Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Noob Seeks Dirty Adventures w/Strangers

Longhaulpaul

Hello from New Hampshire. 

Hoping to learn and hopefully offer some experiences to this group. My goal is to set up my Tenere as a long distance adventure bike, as I tend to ride a few miles every year. 

I am in the middle of a million mile Journey, Chasing the Cure for MS. 
I ride, write and raise money for charity as I travel the country as a patient myself, sharing my story with others. 

Yamaha USA is continuing to support  my Journey by donating a Tenere 700 to my efforts and inviting me as a guest to national events.  My job, is to wear stuff out!  

I ride 60-80,000 miles each year and I chose to ride Yamahas because I can depend on them every single day. 
I'm confident the T7 will be rock solid and reliable as well. 

I am attempting to survive on the road from speaking at events, selling swag on my website, writing articles and corporate sponsorships. I have yet to break even! 

Growing my social media helps me secure additional fiscal sponsors. 

You can follow my story on Facebook and Instagram as well as subscribing to my Youtube channel. There will be lots of T7 content, I promise!

My website is Longhaulpaul.com

longhaulpaul 

Spoiler

4C54F772-C3CB-42A8-B938-82F8AB3C0A3B.jpeg

Edited by Longhaulpaul
Changes
  • Like 7

Welcome to the forum!

Going from the Star Venture to T7 will be like going from a Caddy to a Jeep. Will you keep the SV? Or is this a swap out?

Top items to install once you get the bike?

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Longhaulpaul said:

Hello from New Hampshire. 

Hoping to learn and hopefully offer some experiences to this group. My goal is to set up my Tenere as a long distance adventure bike, as I tend to ride a few miles every year. 

I am in the middle of a million mile Journey, Chasing the Cure for MS. 
I ride, write and raise money for charity as I travel the country as a patient myself, sharing my story with others. 

Yamaha USA is continuing to support  my Journey by donating a Tenere 700 to my efforts and inviting me as a guest to national events. I do not work or receive monetary compensation from Yamaha.

i do not speak for or represent Yamaha in any capacity.  My job, is to wear stuff out!  

I ride 60-80,000 miles each year and I chose to ride Yamahas because I can depend on them every single day. 
I'm confident the T7 will be rock solid and reliable as well. 

I am attempting to survive on the road from speaking at events, selling swag on my website, writing articles and corporate sponsorships. I have yet to break even! 

Growing my social media helps me secure additional fiscal sponsors. 

You can follow my story on Facebook and Instagram as well as subscribing to my Youtube channel. There will be lots of T7 content, I promise!

My website is Longhaulpaul.com

longhaulpaul 

Reveal hidden contents

4C54F772-C3CB-42A8-B938-82F8AB3C0A3B.jpeg

Paul, I have been aware of you and your ride for a while. We are honored to have you on our forum! We have a "long ride reports" section and would love to see you start a thread there and update it once in a while. 

Thanks for joining our forum! Let me know if there is anything we can do to help you. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, slakdawg said:

Welcome to the forum!

Going from the Star Venture to T7 will be like going from a Caddy to a Jeep. Will you keep the SV? Or is this a swap out?

Top items to install once you get the bike?

Cheers,

Rob

It was easier than I thought going from the S10 to the Venture, so I think it will be fine.  I'll ride anything that's running! 

for me, with 1000 mile day averages, ergonomics and storage are big.

i have not ridden it, but I am assuming I will add: 

Custom seat, windshield, hard bags, trunk and extra fuel capacity. (7-10 gallons total works well for 16 hour days) 
throttle lock, gps, cellphone, radar, spot tracker, heated gear plugs, chain Oiler, tubeless kit, volt meter, heated grips, camera mounts, extra lighting and a big fat horn are my starting points. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Longhaulpaul said:

It was easier than I thought going from the S10 to the Venture, so I think it will be fine.  I'll ride anything that's running! 

for me, with 1000 mile day averages, ergonomics and storage are big.

i have not ridden it, but I am assuming I will add: 

Custom seat, windshield, hard bags, trunk and extra fuel capacity. (7-10 gallons total works well for 16 hour days) 
throttle lock, gps, cellphone, radar, spot tracker, heated gear plugs, chain Oiler, tubeless kit, volt meter, heated grips, camera mounts, extra lighting and a big fat horn are my starting points. 

Great list. 

Mind discussing your options for:

Throttle lock (I'm thinking Atlas)

Tubeless kit (I've got Outex on the way). Will you convert the front rim?

Big fat horn (I use the Stebel on my S10, probably try to shoehorn one on the T7) 

17 minutes ago, slakdawg said:

Great list. 

Mind discussing your options for:

Throttle lock (I'm thinking Atlas)

Tubeless kit (I've got Outex on the way). Will you convert the front rim?

Big fat horn (I use the Stebel on my S10, probably try to shoehorn one on the T7) 

With the exception of the Venture, I have used Vista Cruise on my last 20 bikes or so.
works great for what I use it for (scratching myself, playing with the gps or sending a fax). I'm not one to set the cruise and ride. I travel at a fairly good clip and have never been comfortable with CC on any vehicle I've owned, especially bikes. It's a momentary usage device for me. 
Ordered the Outex tubeless kit as well, I've been tubeless for the last 800,000 miles, and prefer plugging vs roadside gymnastics for a flat. Not worried about the front rim. It is either going to seal or not, I'll know the first time I take a ride after installing. 
Maybe swap to a Denali split bomb horn. 
Loud horns do save lives. 

• Like 1

Love the integrated CC on the S10. And feel lost without some sort of speed maintainer, even when just commuting to work. It's nice the scratch behind the ears every once in a while. I already have a Go Cruise but like the Atlas as a cleaner install and out of the hand grip area. Or these simple Caterpillar o-rings might be good too.

I'm planning on doing the same with the tubeless kit. Or until I decide to order a second set of rims.

I separated my Stebel Nautilus and mounted the horn to the fork on the S10. Pump went in right fairing where stock toolkit was. Works great and keeps the air pump out of the elements. Might try something similar.

airhorn.jpg

Welcome to the forum 👍😁.. Can't wait to see your ride report if you decide to start one in our section here. 

Followed on Instagram. 👍

• Premium Member

“ I tend to ride a few miles every year” 

that’s a bit of an understatement Paul😉🤣

Welcome to the group Paul! I won’t need to bet you will be the first to put 100,000 on the CP2... 🙌🙌🤞🙌

• Like 3

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Longhaulpaul said:

..........., chain Oiler, ...........starting points. 

Tutoro is a Great Oiler

• Like 1