Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

How to remove /install Tenere 700 spark arrester in exhaust for more sound

Cruizin

The end cap of exhaust has 4 screws . Remove em and remove the end cap.

IMG_20200605_090332.jpg

Remove em and pull the cap off and there is the restrictive spark arrester. 

IMG_20200605_090346.jpg

Remove those four nuts and pull it out, but don't toss it, you need this if you ever ride off road. This stops you from causing multi million dollar forest fires. 

This is what it looks like after you remove the spark arrestor 

IMG_20200605_090352.jpg

Put the four nuts back on the studs so ya don't lose em, then put the cap back on and reinstall the four cap screws.

The sound quality is much improved without the spark arrestor and quite a bit louder. Sounds great ! 

I'm happy that Yamaha made it so easy to remove the spark arrestor for street riding, and easy to re install it for dirt riding. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

The end cap of exhaust has 4 screws . Remove em and remove the end cap.

The sound quality is much improved without the spark arrestor and quite a bit louder. Sounds great ! 

I'm happy that Yamaha made it so easy to remove the spark arrestor for street riding, and easy to re install it for dirt riding. 

Well now we need a sound clip!

• Like 2

I have seen in another thread (I think on ADVrider) that taking out the spark arrester makes it so the hot exhaust isn’t directed completely out of the muffler, so the end cap starts to get discolored over time. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, Baggey22 said:

I have seen in another thread (I think on ADVrider) that taking out the spark arrester makes it so the hot exhaust isn’t directed completely out of the muffler, so the end cap starts to get discolored over time. 

Making up a short Exit (with reasonable fit diameter) pipe with a flange to bolt in would cure that. 

In Europe the exhaust is diferent... I've try to do the same but must cut it... If it was like that one, probably didn't bought the Leovince...

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, Lupan said:

In Europe the exhaust is diferent... I've try to do the same but must cut it... If it was like that one, probably didn't bought the Leovince...

Yep, European Exhaust different, we have no spark arrestor. And our exit pipe section is welded in.

Sounds too easy!

I won't be doing any cutting, but if it's bolt of bolt on I'm in.

Hopefully Australian models will be as easy.

Cruizin are you worried about fueling issues or warranty after removing the SA? The back pressure inside the system would be quite different after removal no? Or is that all being done by the Cat underneath the bike?

Just removed the end cap off my exhaust, not so easy job to remove spark arrestor need to cut and drill, seems Australian models are the same exhaust as EU bikes, I'm leaving it alone.

15 hours ago, Baggey22 said:

I haven't noticed any discoloring yet, but will keep an eye on it.  The inside of the exhaust cap will get discolored no matter anyways. 

12 hours ago, DWEL700 said:

Cruizin are you worried about fueling issues or warranty after removing the SA? The back pressure inside the system would be quite different after removal no? Or is that all being done by the Cat underneath the bike?

No, it's just a spark arrestor. It will open up flow of exhaust a little, but that doesn't hurt fueling at all. I'll have @2 Wheel DynoWorks make a tune for me to make sure, and probably pick up some HP and TQ as well.   But removing a spark arrestor alone will not hurt the bike. 

16 hours ago, Baggey22 said:

Yes, the end cap will discolour, I mentioned it on ADV rider as I removed it close to 2 weeks ago, one of the first to notice it and take it out. Within a few days the end cap became yellowish/brown. only noticeable next to a T7 without it removed (which looks silver and much cleaner). Some i know, are spray painting the end cap black. Also note some parks check if you have a spark arrestor in, if not, you will get a hefty fine. 

Warranty will be affected if they know and care to make a note of it. During the first service they note down any mods, luckily the mechanic at the dealer was nice enough to tell me he won't mention it in the report to Yamaha, as it would have voided the warranty since back pressure is affected. They also inspect the oil and oil filter in the first service to make note of how much metal comes out (at least at my dealer), only thing was I was the first T7 in the area to get to 1k first service, so comparisons were done with their other CP2 engines. 

Also check your rear chain adjusters, they come loose. 

Edited by ScorpionT16
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ScorpionT16 said:

Yes, the end cap will discolour, I mentioned it on ADV rider as I removed it close to 2 weeks ago, one of the first to notice it and take it out. Within a few days the end cap became yellowish/brown. only noticeable next to a T7 without it removed (which looks silver and much cleaner). Some i know, are spray painting the end cap black. Also note some parks check if you have a spark arrestor in, if not, you will get a hefty fine. 

Warranty will be affected if they know and care to make a note of it. During the first service they note down any mods, luckily the mechanic at the dealer was nice enough to tell me he won't mention it in the report to Yamaha, as it would have voided the warranty since back pressure is affected. They also inspect the oil and oil filter in the first service to make note of how much metal comes out (at least at my dealer), only thing was I was the first T7 in the area to get to 1k first service, so comparisons were done with their other CP2 engines. 

Also check your rear chain adjusters, they come loose. 

Thanks! You gave me the idea last week when you posted on ADVrider.   Im not too worried about discoloration of the end cap. 

Yes, any riding in offroad requires a spark arrestor. Luckily, it takes five-10 minutes to reinstall. 

Dealers don't service my bikes.  I do my own oil changes, fuel injector calibrations, valve checks and such. I only take my bikes to the dealer if the engine fails. And, I have never had to.  (this is why I dont buy BMW or KTM streetbikes). 🤨

I will be having my ECU flashed for the extra HP and TQ, same as thousands from my MT07 forum and there have been no issues. This is a rock solid engine.   

