather it's in the header/cat.  So my tune would be the same for the stock muffler and the SC-Project.  2 Wheel Dynoworks was my tune of choice.

The results are amazing.

Sound.  Hard to describe.  But not much louder.  Maybe a little.  Certainly not loud/obnoxious.  It's a good tone.  But the bike does sound meaner.  And it revs QUICK. If I had to describe the sound, it's "exotic".  The tone coming from the motor is music.  I hear the new SC can will not be any louder than stock with the dB Killer in.

If you think the bike is fun to ride now (and I did), it's REALLY fun with this tune/set-up.  I am definitely pleased with the decision.

And no, removing the radiator was not necessary.  And the bike runs MUCH cooler.  175-180 degrees F

The only downside is that the SC-Project ti header was a little larger in diameter.  So I had to take the stock muffler to a muffler shop to have it enlarged a bit.  This caused a little issue with the stock muffler clamp.  But I finally got it on and clamped onto the header. but if you go with the entire (expensive) SC-Project set-up this won't be an issue.

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

Edited by ride2little
  • Like 5

lol at the mechanic that did those pipes...lawl

your right/throttle side header isnt flush (do i see a replacement bolt? maybe just lighting), and those 4 flaps fit perfect into other pipes...hence your clamp problem. you might not have the little spacer in there either.... you might want your old one in there or get a new one.

(B71-14755-00-00

ive done 10+ mt-07 muffs and 4-5 tenere 700's. so i'm not just trolling.

Edited by blazzin

10 hours ago, Spuzvica said:

So with no cat, a slip on and a remap, is it a significant improvement in terms of power?

I assume that more than peak power its the additional torque low down? And the snatcht throttle is gone?

Yes, more power all over the rev range. I don't know with other brand headers, but the MIVV keeps low end, as the pipes are tapered. I also removed airbox intake cover.

Snatchy throttle is better, but this was never a big issue for me. With PV3 you can remove fuelcut at decel wich helps alot.

If you can talk a certified Yamaha shop into upping the CO value, bike runs alot smoother, without the cost of the PV3

• Like 1

9 hours ago, blazzin said:

lol at the mechanic that did those pipes...lawl

your right/throttle side header isnt flush (do i see a replacement bolt? maybe just lighting), and those 4 flaps fit perfect into other pipes...hence your clamp problem. you might not have the little spacer in there either.... you might want your old one in there or get a new one.

(B71-14755-00-00

ive done 10+ mt-07 muffs and 4-5 tenere 700's. so i'm not just trolling.

I was the mechanic.  And after your note, I'm still trying to figure out what you are talking about. Everything is square, aligned, tight, leak free and legitimate.  As for the 12mm socket on the left-most stud/header (right in the picture),  I was wondering where that went.  🙂  That lasted the entire test ride.  

On the muffler, it was a couple of mm too tight so I had to have it expanded.  I didn't have both parts with me at the muffler shop. so I err'd in the large side vs having to return to the shop.  Yes in he pic, the gasket is missing.  Again, it's all sealed, buttoned, tight and as it should be.  I'm looking forward to the new muffler/can.

Edited by ride2little
  • Like 1

Hi Folks,

Did the 2wheel dyno tune with full akrapovic header and muffler back in July.   Ridiculous how much power improvement there is.  Downside is you can barely use 2nd gear off road, just to much power!  Plus side you can run in 3rd all day long!  Hardly louder than factory exhaust unless you get on throttle hard which does make it bark a little.   Also Dyno tunes fan to run at much lower temp so you get a little more fan action and slight backfire I believe because fueling ratchets down rather than slamming shut with factory tune.  Weight savings is substantial 9 pounds would be close.

Cheers 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Can anyone comment on the fit and finish of the Arrow and Dominator headers?  Especially around the front where they clear the front of the skid plate?  I have an AXP skid plate and I've seen some headers (can't remember the brand) that fit too close to aftermarket plates.  Dominator's low price has me wondering how well it'll clear.

I'll be using the stock muffler for a while.  Sending my ECU out for a reflash this week.

2 hours ago, SociallyStunted said:

Can anyone comment on the fit and finish of the Arrow and Dominator headers?  Especially around the front where they clear the front of the skid plate?  I have an AXP skid plate and I've seen some headers (can't remember the brand) that fit too close to aftermarket plates.  Dominator's low price has me wondering how well it'll clear.

I'll be using the stock muffler for a while.  Sending my ECU out for a reflash this week.

I've got the Arrow Titanium headers and upgraded Yamaha HD bash plate. No clearance issues at all, and the Arrow is a real thing of beauty and awesome quality. It even comes with high temp lube for mating and a spring puller. Granted, more expensive than stainless but only 1.2kg and absolutely awesome. I genuinely thought it was an empty cardboard box when it arrived as soooo light.

Rich

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering if the MT07 headers are a direct fit with those frame lower links and skid plates out there.

... Anyone tried fitting some cheaper MT07 headers ? ... or maybe some other headers that could be compatible.