I don't understand why people pay dealers to do the first or any service on their bikes for those huge fees. But, to ea their own.  

• Like 1

I am also considering buying a spare spark arrestor, and cutting the screen end off of it and installing the plate/small pipe end on to help direct exhaust out the end cap hole.   I can ride that for street, install the real spark arrestor for offroad. 

19 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

Thanks! You gave me the idea last week when you posted on ADVrider.   Im not too worried about discoloration of the end cap. 

Yes, any riding in offroad requires a spark arrestor. Luckily, it takes five-10 minutes to reinstall. 

Dealers don't service my bikes.  I do my own oil changes, fuel injector calibrations, valve checks and such. I only take my bikes to the dealer if the engine fails. And, I have never had to.  (this is why I dont buy BMW or KTM streetbikes). 🤨

I will be having my ECU flashed for the extra HP and TQ, same as thousands from my MT07 forum and there have been no issues. This is a rock solid engine.   

I don't understand why people pay dealers to do the first or any service on their bikes for those huge fees. But, to ea their own.  

I do my own service as-well, however this is my first new bike, and I asked the dealer If I could do the first service myself with receipts, they said If I do, they will not honour any warranty issues. So I bite the bullet, seeing as its a new 2021 model on our shore, even things like the dead headlight @FAR&FURTHERreported would suck if  not covered because I wanted to save money on an oil change, they also gave a good rate and have mouths to feed in these times as-well, they came around to get me the T7 early and a bunch of parts at discount, they way I see it was the extra cost was just to keep the warranty for the year and thank them for their service, esp in these times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ScorpionT16 said:

I do my own service as-well, however this is my first new bike, and I asked the dealer If I could do the first service myself with receipts, they said If I do, they will not honour any warranty issues. So I bite the bullet, seeing as its a new 2021 model on our shore, even things like the dead headlight @FAR&FURTHERreported would suck if  not covered because I wanted to save money on an oil change, they also gave a good rate and have mouths to feed in these times as-well, they came around to get me the T7 early and a bunch of parts at discount, they way I see it was the extra cost was just to keep the warranty for the year and thank them for their service, esp in these times. 

In the USA we have protection in the form of the Magnuson Moss Warranty act. Dealers here can't get away with forcing you to pay them for simple oil changes or vehicle maintenance.  Almost every time i hear a dealer say this, I have advised people to march right back in quoting the Magnuson Moss Act and the dealer always starts singing a different tune. Because, in the USA it's the law. 

They have to prove beyond shadow of a doubt that any work done on the bike actually caused engine damage. I know people who have flashed their ECU's and changed exhaust on different bikes and still gotten warranty work done. 

Hell, in Seattle Yamaha dealers send their customers to @2 Wheel DynoWorks to have their ECU's flashed and exhaust kits installed. 

• Like 2

I mean, by all accounts everyone can do as they please, personally i won't be going to such lengths just to save a minisucle amount on a something that already cost over $14k, and a dealer with real human beings that have hard costs like any other business and came through with the bike in these times, they could have shut doors like many other businesses, with the EDP Yamaha already saved us $400 plus we got a free bag. I just did it for the first service, the rest I can do 🙂

Also, being a Yamaha dedicated dealer, they are logging down any issues they notice to send to Yamaha HQ and improve on the next bikes during the first service, dealer has already informed them to increase the Torque on the chain adjuster bolts, and rear signals as 1 other has seen it keep popping out. 

Edited by ScorpionT16
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I urge everyone in the USA to read this 

The Magnuson-Moss Act protects you from dealers that refuse to honor their manufacturer warranty. Read more about this here

6 minutes ago, ScorpionT16 said:

I mean, by all accounts everyone can do as they please, personally i won't be going to such lengths just to save a minisucle amount on a something that already cost over $14k, and a dealer with real human beings that have hard costs like any other business and came through with the bike in these times, they could have shut doors like many other businesses, with the EDP Yamaha already saved us $400 plus we got a free bag. I just did it for the first service, the rest I can do 🙂

Also, being a Yamaha dedicated dealer, they are logging down any issues they notice to send to Yamaha HQ and improve on the next bikes during the first service, dealer has already informed them to increase the Torque on the chain adjuster bolts, and rear signals as 1 other has seen it keep popping out. 

Some dealers want $250 or more for the first service. I do it myself for $25.  But hey., i see your reasoning and especially if your dealer is telling you that they will void your freaking warranty if you don't pay them to do it. 

Yeah . I burned down the park , but i sounded good . Come on ... 🤨

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Dislike 1

34 minutes ago, Janson said:

Yeah . I burned down the park , but i sounded good . Come on ... 🤨

Really @Janson ?

Did you not read the post? I put the spark arrestors back on whenever I ride offroad or even on road near dry grass. 

Or did you just come here looking to start shet? 

This is a much more safer alternative than buying an aftermarket exhaust with no Spark Arrestors in them, as many people do. 

Ok . Sorry abaut that . What i mean is , not so conciderate people may risk a minor catastrophe just for the sake of good sound . 

Again , sorry if i steped on some toes here ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Janson said:

Ok . Sorry abaut that . What i mean is , not so conciderate people may risk a minor catastrophe just for the sake of good sound . 

Again , sorry if i steped on some toes here ...

No need to apologize, my toes are fine and I enjoy friendly banter.   Here in the west, we have horrible forest fires. I don't even go offroad when its dry and very hot, as just parking the bike near grass starts a fire from the hot exhaust. There are cops on four wheelers checking bikes for off road stickers and USFS approved spark arrestors.